|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many potential Heralds were chosen this Spring?
2. Why does Kris order Talia to stay on the hill outside a seemingly deserted village?
3. What happens when Kris tries to comfort Talia?
4. Who is the courier who arrives?
5. Where does Kris go every chance he gets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Kris and Talia learn about the Companions that starts Talia into training to control her gift?
2. Describe the conversation between Kris and Talia about Lord Orthallen.
3. Why does Talia ask Kris to go someplace and what is Tantris' interpretation of the forest's reaction to Talia?
4. What does Kris ask of Talia now that her internship is half over?
5. What turns out to be the reason that Talia can not sense any people in the village near the Border and what do the two Heralds do?
6. What is a struggle for Kris as far as his interaction with Talia?
7. How is Kris protective of Dirk and how does Kris' relationship with Talia cause Kris anxiety because of his friendship with Dirk?
8. What two concepts does Talia begin to learn in order to control her gift?
9. What is the situation with an older, rich couple and their sewing maid?
10. How does Kris' attempts to comfort Talia go further than either intends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When one reads any novel (or anything at all), one brings everything from one's own past and present to the novel and in how one responds to what s/he is reading. Discuss the following:
1. How influential do you think a reader's own emotions, education, ideas and experiences influence how the reader responds to a work of fiction?
2. What about your life do you think influences you in reading Arrow's Flight? How does it influence you?
3. Do you think there is only one interpretation for any book? Discuss fully your response.
4. Do you think fiction can precipitate change in a reader? Is the change usually temporary or long lasting? Discuss your response thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. What do you think is the purpose of irony? Discuss the irony of the situation that Talia is involved sexually with Kris, when it's his best friend, Dirk, that Talia really feels attracted to? What other irony occurs in Arrow's Flight? Discuss two or three incidences of irony and whether they enhance your reading experience.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Arrow's Flight.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Arrow's Flight.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Kris. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? How do they compare as to the way they are raised before being chosen? Do you think they will both become good Heralds? Why or why not.Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Rolan. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character? How do the fact that they are different species influence your response to them?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Arrow's Flight help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)