|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barney state that no one should have the right to do?
(a) Criticize the words authors choose to use.
(b) Scrutinize another person's book selections.
(c) Stop someone else from reading a specific book.
(d) Force a person to read a book.
2. What right(s) does Kate feel are being infringed on by having to read "Huckleberry Finn"?
(a) The right to freedom of choice.
(b) The right to freedom of education.
(c) The right to speak freely and demonstrate.
(d) The right to be free from racism and sexism.
3. Which of the following is not a member of the review committee?
(a) Cynthia Morgan
(b) Frank Sylvester
(c) Ben Maddox
(d) Helen Cook
4. Which TV program interviews Barney?
(b) "60 Minutes".
(c) "The Oprah Winfrey Show".
(d) "Good Morning, America".
5. Why does Nora assume Lomax might vote against "Huckleberry Finn"?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He is religious.
(c) He is black.
(d) He is uneducated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steve's belief about Twain's use of the word 'nigger'?
2. After local press publicizes the issues at the school, who begins to show interest in the story?
3. What makes Kate question her original beliefs?
4. Which Charles Dickens novel had Moore requested Karen remove from the library?
5. What did the Governor of Georgia do in the story Lomax told?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
2. Why do Barney's parents get so angry after Barney remarks on television that he is unsure whether they would allow him to read the Bible now that it is under scrutiny?
3. As they await the release of the names of the review committee members, what do Barney and Luke discuss in reference to the previous year's censorship issues?
4. What hypocrisy does Nora Baines show in Chapter 15?
5. What further complaints have been made against "Huckleberry Finn" and by whom have they been made?
6. Outline Steve Turney's speech in support of "Huckleberry Finn".
7. Describe the setting of the school board meeting.
8. What does Barney write about Principal Moore in his newspaper article?
9. What is Carl McLean's official complaint against "Huckleberry Finn"?
10. For what reason does Deirdre suggest Pride and Prejudice might be offensive?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)