|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what millennium is the story set?
2. What symbol leads Artemis to the reading of the Book?
3. What is on the headrest of the vessel Holly will travel in?
4. Holly decides to bypass water in her flight and instead flies over what?
5. Who does Nguyen pretend to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Artemis's true motivation for his quest?
2. How do Holly's choices show her to be an independent creature?
3. What objects are used to indicate that this is a modern/futuristic novel?
4. How does Artemis's age conflict with his task?
5. How is the book set up as a fantasy in the first chapter?
6. Why does Holly lie to Root about her magic being low?
7. What is the Ritual?
8. Specifically, how do Butler and Artemis find Holly?
9. How is the sprite's way of life unexpected?
10. Explain Holly's journey to the surface in detail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the relationship of Cudgeon and Root. Show its negative effects on each of the commanders and on the situation that they are trying to resolve.
Essay Topic 2
How is trickery used throughout the novel? How does the trickery add to the suspense of the tale? How does the trickery make the characters more dynamic?
Essay Topic 3
From the onset of the tale to the end, show how magic is a major theme of the novel.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)