|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions do Kris and Talia answer at the village where they sleep for the first night?
2. About what does Lord Orthallen seem displeased?
3. Where does Dirk say many of the Heralds are going when they slip out of the palace during the festivities?
4. What is the Hand of Fate?
5. Who chooses a new Queen's Own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Talia and Kris being sent to the Northern border?
2. Who is escorting Talia to the investiture and why is Talia happy about that?
3. What is the worse mistake that the Queen's Own, Talamir, makes?
4. How does Talia's gift cause a little tension between Talia and Kris?
5. Why is Talia not prepared to perform as a Herald, but what in her background helps her deal with Elspeth?
6. Why does Alberich have Talia continue to train with Elspeth?
7. Describe the teasing Talia receives about her possible romantic involvements.
8. What is unique about a horse-like animal in Valdemar?
9. What does the reader learn about Talia's life as a child and what Queen Selenay does after hearing the same information?
10. How does Talia feel as they approach the first village and why does she feel that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrow's Flight belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
Essay Topic 2
Talia is raised in a very strict group of people, who have rigid roles for men and women. Discuss the following:
1. From what you read in the Prologue, and what Talia reveals throughout the book, compare and contrast the differences between Talia's life as a child to the age of 13 and her life now.
2. In what ways do you think Talia's upbringing still influences her choices and responses in her life at this time? Be specific with examples.
3. Compare/contrast the roles of women and men from Talia's childhood to the life she leads now.
4. Which society is closest to how you were raised and/or are living? Discuss thoroughly.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Arrow's Flight, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)