|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
(b) The Virgin Mary
(c) Saint Francis of Assissi
(d) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
2. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) a job interview
(d) the auction of his property
3. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topics of death and judgment
(b) the topic of a caring God
(c) the topic of Pergatory
(d) the topics of love and forgiveness
4. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the Virgin Mary
(b) the priest is watching him
(c) the peacefulness of the chapel
(d) the fear of God
5. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(b) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(c) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(d) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
2. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
3. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
4. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
5. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)