|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors are spreading around Valdemar?
2. What does one tree do in the windstorm?
3. How many potential Heralds were chosen this Spring?
4. What do Rolan and Tantris agree to do?
5. What is wrong with the villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Talia want to weep as she is around the people of Berrbay?
2. How have Talia's feelings towards Kris evolved?
3. What happens while Kris and Talia are dreaming in the Waystation?
4. How do Talia and Kris work through their relationship?
5. Why do Kris and Talia increase their pace when they are approaching a tiny hamlet near the Border?
6. What is a struggle for Kris as far as his interaction with Talia?
7. What causes an emotional outburst once Kris and Talia are settled into the Waystation?
8. What happens just as Kris and Talia reach the next Waystation after leaving the village full of people with snow fever?
9. How is Kris protective of Dirk and how does Kris' relationship with Talia cause Kris anxiety because of his friendship with Dirk?
10. What is the situation with an older, rich couple and their sewing maid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The social mores of Valdemar have some similarities to that of the general culture of the United States and some differences. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term mores and give examples of it from your own life.
2. Write a comparison/contrast essay of the cultural mores of Valdemar compared to those of your own culture.
3. Do you think it is harmful for young people to read novels that contain contrasting or contradictory ideas from those in which the young people are raised? Discuss thoroughly.
4. Many books over the years have been banned (and consequently unbanned) in the United States because of their controversial ideas or behaviors of the characters. Do you think a book such as Arrow's Flight, with it's more liberal sexual mores, would have been banned had it been published in the 1950's? Discuss thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Kris. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? How do they compare as to the way they are raised before being chosen? Do you think they will both become good Heralds? Why or why not.Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Talia and Rolan. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character? How do the fact that they are different species influence your response to them?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Arrow's Flight help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Arrow's Flight.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Arrow's Flight. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Arrow's Flight. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)