|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Stephen and Father
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Dante and Uncle Charles
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
2. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(b) Coming of age
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Catholicism versus Protestantism
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She can order her Son to do her will.
(b) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(c) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(d) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
4. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) slapped her with his gloves
5. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(b) to enter the priesthood
(c) to confess his sins daily
(d) to work harder at his lessons
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
2. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
3. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
4. Who is Mike Flynn?
5. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)