|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a member of the review committee?
(a) Helen Cook
(b) Ben Maddox
(c) Frank Sylvester
(d) Cynthia Morgan
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, some students object to staying in what sort of class?
(a) An offensive class.
(b) A harmful class.
(c) A racist class.
(d) An oppressive class.
3. What has Barney arranged to meet Karen Salters for?
(a) To return a book.
(b) An interview.
(c) To introduce her to Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(d) Journalistic advice.
4. Which Charles Dickens novel had Moore requested Karen remove from the library?
(a) "Our Mutual Friend".
(b) "Great Expectations".
(c) "David Copperfield".
(d) "A Tale of Two Cities".
5. What book does Kate cite as not possibly offensive to anyone?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Goodnight, Moon.
(c) Vanity Fair.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of the board's vote?
2. What does Mr. Dennis claim Jim and Huck's nudity in the novel suggests?
3. What right(s) does Kate feel are being infringed on by having to read "Huckleberry Finn"?
4. During her appearance on television, on which point did Deirdre state her agreement with Kate?
5. What makes Kate question her original beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogy does Reuben Foster use for the banning of books?
2. What decisions does Barney come to in regards to his article?
3. What results from Barney's article being published?
4. What reasons were given for the decision to ban "Huckleberry Finn" at the school?
5. Who is Steve Turney and why does he stay in Nora's class when other students walk out?
6. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
7. What does Karen Salters tell Barney about how censorship was carried out in the school library before her departure?
8. Outline the story Stanley Lomax told about the governor of Georgia and explain its significance.
9. What hypocrisy does Nora Baines show in Chapter 15?
10. Outline Principal Moore's arguments in trying to get Deirdre to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)