|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(b) the girl from the tram
2. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It is choked with emotion.
(b) It fails him completely.
(c) It is low and murmuring.
(d) It becomes stronger.
3. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(b) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(c) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(d) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
4. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) Christmas holidays
(b) his sister's wedding
(c) a relapse of his illness
(d) his father's heart attack
5. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They spit in the holy water.
(b) They drank communion wine.
(c) They went to sea.
(d) They stole from the collection box.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
2. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
3. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
4. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
5. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)