|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That he will find salvation in a field.
(b) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(c) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(d) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
2. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) ride a mare in the field
(b) pretend to be pirates
(c) play football
(d) look for buried treasure
3. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(b) Coming of age
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a tattle tale
(b) as an enemy
(c) as a sneak
(d) as a hero
5. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(b) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(c) She can order her Son to do her will.
(d) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen resolve to do?
2. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
3. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
4. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
5. Who is Mike Flynn?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)