|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do her ambushers do?
2. Who is questioning Skif?
3. What causes Elspeth's bratty personality to change?
4. Why is Selenay upset?
5. What do Talia and the Queen realize as Talia is helping the Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes a significant change in Elspeth's attitude towards companions?
2. How is Talia's life at the Collegium three years after her arrival?
3. How does Ylsa help the Queen learn who killed Ylsa?
4. Who does Talia confide in and what does he tell her?
5. What does Talia learn about Hulda's actions concerning Elspeth?
6. What other gifts does it appear Talia possesses?
7. How does the Queen retrieve the arrows that killed Ylsa?
8. How is Talia saved from drowning?
9. What is disconcerting about Elspeth?
10. What does Skif tell Talia about the Death Bell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Sherrill approaches Talia before leaving on Herald business to explain to Talia about sex and birth control. It is obvious that the sexual mores of the Heralds is more liberal than those in which Talia is raised. Do you think Talia will change her sexual mores eventually? Why? Do most people discard beliefs in which they are raised if they begin living in a community with different beliefs? What do you think this says about beliefs?
2. Ylsa and Keren are two women who are lovers. Though few people in the community live a homosexual lifestyle, the women are accepted for who they are and are not condemned. Do you believe they should be accepted for who they are? Discuss their life as Heralds, which is similar to being soldiers, in light of the current debate about gays serving openly in the military.
3. As Talia grows and matures, her beliefs about many things change. Discuss Talia's changing in light of your own life as you left home and meet other people who thought differently from your own community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Arrows of the Queen.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Arrows of the Queen. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Arrows of the Queen. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Talia is harassed by a group of students called "Blues," who, for the most part are children of nobles in the Kingdom of Valdemar. Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief summary of who is harassing Talia, why, and the ways they are harassing her. Be sure to cite specific examples to demonstrate your exposition.
2. Do you think the "noble" born should be entitled to a privileged life by virtue of their birth? Why or why not?
3. Should nobility be awarded based upon one's achievements and character rather than birth? How would that system work?
4. Do you think the countries that still have an existent system of nobility will eventually discard it? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)