|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moore ask Deirdre to do with the library's copies of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Bring them to his office.
(b) To put them under her desk.
(c) Mail them back to their publisher.
(d) Hide them in a closet.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, some students object to staying in what sort of class?
(a) An oppressive class.
(b) A racist class.
(c) A harmful class.
(d) An offensive class.
3. What has Barney arranged to meet Karen Salters for?
(a) Journalistic advice.
(b) An interview.
(c) To introduce her to Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(d) To return a book.
4. What do Barney, Luke, Gordon and Kate do during lunchtime?
(a) Try to get students to attend the review meeting.
(b) Have some pizza.
(c) Try to find more potentially controversial books in the library.
(d) Debate the freedom of the press.
5. What does Steve Turney believe about many of the individuals who have complained about Huckleberry Finn?
(a) That they are overreacting.
(b) That they have not read the book.
(c) That they are villainizing Mark Twain.
(d) That they have carefully studied the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends Matthew Griswold about "Huckleberry Finn"?
2. What does Deirdre remind Moore he should be respectful of?
3. What area is it decided copies of "Huckleberry Finn" should be moved to?
4. Where is the review hearing being held?
5. Where is the school board meeting held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carl McLean's official complaint against "Huckleberry Finn"?
2. Why does Luke's comment that Huck should be taken out and shot enrage Carl McLean?
3. Outline Deirdre's arguments in her refusal to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
4. Outline Steve Turney's speech in support of "Huckleberry Finn".
5. What would Matthew Griswold like to see happen to "Huckleberry Finn", and does he consider his preference censorship?
6. Why has Karen now decided to take part in Barney's interview and what repercussions does she face by doing so?
7. For what reason does Deirdre suggest Pride and Prejudice might be offensive?
8. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
9. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
10. What rights does Ken Dickenson say he is defending when he speaks on behalf of "Huckleberry Finn"?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)