|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(b) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(c) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(d) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
2. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It is choked with emotion.
(b) It fails him completely.
(c) It is low and murmuring.
(d) It becomes stronger.
3. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(b) They put him to sleep.
(c) They give him a good laugh.
(d) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
4. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) The Count of Monte Cristo
(b) The Pickwick Papers
(c) the newspaper
(d) comic books
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) nice sentences
(b) large print
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) funny illustrations
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
2. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
3. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
4. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)