|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Dennis claim Jim and Huck's nudity in the novel suggests?
(a) A sense of freedom.
(b) The author was a social deviant.
(c) Innocence and purity.
2. What book does Kate cite as not possibly offensive to anyone?
(a) Vanity Fair.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(d) Goodnight, Moon.
3. What does Barney state that no one should have the right to do?
(a) Scrutinize another person's book selections.
(b) Force a person to read a book.
(c) Criticize the words authors choose to use.
(d) Stop someone else from reading a specific book.
4. Which committee members voted to keep Huckleberry Finn 'free' in the school?
(a) Deirdre, Kent Dickenson, and Cindy Dennis.
(b) Deirdre and Nora.
(c) Deirdre, Stanley Lomax and Ben Maddox.
(d) Deirdre and Matthew Griswold.
5. What did Karen warn she might do which spurred Principal Moore to threaten to fire her?
(a) Report him for incompetence.
(b) Go to the media.
(c) Burn down the library.
(d) Return any 'removed' books to the shelves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karen suggest is the reason Principal Moore wanted the Dickens novel removed?
2. What happens to the immoral characters in Dickens' story?
3. What organization has also filed a complaint against the book?
4. What does Lomax say can happen when one group is given the power to censor?
5. Who recants their original vote to ban Huckleberry Finn in a newspaper editorial?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they await the release of the names of the review committee members, what do Barney and Luke discuss in reference to the previous year's censorship issues?
2. Why does Luke's comment that Huck should be taken out and shot enrage Carl McLean?
3. What hypocrisy does Nora Baines show in Chapter 15?
4. Why has Karen now decided to take part in Barney's interview and what repercussions does she face by doing so?
5. Outline Steve Turney's speech in support of "Huckleberry Finn".
6. What further complaints have been made against "Huckleberry Finn" and by whom have they been made?
7. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
8. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
9. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
10. What would Matthew Griswold like to see happen to "Huckleberry Finn", and does he consider his preference censorship?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)