|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) market carts
(b) horse drawn trams
(c) shank's mare
(d) new motor buses
2. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) on a houseboat
(b) in an apartment in London
(c) in a three storey house in Dublin
(d) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
3. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He helps her off the tram.
(c) He sits her in his lap.
(d) He calls her Mercedes.
4. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholic education versus public education
(b) Coming of age
(c) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(d) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
5. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of eavesdropping
(c) his habit of cutting classes
(d) his habit of obedience
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
2. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
3. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
4. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
5. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)