|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Sherrill and Keren tease Talia?
2. What does Talia see when she wakes and looks out the window?
3. With whom is Selenay working when Talia arrives at the palace?
4. What are Companions?
5. Whose friendship with Talia never turns romantic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Talia not prepared to perform as a Herald, but what in her background helps her deal with Elspeth?
2. What occurs at the tack shed after the investiture?
3. How does Kris explain his relationship with Dirk and what he hopes Dirk will find?
4. What ceremony do the villagers want the Heralds to witness and how does it proceed?
5. What does Talia see when she wakes in the middle of the night?
6. What starts Kris and Talia's journey off a little roughly?
7. What is unique about a horse-like animal in Valdemar?
8. What does the reader learn about Talia's life as a child and what Queen Selenay does after hearing the same information?
9. What happens to humans during the Sorcerous Wars?
10. Why does Talia decide to take an apartment at the top of the tower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Arrow's Flight, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Arrow's Flight based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Arrow's Flight is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Arrow's Flight is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? What about the fact that it is a fantasy novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Arrow's Flight is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)