Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
2. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
3. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
4. What happens to Stephen after being pushed into a water-filled ditch on a cold day?
5. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
6. Relate Mr. Casey's account of an argument with a lady.
7. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
This section contains 672 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)