|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
2. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(b) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(c) to find a chapel in which to confess
(d) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
3. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as an agnostic
(b) as a Jesuit
(c) as a hypocrite
(d) as an atheist
4. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his sister's wedding
(b) a relapse of his illness
(c) Christmas holidays
(d) his father's heart attack
5. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) all classes will be shortened
(b) confession will be heard
(c) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
(d) a banquet will be served
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
2. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
4. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
5. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)