|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to confess his sins daily
(b) to enter the priesthood
(c) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(d) to work harder at his lessons
2. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(b) to find a chapel in which to confess
(c) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(d) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
3. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) The Pickwick Papers
(b) The Count of Monte Cristo
(c) the newspaper
(d) comic books
4. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How she is too old for him.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How he would like to kick her.
5. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(b) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(c) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(d) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
2. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
3. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)