|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first question an artist must ask of themselves is: "What was the artist trying to ___________?"
2. The tragedy of lost graduate students is widespread, but many __________ ignore it, according to the authors.
(a) Hiring committees.
3. Everyone feels _________ at some point for not being recognized for their art, and they will check to see how they rank regularly.
4. ____________ asked three questions of the artist, according to the authors in this first part of the book.
(a) Henry James.
(b) William James.
(c) Bill James.
(d) Robert James.
5. With ________, perfection is impossible to achieve because it is innovative, according to the authors.
6. It's interesting to point out that art teachers have ________ reputations in the art world, according to the authors.
7. While many schools can hire artists to be teachers at their schools, they might not help to sustain the artist's ability to _______________.
(a) Move forward.
(b) Get noticed.
(c) Do their own work.
(d) Thrive under pressure.
8. New artwork enlarges ___________, according to the authors of this book, which is why new things must be tried.
9. A true artist understands that ___________ will show the diligence of their art practice and goals, according to the authors.
(b) Hard work.
(c) The right techniques.
(d) The right materials.
10. ___________ is often a reward in itself and helps an artist to share their ideas with others, which can improve art as well.
(a) Not being hired.
(b) Community art making.
(c) Being a student.
11. The authors point out, however, that an artist can only make progress when they are challenging _____________ with art.
12. _______ programs in collage have an important and positive function, though they are still unpopular in the creative world.
13. __________ often follows a particular plan, albeit sometimes one that takes great skill to achieve, according to the authors.
14. Art is scary in the way that it does not _________ to the artist, according to the authors. If a person is lazy about art, their art will be lazy too.
(c) Pass judgment.
15. Artists see themselves as competing not with each other, but to produce the best ___________according to the authors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes, this __________ work of being an artist can get in the way, according to the authors.
2. The artist must begin to consider what they value in their art and then ___________ the artwork accordingly.
3. When teachers stop being ___________, they also often stop making their own art, according to the authors.
4. The production of art will be made easier down the road if a person strives to learn basic ______________, according to the authors.
5. One of the most serious barriers to doing good art is letting ________________ throw the artist into uncertainty.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)