|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Talia and Skif try to make happen?
2. What does Talia's guard tell her?
3. What do her ambushers seem determined to do?
4. How does Talia fight back?
5. What is Talia's standing among the students and instructors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the students return from Midwinter Festival?
2. What does Talia do at the memorial service for Beltren?
3. What does Talia decide she needs to do as she is growing in her gift and duties?
4. What does Talia learn about Herald's Gifts?
5. What does Skif ask of Talia and how does Talia respond?
6. How is Talia's life at the Collegium three years after her arrival?
7. Who does Talia confide in and what does he tell her?
8. How does Talia learn what one of her major her gifts is?
9. What does Skif tell Talia about the Death Bell?
10. Why is Skif dressed in black one night and why does Talia do the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. What do you think is the purpose of irony? Discuss the irony of the situation that Talia is reading a book on Heralds and Companions and is suddenly "chosen" by Rolan, a Companion. What other irony occurs in Arrows of the Queen? Discuss two or three incidences of irony and whether they enhance your reading experience.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Arrows of the Queen.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Arrows of the Queen.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Arrows of the Queen is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Skif. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? How do they compare as to the way they are raised before being chosen? Do you think they will both become good Heralds? Why or why not.Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Rolan. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character? How do the fact that they are different species influence your response to them?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Arrows of the Queen help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)