|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
2. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the prison for those who commit murder
(b) the eternal suffering in hell
(c) the heads of people who willfully sin
(d) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
3. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
(a) He feels ashamed of his father's financial difficulties.
(b) He feels his soul become childlike.
(c) He feels all grown up.
(d) He feels like the retreat is like falling into a ditch.
4. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(b) That he will find salvation in a field.
(c) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(d) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
5. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
2. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
3. How does the preacher define sin?
4. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
5. When does Stephen feel happy?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)