Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
2. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
3. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
4. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
5. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora describe words such as 'clergyperson' and 'policeperson'?
2. Why does Luke's comment that Huck should be taken out and shot enrage Carl McLean?
3. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
4. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
5. What further complaints have been made against "Huckleberry Finn" and by whom have they been made?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
7. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
8. How does Maggie Crowley threaten Principal Moore as he attempts to block Barney's article from being published?
9. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
10. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses symbolism to convey some of the core themes of the novel. Write an essay explaining the meaning behind the author's use of symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing to hint at events later on in the novel. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "The Day They Came to Arrest the Book".
Essay Topic 3
The main characters of the novel often had contrasting views of the censorship issue. Outline and compare the views of three of the main characters, and determine whether these views affected their relationship with one another.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)