|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say is the only way to fight a lie?
(a) Not to let it infect people in the first place.
(b) By shouting the truth.
(c) By getting the media on your side.
(d) With legal action.
2. What does Nora Baines walk into the library carrying?
(a) A copy of Huckleberry Finn.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) The written complaint from Carl McLean.
(d) A stack of test papers.
3. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
(a) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(b) Maggie Crowley.
(c) Principal Moore
(d) Nora Baines.
4. What does Nora feel should never occur?
(a) Parents interfering in the classroom.
(b) Books being put on trial.
(c) Teachers going unchallenged.
(d) Students walking out of class.
5. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(b) Researching book bannings in America.
(c) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(d) Holding a tutoring session.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a member of the review committee?
2. What does Deirdre remind Moore he should be respectful of?
3. Who is Steve Turney?
4. What book containing rape, slavery and murder did Karen complain about to Moore?
5. What does Barney's father say often comes of those who avoid the issues when pressed for details?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline Principal Moore's arguments in trying to get Deirdre to remove "Huckleberry Finn" from the library shelves.
2. Why does Luke's comment that Huck should be taken out and shot enrage Carl McLean?
3. What would Matthew Griswold like to see happen to "Huckleberry Finn", and does he consider his preference censorship?
4. What analogy does Reuben Foster use for the banning of books?
5. Who is Steve Turney and why does he stay in Nora's class when other students walk out?
6. What are Nora's evaluations of the members of the review committee?
7. Describe the setting of the school board meeting.
8. What further complaints have been made against "Huckleberry Finn" and by whom have they been made?
9. What is Reuben Foster doing in his office at the beginning of Chapter 10?
10. Deirdre and Kate both state that freedom can be dangerous. Explain their individual points of view.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)