|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(b) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(c) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(d) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
2. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) an early dismissal for the next few days
(b) a retreat over the next few days
(c) tests for a scholarship program
(d) extra credit for serving as altarboys
3. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topics of death and judgment
(b) the topic of a caring God
(c) the topics of love and forgiveness
(d) the topic of Pergatory
4. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) delivering newspapers
(b) doing laundry
(c) carrying messages
(d) unpacking boxes
5. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It is choked with emotion.
(b) It fails him completely.
(c) It becomes stronger.
(d) It is low and murmuring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
2. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
3. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
4. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
5. What public transportation does Stephen take?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)