|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Carl McLean?
2. What is Matthew Griswold's concern about freedom?
3. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
4. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
5. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
2. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
3. What is Barney doing at the library?
4. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
5. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
6. How does Nora describe words such as 'clergyperson' and 'policeperson'?
7. What happens when Principal Moore encourages Nora to think of herself as a black person?
8. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
9. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
10. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of different literary works are mentioned in the novel. What do these novels have in common? After reading the novel, what do you believe the author's view on freedom of the press is?
Essay Topic 2
During a disagreement with Principal Moore about the censoring of novels such as "Huckleberry Finn", Nora reminds Moore of the First Amendment and the Freedom of the Press. Discuss the ideals surrounding the First Amendment and explain how it correlates with the novel "The Day They Came to Arrest the Book".
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the points made by Kent Dickensen and Matthew Griswold in Chapter 7 and Chapter 8. What are their stances on censorship and freedom of thought? Who do you believe won the debate?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)