|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barney say about his parents?
2. Who bounces a book off of Kate's head?
3. What is Gordon's opinion of Nora after reading Huckleberry Finn?
4. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
5. As Nora passes Gordon in the hall, what does he proclaim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
2. How does Nora describe words such as 'clergyperson' and 'policeperson'?
3. What example does Matthew Griswold use to demonstrate that freedom has become less individualized?
4. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
5. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
6. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
7. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
8. What relevance do the portraits on Principal Moore's wall have in this chapter?
9. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
10. What is Barney doing at the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses symbolism to convey some of the core themes of the novel. Write an essay explaining the meaning behind the author's use of symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses exposition to communicate information that occurred before the start of the novel. Discuss the use of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The debate in Chapter 7 and 8 is a tool to teach the students to form their own opinions. Do you believe that the debate, as well as the censorship controversy, helped the students form their own opinions? Provide evidence from the story to back up your argument.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)