|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the students return from Midwinter Festival?
2. What is odd about what happens when a Herald dies?
3. What do her ambushers seem determined to do?
4. What can give Heralds a headache?
5. How does Talia break off her connection to Ylsa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Talia confide in and what does he tell her?
2. How does Talia learn about Ylsa's death?
3. What does Talia do at the memorial service for Beltren?
4. How is Talia's life at the Collegium three years after her arrival?
5. Why is Skif dressed in black one night and why does Talia do the same?
6. How does Talia learn what one of her major her gifts is?
7. What does the Queen ask of Talia and what is Talia's response?
8. What does Skif tell Talia about the Death Bell?
9. What subject does Sherrill broach with Talia before Sherrill leaves on her first assignment?
10. What does Talia ask Skif to do and how does she rescue him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Arrows of the Queen is successful as a fantasy novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Mercedes Lackey's Herald and Companion series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Arrows of the Queen belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Arrows of the Queen based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Arrows of the Queen is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Arrows of the Queen is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? What about the fact that it is a fantasy novel? Explain.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)