|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awaits Talia the next morning?
2. Why are Kris and Talia commanded to leave the village that is full of ill people?
3. In what town are Kris and Talia staying?
4. What message does Talia receive that distracts her?
5. What happens when Kris tries to comfort Talia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with an older, rich couple and their sewing maid?
2. How have Talia's feelings towards Kris evolved?
3. Describe the conversation between Kris and Talia about Lord Orthallen.
4. What is a struggle for Kris as far as his interaction with Talia?
5. Describe the confrontation between Kris and Talia as they finally reach the road after clearing a path from the Waystation.
6. What news does Skif bring from the city?
7. What two concepts does Talia begin to learn in order to control her gift?
8. What turns out to be the reason that Talia can not sense any people in the village near the Border and what do the two Heralds do?
9. What does Kris tell Talia about Dirk?
10. Why does Talia want to weep as she is around the people of Berrbay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrow's Flight could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Talia, the main character. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze Arrow's Flight as a bildungsroman of Talia. Give specific examples. What does Talia learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Do you think young people in our modern culture go through a coming of age period? Do you think the concept of "coming of age" is inherent in the human experience? Why or why not.
4. Do you think you have lived through a "coming of age" period in your own life? Discuss as thoroughly as you willing to share.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Arrow's Flight based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Arrow's Flight is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Arrow's Flight is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? What about the fact that it is a fantasy novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Arrow's Flight.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Arrow's Flight. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Arrow's Flight. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)