|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides to avenge Calogrenant?
(a) Sir Gawain.
2. What does Lunete advise Laudine to do?
(a) To forget about Yvain.
(b) To find someone to defend the spring.
(c) To chase Yvain and marry him.
(d) To marry Sir Gawain.
3. What is said to happen if a man can lift the slab in the church's cemetery unaided?
(a) All the foreign prisoners will go free.
(b) All the spirits of the cemetery will be free.
(c) All the gold underneath will belong to him.
(d) He will be granted safe passage on his quest.
4. When Yvain enters a strongly fortified town, who do he and the lion end up fighting?
(a) A wealthy man's sons.
(b) Two giants.
(c) Sir Gawain.
(d) Hairpin of the Mountain.
5. What does the maiden want who approaches Lancelot, after his fight with the proud knight who challenged him?
(a) His agreement to marry her.
(b) The defeated knight's head.
(c) The defeated knight's hand in marriage.
(d) That he lay with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Kay make?
2. What are the terms Yvain must agree to in order to be allowed to leave to attend King Arthur's tournaments?
3. Where does Meleagant imprison Lancelot?
4. When the lion joins in Yvain's fight, what quality does he demonstrate?
5. What does the lion prepare to do when he thinks Yvain is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some instances in which Lancelot's appeal to women is depicted?
2. Why does Yvain go in search of the spring?
3. How is Lunete's identity foreshadowed when Yvain comes across her as a prisoner?
4. What does Lancelot's ability to lift the stone slab in the church's cemetery in The Knight of the Cart foreshadow?
5. What shame follows Lancelot throughout his adventures in The Knight of the Cart?
6. In the beginning of The Knight with the Lion, Calogrenant's declaration that he will tell a tale of his dishonor foreshadows what?
7. With Kay insisting upon leaving after the knight issues a challenge, what qualities does he show and how does it affect the Queen in The Knight of the Cart?
8. What is the dispute between the two daughters of the Lord of Blackthorn?
9. Why does Lunete offer to help Yvain escape when he is trapped?
10. What are two ways that Yvain shows his love for Laudine?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)