|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(c) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector punishes Stephen again.
2. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a dedication to better study
(b) a chance to enter the seminary
(c) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(d) a time off for good behavior
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(b) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(c) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(d) a choice between flogging or the stocks
4. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
5. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) stepped on her toes
(c) slapped her with his gloves
(d) spit tobacco juice in her eye
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
2. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)