|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
(a) just 14
(b) about 19
(c) only 16
(d) already 21
2. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It fails him completely.
(b) It is choked with emotion.
(c) It becomes stronger.
(d) It is low and murmuring.
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(b) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(c) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(d) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
4. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to ask the rector a difficult question
(b) to lead a salute to the rector
(c) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(d) to pretend to plug up his ears
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They put him to sleep.
(b) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
(c) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(d) They give him a good laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
2. What is a major theme of the book?
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
4. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
5. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)