|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) odes by Keats
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) the Canterbury Tales
(d) newspaper headlines
2. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
(a) the tears of the virgin Mary
(b) faces of saints
(c) the girl Emma begging bread
(d) his sins replayed before him
3. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as a Jesuit
(b) as an agnostic
(c) as an atheist
(d) as a hypocrite
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she was in a hurry to leave
(c) that she was going to cry
(d) that she wore too much perfume
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) funny illustrations
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) nice sentences
Short Answer Questions
1. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
2. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
3. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
4. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
5. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)