|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Talia sleep on the first night on the road?
(a) On the ground in open air.
(b) In a small shed.
(c) Snuggled up next to the horse.
(d) In a cave.
2. How does Talia clean her clothes at the river?
(a) Boiling them over the fire in a pot.
(b) Scrubbing them on tree bark.
(c) Dipping them in the water.
3. What shames Talia about how she is treated by other students?
(a) That she does not understand all the references they make.
(b) That they say things in front of students who had liked her.
(c) That what they are saying might be true.
(d) That they do not say cruel things to other students.
4. Why does Talia decide not to share with others about what is making her unhappy?
(a) She is embarrassed that her father is so proud of her.
(b) She is embarrassed that her father disowned her.
(c) She does not want to earn the reputation of being a complainer.
(d) She thinks it will make the other kids envy her.
5. What shocks Talia about what the wives tell her?
(a) That she is to leave the community and travel to the queen's city.
(b) That she is to take over as head ostler.
(c) That she is to enter the priestess vocation.
(d) That she is to choose a husband.
6. What concerns Elcarth about Talia?
(a) Her fear of horses.
(b) Her fear of men.
(c) Her lack of propriety.
(d) Her lack of mathematical abilities.
7. What book is Talia reading at the opening of Chapter 1?
(a) She cannot read.
(b) A book about heralds and companions.
(c) A book about an enchanted princess.
(d) A book about knights.
8. Where does Talia go for Midwinter festival?
(a) Home to her Holding.
(b) Home with one of the student Healers.
(d) Home with one of the other female Herald students.
9. What surprises Talia at the one of the shelters?
(a) That Rolan knows so much about her already.
(b) That there are two young boys on white horses.
(c) That Rolan seems to know the male guard at the next shelter.
(d) Finding a female guard.
10. Where does Talia land when she falls?
(a) At the feet of a white horse.
(b) In a garbage heap.
(c) In a crevice.
(d) In a stream.
11. Who is Kris?
(a) A Herald assigned to train Talia in sword fighting.
(b) A handsome Herald man Talia meets in the library.
(c) A handsome Herald man Talia meets in the training arena.
(d) A companion who is close to Rolan.
12. What does Talia decide not to share with anyone?
(a) That she was engaged to be married.
(b) What her father wrote in his note.
(c) That she is being harrassed.
(d) That she has to go home.
13. How do most people view the Heralds?
(a) With respect and honor.
(b) With contempt.
(c) With disrespect..
(d) With jealousy.
14. What amazes Talia about the horse she encounters?
(a) It is solid black.
(b) It seems to read her mind.
(c) It knows where it's going.
(d) It kneels down for her to mount.
15. Who pushes Talia around and is verbally abusive?
(a) Two boys who were asked to test her mettle.
(b) Some unaffiliated students.
(c) Her weapons instructor.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the white horse going when he veers off the road?
2. What is a Holding?
3. What seems to make Talia's journey easier?
4. What are the Blues?
5. What will be one of Talia's jobs as the Queen's Own?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)