|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) humming softly to himself
(b) shutting out sound by concentration on home
(c) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(d) putting beans in his ears
2. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) stream of consciousness
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) chronological account
3. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his father's heart attack
(b) Christmas holidays
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) a relapse of his illness
4. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) The Pickwick Papers
(b) comic books
(c) the newspaper
(d) The Count of Monte Cristo
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
2. What is a major theme of the book?
3. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
4. When does Stephen feel happy?
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)