|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Principal Moore talk to in his office?
2. What happens to the immoral characters in Dickens' story?
3. How does Principal Moore say the school will look if the article is published?
4. What book does Kate cite as not possibly offensive to anyone?
5. What does Barney ask Principal Moore about the interview to determine whether it is fit to be published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
2. What reasons were given for the decision to ban "Huckleberry Finn" at the school?
3. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
4. Outline Deirdre's arguments in her refusal to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
5. Outline Principal Moore's arguments in trying to get Deirdre to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
6. Outline the story Stanley Lomax told about the governor of Georgia and explain its significance.
7. What results from Barney's article being published?
8. For what reason does Deirdre suggest Pride and Prejudice might be offensive?
9. Outline Steve Turney's speech in support of "Huckleberry Finn".
10. What repercussions does Maggie Crowley suggest could result from Barney publishing his article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During a conversation, Luke and Barney admit to being aware of censorship in previous years, but did not care a great deal, or did not do much to stop it from happening. Discuss whether it is human nature to ignore the things that don't affect you directly. Discuss if this is true with the characters in the novel, and whether there are characters to which this theory does not apply.
Essay Topic 2
Racism is one of the main themes of the novel. Discuss the dangers of racism, whether real or perceived.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses symbolism to convey some of the core themes of the novel. Write an essay explaining the meaning behind the author's use of symbolism.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)