|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Reuben Foster tell Principal Moore to share the School Board's decision with?
2. Which Charles Dickens novel had Moore requested Karen remove from the library?
3. What does Barney compare the banning of "Huckleberry Finn" to?
4. What advice does Karen give Barney on his article?
5. What does the committee decide of Huckleberry Finn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the points made by Kent Dickensen and Matthew Griswold in Chapter 7 and Chapter 8. What are their stances on censorship and freedom of thought? Who do you believe won the debate?
Essay Topic 2
Censorship is the main theme of the novel. George Mason High School is at the center of a censorship debate between those who find the novel "Huckleberry Finn" offensive, and those who wish to protect the First Amendment and the freedom of the press.
A) Outline the numerous opinions on the subject of censorship in the novel and the motivations behind them.
B) Discuss your own thoughts on censorship in schools, and whether your opinions were formed or altered after reading this novel.
Essay Topic 3
During a disagreement with Principal Moore about the censoring of novels such as "Huckleberry Finn", Nora reminds Moore of the First Amendment and the Freedom of the Press. Discuss the ideals surrounding the First Amendment and explain how it correlates with the novel "The Day They Came to Arrest the Book".
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)