|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
2. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
3. How does Maggie hope to get her students to learn to think for themselves?
4. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
5. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
2. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
3. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
4. Outline the story Stanley Lomax told about the governor of Georgia and explain its significance.
5. What is Carl McLean's official complaint against "Huckleberry Finn"?
6. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
7. What hypocrisy does Nora Baines show in Chapter 15?
8. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
9. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
10. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
Essay Topic 1
The main characters of the novel often had contrasting views of the censorship issue. Outline and compare the views of three of the main characters, and determine whether these views affected their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Racism is one of the main themes of the novel. Discuss the dangers of racism, whether real or perceived.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses symbolism to convey some of the core themes of the novel. Write an essay explaining the meaning behind the author's use of symbolism.
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)