|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) figures out their meanings
(b) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(c) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
2. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(b) Coming of age
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(b) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(c) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(d) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
4. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he has a sweet to eat
(d) only when he thinks of Mercedes
5. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Cork
(b) to Belfast
(c) to Gallway
(d) to Clongowes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
2. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
3. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
5. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)