|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
2. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
3. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
4. What is Matthew Griswold's concern about freedom?
5. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does Matthew Griswold use to demonstrate that freedom has become less individualized?
2. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
3. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
4. How does Nora describe words such as 'clergyperson' and 'policeperson'?
5. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
6. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
7. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
9. What is Barney doing at the library?
10. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The censorship issue at George Mason High School caused a divide amongst its students, parents and teachers. Examine how the "Huckleberry Finn" issue affected the existing friendships of Barney, Gordon, Kate and Luke.
Essay Topic 2
During a conversation, Luke and Barney admit to being aware of censorship in previous years, but did not care a great deal, or did not do much to stop it from happening. Discuss whether it is human nature to ignore the things that don't affect you directly. Discuss if this is true with the characters in the novel, and whether there are characters to which this theory does not apply.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the points made by Kent Dickensen and Matthew Griswold in Chapter 7 and Chapter 8. What are their stances on censorship and freedom of thought? Who do you believe won the debate?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)