|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has grown too senile.
(b) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He drives a new carriage.
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he is still running a fever
(b) because his glasses are broken
(c) because he was perfect on his exams
(d) because he broke his arm
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(b) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(c) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(d) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was going to cry
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that her hat was on backwards
5. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
(b) They plan to send him to England to study.
(c) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(d) From then on he will be home schooled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
2. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
3. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)