|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of the board's vote?
2. What does Moore commend Barney on?
3. What does Steve Turney believe about many of the individuals who have complained about Huckleberry Finn?
4. What did the Governor of Georgia do in the story Lomax told?
5. What does Kate believe educational institutions should guide students on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What further complaints have been made against "Huckleberry Finn" and by whom have they been made?
2. What is Reuben Foster doing in his office at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Outline the story Stanley Lomax told about the governor of Georgia and explain its significance.
4. What reasons were given for the decision to ban "Huckleberry Finn" at the school?
5. How does Maggie Crowley threaten Principal Moore as he attempts to block Barney's article from being published?
6. What analogy does Reuben Foster use for the banning of books?
7. Outline Steve Turney's speech in support of "Huckleberry Finn".
8. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
9. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
10. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During a conversation, Luke and Barney admit to being aware of censorship in previous years, but did not care a great deal, or did not do much to stop it from happening. Discuss whether it is human nature to ignore the things that don't affect you directly. Discuss if this is true with the characters in the novel, and whether there are characters to which this theory does not apply.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses exposition to communicate information that occurred before the start of the novel. Discuss the use of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Principal Moore acts as the antagonist of the novel. Using evidence from the story, explain your whether you believe this to be true or not.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)