|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Talia awaken uneasy and ill-rested the second morning after being at the village?
(a) She spies someone she knows in the village crowd.
(b) She is ill during the night.
(c) She had uneasy dreams.
(d) One of the villages gives Talia a messasge from Talia's father.
2. What does Kyril make Talia practice for several hours?
(a) The patterns of what he just taught her.
(b) Getting on and off Rolan without using her hands.
(c) Bowing the proper degrees for various nobles.
(d) Packing her bags and saddling Rolan, all in under two minutes.
3. What are Companions?
(a) Specially trained dogs that bond with humans.
(b) A variety of animal species that bond with humans.
(c) Horse-like creatures.
(d) Specially trained wolves that bond with humans.
4. How does Queen Selenay end up in a bad marriage?
(a) The marriage was wonderful; it was just too short.
(b) Because the oracle was tainted that send her word of who she should marry.
(c) By running away and eloping with a disreputable noble.
(d) By heeding the advice of the Queen's own.
5. How does Elspeth spar?
(a) With vigor.
6. What does Talia have Elspeth do?
(a) Ride Sedarth right away.
(b) Apologize to Skif.
(c) Defend herself against the masked man.
(d) Settle in the grove while Talia goes to talk with Queen Selenay.
7. Why does Talia choose an apartment at the top of the tower?
(a) Because of her gift of empathy.
(b) So she can receive the courier pigeons.
(c) To have a view of the river valley.
(d) To get more exercise going to and from her place.
8. What does Kris desire to be in the future?
(a) A healer.
(b) Dean of the collegium.
(c) The Queen's Own.
(d) An ambassador.
9. About what does Kris ask Talia?
(a) Her gift.
(b) Whether she loves Dirk.
(c) When she is Chosen.
(d) About what she wants in her life.
10. What does Selenay do to ensure holder children are allowed to leave the Hold?
(a) Makes a decree.
(b) Sends Heralds who are empaths to sense unhappy children.
(c) Has Heralds interview all children in Holds when they are about 10.
(d) Nothing; it is out of her jurisdiction.
11. What happens after the formal investiture is complete?
(a) The bells in the city ring.
(b) Their is a magical show.
(c) The nobles hand out presents to the commoners.
(d) The bards start playing dance music.
12. Who is the note from that is on Talia's door?
13. What does Talamir decide to do with Elspeth?
(a) Take her to a remote area and teach her for a couple years.
(b) Declare her unfit to rule Valdemar.
(c) Send her to a remote fosterage.
(d) Poison her.
14. What do Kris and Talia perform as an entrance fee?
(a) A redition of Sun and Shadow.
(b) A riding contest.
(c) A sword duel.
(d) An archery contest.
15. What is the Hand of Fate?
(a) When someone is "touched" by the oracle.
(b) The way the future is cast by use of hand shaped die.
(c) The way a Herald is chosen.
(d) Shooting two arrows in the air to determine a boundary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't Talia been out of the city much?
2. What is Talia's reputation among the other Heralds?
3. What wars occurred long ago in Velgarth?
4. Who knocks on Kris' door in the late evening?
5. Why are the Council meetings upsetting to Talia?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)