|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
2. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
3. What does Luke think of Gordon's reaction to Huckleberry Finn?
4. What point does Griswold make about the Supreme Court upholding the separation of Church and state?
5. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
3. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
4. What happens when Principal Moore encourages Nora to think of herself as a black person?
5. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
6. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
7. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
8. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
9. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
10. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During a disagreement with Principal Moore about the censoring of novels such as "Huckleberry Finn", Nora reminds Moore of the First Amendment and the Freedom of the Press. Discuss the ideals surrounding the First Amendment and explain how it correlates with the novel "The Day They Came to Arrest the Book".
Essay Topic 2
Nora is a main character of the novel who has a number of opinions on the novel's major themes. Write a character study of Nora and discuss how this character influenced the events of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The censorship issue at George Mason High School caused a divide amongst its students, parents and teachers. Examine how the "Huckleberry Finn" issue affected the existing friendships of Barney, Gordon, Kate and Luke.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)