|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Principal Moore say the school will look if the article is published?
(a) Out of control.
2. Which TV program interviews Barney?
(b) "The Oprah Winfrey Show".
(c) "Good Morning, America".
(d) "60 Minutes".
3. What is Steve's belief about Twain's use of the word 'nigger'?
(a) That Twain didn't know it was offensive.
(b) That Twain used it because it was a common word in the past.
(c) That Twain used the word to bring scorn to the characters who said it.
(d) That Twain was trying to insult black people.
4. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Holding a tutoring session.
(b) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(c) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(d) Researching book bannings in America.
5. What happens to the immoral characters in Dickens' story?
(a) They receive punishments befitting their behavior.
(b) They are shunned socially.
(c) They triumph in spite of their crimes.
(d) They experience enlightenment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barney state that no one should have the right to do?
2. What has Deirdre heard some people described as worse than books that degrade minorities?
3. What did the Governor of Georgia do in the story Lomax told?
4. What does Karen suggest is the reason Principal Moore wanted the Dickens novel removed?
5. What does Mr. Dennis claim Jim and Huck's nudity in the novel suggests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What repercussions does Maggie Crowley suggest could result from Barney publishing his article?
2. Why did Moore's request that Charles Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend" be removed from the library prove to be "the last straw" for Karen Salters, and how did she respond to Principal Moore?
3. What reasons were given for the decision to ban "Huckleberry Finn" at the school?
4. How does Maggie Crowley threaten Principal Moore as he attempts to block Barney's article from being published?
5. Outline the story Stanley Lomax told about the governor of Georgia and explain its significance.
6. What would Matthew Griswold like to see happen to "Huckleberry Finn", and does he consider his preference censorship?
7. Why does Luke's comment that Huck should be taken out and shot enrage Carl McLean?
8. What results from Barney's article being published?
9. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
10. Who is Steve Turney and why does he stay in Nora's class when other students walk out?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)