|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
2. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
3. What point does Griswold make about the Supreme Court upholding the separation of Church and state?
4. How does Barney say Kate gets her fun?
5. What does Nora Bates make her class do in addition to studying their textbooks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relevance do the portraits on Principal Moore's wall have in this chapter?
2. What hypocrisy does Nora Baines show in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
4. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
5. What is Reuben Foster doing in his office at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Why has Karen now decided to take part in Barney's interview and what repercussions does she face by doing so?
7. What happens when Principal Moore encourages Nora to think of herself as a black person?
8. Describe Nora Baines.
9. For what reason does Deirdre suggest Pride and Prejudice might be offensive?
10. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
Essay Topic 1
The main characters of the novel often had contrasting views of the censorship issue. Outline and compare the views of three of the main characters, and determine whether these views affected their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 2
The central theme of the novel is censorship, and in this particular case, the novel "Huckleberry Finn" is the novel being questioned. Discuss the role of "Huckleberry Finn" in the story and the issues that arise because of it.
Essay Topic 3
Racism is one of the main themes of the novel. Discuss the dangers of racism, whether real or perceived.
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)