|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(c) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(d) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
2. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(b) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(c) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(d) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
3. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(b) the girl from the tram
4. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the lack of faith
(c) the wasting fires of lust
(d) the bad influences of his friends
5. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(b) a wallowing in sinful mire
(c) a slap in the face of God
(d) a giving in to our naturally base natures
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
2. What was Stephen's early song?
3. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
4. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
5. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)