|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mystifies Talia's instructors?
2. What is the next female guard like?
3. What is Talia told as she gazes into the eyes?
4. What shames Talia about how she is treated by other students?
5. What are the only things Talia can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns Alberich about Talia and how does Talia feel about her first lesson with him?
2. What continues unabated and what does Talia do?
3. What does the man in blue tell Talia she has to do when they talk to him at a small village?
4. What does Sherrill take Talia to get?
5. Who is the woman who came into Talia's room and what does Talia find out from her?
6. What happens when Talia comes upon a herald and what does she fear? What does he tell her?
7. What is Talia's social life like in her holding?
8. Why do most of the students go home, and why doesn't Talia do the same?
9. What is Elcarth's position in the palace, what does he notice about Talia's personality and her knowledge?
10. What does Talia learn about the Companions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Talia is harassed by a group of students called "Blues," who, for the most part are children of nobles in the Kingdom of Valdemar. Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief summary of who is harassing Talia, why, and the ways they are harassing her. Be sure to cite specific examples to demonstrate your exposition.
2. Do you think the "noble" born should be entitled to a privileged life by virtue of their birth? Why or why not?
3. Should nobility be awarded based upon one's achievements and character rather than birth? How would that system work?
4. Do you think the countries that still have an existent system of nobility will eventually discard it? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout Arrows of the Queen. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout Arrows of the Queen. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does a Herald's gift give an automatic advantage to someone over another who has no gifts? Is there abuse of this ability? Do you think the fact that Heralds are gifted creates resentment among the non-gifted populace?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughoutArrows of the Queen. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in Arrows of the Queen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss five literary devices that occur in Arrows of the Queen and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
2. What do you think are the reasons students are encouraged to understand literary devices? Do you think an understanding of the structure of a work of fiction enhances the reading experience? Why or why not?
3. Do you think authors make a conscious effort to include literary devices into their writing? Discuss your answer. Do you think it would be difficult to consciously create metaphor, simile, puns, etc...? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)