|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
2. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
3. What does Barney ask Kate to make her call him crude before walking away?
4. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
5. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
2. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
3. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
4. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
5. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
6. What happens when Principal Moore encourages Nora to think of herself as a black person?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
8. What do Barney, Kate and Luke each think about Gordon's offense to Huckleberry Finn?
9. Describe Nora Baines.
10. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses exposition to communicate information that occurred before the start of the novel. Discuss the use of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, Stanley Komax raises the question of who has the right to make decisions for others. Write an opinion essay with references to the topics explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The main characters of the novel often had contrasting views of the censorship issue. Outline and compare the views of three of the main characters, and determine whether these views affected their relationship with one another.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)