|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Barney arranged to meet Karen Salters for?
2. Where is the school board meeting held?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, some students object to staying in what sort of class?
4. What does Principal Moore talk to in his office?
5. What has Deirdre heard some people described as worse than books that degrade minorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Karen now decided to take part in Barney's interview and what repercussions does she face by doing so?
2. How does Maggie Crowley threaten Principal Moore as he attempts to block Barney's article from being published?
3. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
4. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
5. Who is Steve Turney and why does he stay in Nora's class when other students walk out?
6. Deirdre and Kate both state that freedom can be dangerous. Explain their individual points of view.
7. Outline Deirdre's arguments in her refusal to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
8. What would Matthew Griswold like to see happen to "Huckleberry Finn", and does he consider his preference censorship?
9. What reasons were given for the decision to ban "Huckleberry Finn" at the school?
10. As they await the release of the names of the review committee members, what do Barney and Luke discuss in reference to the previous year's censorship issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Principal Moore acts as the antagonist of the novel. Using evidence from the story, explain your whether you believe this to be true or not.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses symbolism to convey some of the core themes of the novel. Write an essay explaining the meaning behind the author's use of symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, Stanley Komax raises the question of who has the right to make decisions for others. Write an opinion essay with references to the topics explored in the novel.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)