|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
(a) euphoric and filled with grace
(b) glad that it is over but feeling the same
(c) happy to tell everyone his joy
(d) afraid he will die before receiving holy communion
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
(b) run away from the school
(c) visit the rector
(d) call the police
3. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while the world comes to an end
(b) while friends are weeping over the coffin
(c) while someone is dying
(d) while committing a deliberate sin
4. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) a retreat over the next few days
(b) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(c) tests for a scholarship program
(d) an early dismissal for the next few days
5. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) the filthy pictures he had drawn
(b) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
(c) the ribald poetery he wrote
(d) peeping on girls in their bath
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the preacher define sin?
2. What does Stephen resolve to do?
3. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
4. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
5. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)