|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Elspeth depressed?
(a) Not yet being chosen.
(b) Her ineptness with the sword.
(c) Her mother's constant criticism.
(d) Her lack of accuracy with a bow.
2. What is one reason Talia is nervous when the approach the first village?
(a) She is afraid of potential violence.
(b) Her shields are unusally thin.
(c) She know the people in this village.
(d) She thinks Kris believes her to be incompetent as a Herald.
3. Why are the villages concerned that the Heralds will refuse their request?
(a) Because the father of the bride objects to the marriage.
(b) Because the bride is from another country.
(c) Because the bride is pregnant.
(d) Because the groom is from another country.
4. What protects the Northern Border from trouble?
(a) The Forest of Sorrows.
(b) A series of forts.
(c) A sheer cliff that runs for miles along the border.
(d) A wide, trecherous river.
5. What does Kyril think will work to Talia's advantage?
(a) Talia's size.
(b) Talia's reputation.
(c) Talia's connections with the Queen.
(d) Talia's empathic abilities.
6. What does Selenay do to ensure holder children are allowed to leave the Hold?
(a) Nothing; it is out of her jurisdiction.
(b) Makes a decree.
(c) Sends Heralds who are empaths to sense unhappy children.
(d) Has Heralds interview all children in Holds when they are about 10.
7. What does Kris desire to be in the future?
(a) An ambassador.
(b) A healer.
(c) The Queen's Own.
(d) Dean of the collegium.
8. Why does Talia awaken uneasy and ill-rested the second morning after being at the village?
(a) She had uneasy dreams.
(b) One of the villages gives Talia a messasge from Talia's father.
(c) She is ill during the night.
(d) She spies someone she knows in the village crowd.
9. What happens to Elspeth?
(a) She is chosen by Gwena.
(b) She gets in a fight with Skif.
(c) She is attacked by a man in a mask.
(d) She is chosen by Sedarth.
10. How is Elspeth feeling these days?
11. Where does Talia find Kris?
(a) Conferring with Selenay.
(b) Packing his bags in his room.
(c) In the tack shed with Dirk.
(d) Helping Kyril pack his bags.
12. About what does Talia chide Kris?
(a) For thinking of her as a woman rather than a Herald.
(b) For cleaning her tack instead of letting her do it.
(c) For taking so much time to bathe.
(d) For putting his bedroll outside to give her privacy.
13. What meanings does Kyril explain to Talia?
(a) The colors and patterns of the Arrow-Code.
(b) The meanings of the hand signals she will use with Rolan.
(c) The colors and patterns of the Pigeon-Code.
(d) The meanings of the different bows to nobles.
14. What does Lord Orthallan want Kris to do?
(a) Find out if Talia is a traitor.
(b) Create an accident in which Talia is killed.
(c) Lay to rest the doubts about Talia and her gifts.
(d) Not give Talia enough information to do her job properly, thus making her look incompetent.
15. About what do Sherrill and Keren tease Talia?
(a) Rolan have a mud bath that Talia has to curry out.
(b) Being in competition with her little sister for the men's attentions.
(c) Rolan receiving a new saddle in honor of Talia's promotion.
(d) Having Kris as her internship supervisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one rumor about Talia and Elspeth?
2. With whom is Selenay working when Talia arrives at the palace?
3. At what age do females in the Holderkin take a vow of chastity or marry?
4. What does Dirk have trouble sorting out?
5. What do Kris and Talia need to be careful to do?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)