|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Parnell
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Arnall
2. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his Mercedes
(b) for a job
(c) for his fortune
(d) for his friend Aubrey
3. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) sin and salvation
(b) confession and renewal
(c) mortifying the flesh
(d) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
4. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(b) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
5. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) justified that he acted only out of nature
(b) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
(c) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(d) numbed as though he had not gone in
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
2. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
3. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
4. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
5. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)