|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
2. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
3. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
4. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
5. What is Gordon's opinion of Nora after reading Huckleberry Finn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
2. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
3. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
4. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
5. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
6. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
7. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
8. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
9. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
10. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As high school students are usually too young to have formed opinions on many fundamental issues, it is of no surprise that they often succumb to peer pressure. Discuss the role that peer pressure plays on the development of the students' opinions.
Essay Topic 2
This novel depicts the struggles one faces when choosing to stand up for what one believes in. Discuss who and how the characters stand up for what they believe in, as well as the results of said actions.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, Stanley Komax raises the question of who has the right to make decisions for others. Write an opinion essay with references to the topics explored in the novel.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)