|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that she was going to cry
(d) that she was in a hurry to leave
2. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topics of love and forgiveness
(b) the topics of death and judgment
(c) the topic of Pergatory
(d) the topic of a caring God
3. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis of Assissi
(b) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
(c) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
(d) The Virgin Mary
4. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) nice sentences
(b) funny illustrations
(c) large print
(d) margin notes he wrote
5. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(d) the girl from the tram
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
2. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
4. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)