|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) an early dismissal for the next few days
(b) a retreat over the next few days
(c) tests for a scholarship program
(d) extra credit for serving as altarboys
2. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(b) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
3. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) The Virgin Mary
(b) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
(c) Saint Francis of Assissi
(d) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) stream of consciousness
(c) chronological account
(d) metaphor and irony
5. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(b) back into their old home
(c) to a small house in Belfast
(d) to an apartment in London
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
2. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
3. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
4. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
5. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)