|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization has also filed a complaint against the book?
2. What does Moore commend Barney on?
3. A teacher at the school has filed a complaint against the book for what reason?
4. What advice does Karen give Barney on his article?
5. What reason does Stanley Lomax suggest as the only one Kate could have for trusting him?
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel is censorship, and in this particular case, the novel "Huckleberry Finn" is the novel being questioned. Discuss the role of "Huckleberry Finn" in the story and the issues that arise because of it.
Essay Topic 2
During a disagreement with Principal Moore about the censoring of novels such as "Huckleberry Finn", Nora reminds Moore of the First Amendment and the Freedom of the Press. Discuss the ideals surrounding the First Amendment and explain how it correlates with the novel "The Day They Came to Arrest the Book".
Essay Topic 3
Censorship is the main theme of the novel. George Mason High School is at the center of a censorship debate between those who find the novel "Huckleberry Finn" offensive, and those who wish to protect the First Amendment and the freedom of the press.
A) Outline the numerous opinions on the subject of censorship in the novel and the motivations behind them.
B) Discuss your own thoughts on censorship in schools, and whether your opinions were formed or altered after reading this novel.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)