|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) funny illustrations
(b) large print
(c) nice sentences
(d) margin notes he wrote
2. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(d) Catholic education versus public education
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the prison for those who commit murder
(b) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
(c) the heads of people who willfully sin
(d) the eternal suffering in hell
4. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
(a) Adam and Eve are contrasted with Christ.
(b) Pharaoh is contrasted with Christ.
(c) Moses is contrasted with Christ.
(d) Pontius Pilate is contrasted with christ.
5. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
2. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
3. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
5. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)