|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Talia feel in the older woman's presence?
2. Why does Talia decide not to share with others about what is making her unhappy?
3. To what does Talia revert?
4. What incidences increase?
5. Where does Talia find feed for the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a young girl do when she enters Talia's room and how does the woman who comes in respond to Talia's behavior?
2. Why does Elcarth have to leave Talia's tour?
3. What do some of the female students talk to Talia about in the bath area and what does Talia hope as she falls asleep?
4. Who are Blues and what do most of the Heralds think of them?
5. Where are Talia and the Companion traveling when she leaves her father's holding?
6. What are the first two tasks Talia does when she and the Companion stop at their first rest?
7. What continues unabated and what does Talia do?
8. What are Heralds and Companions?
9. What is Teren's expectation about Talia's response to the note and is he correct?
10. What class does Talia go to after weapons training and what is some of the information she gets there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrows of the Queen is one book in a series of novels involving Heralds and Companions. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters and/or setting? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters and/or setting? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains a different world. In the case of Arrows of the Queen, much of the setting would be familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of Talia's world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in Talia's world. Define the words as used in in Talia's world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Arrows of the Queen. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that inArrows of the Queen? What word(s)?
3. Were there any words you never really understood in Arrows of the Queen? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Mercedes lackey is one of the most prolific writers of Fantasy in our time. It is useful to know about her not just because she authored Arrows of the Queen, but because her authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Lackey and write a brief biography of her.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about Lackey?
3. What do you think is Lackey's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write the number of books Lackey has written (the number of which you should ascertain in your research), how would you respond?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)