|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) figures out their meanings
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
2. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) humming softly to himself
(b) shutting out sound by concentration on home
(c) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(d) putting beans in his ears
3. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(c) Minnie Cooper
(d) Bentley Ann
4. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Clongowes
(b) to Gallway
(c) to Cork
(d) to Belfast
5. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he is still running a fever
(b) because his glasses are broken
(c) because he was perfect on his exams
(d) because he broke his arm
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
2. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
3. What job is given to Stephen?
4. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
5. What is a major theme of the book?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)