|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(b) His mother
2. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to lead a salute to the rector
(b) to pretend to plug up his ears
(c) to ask the rector a difficult question
(d) to put an apple on the rector's desk
3. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(b) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(c) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(d) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) confession and renewal
(b) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(c) mortifying the flesh
(d) sin and salvation
5. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while friends are weeping over the coffin
(b) while someone is dying
(c) while the world comes to an end
(d) while committing a deliberate sin
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
2. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
3. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
4. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
5. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)