|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are placed in hot water.
(b) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(c) They are pressed against the wall.
(d) They are tied behind his back.
2. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) kissing his mother before bedtime
(c) writing letters to Eileen
(d) wetting his bed
3. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(b) He has a broken leg.
(c) He drives a new carriage.
(d) He has grown too senile.
4. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Coming of age
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) funny illustrations
(b) nice sentences
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) large print
Short Answer Questions
1. By summer, where has the family moved?
2. For what does Stephen continually search?
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
4. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
5. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)