|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will represent The Citizen's League for the Preservation of American Values in the debate?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) Carl McLean.
(c) Matthew Griswold.
(d) Principal Moore.
2. Why does Griswold believe high school students should not be allowed to have free choice?
(a) Students are not able to think clearly.
(b) Students are not ready for such degrees of freedom.
(c) Students are too selfish.
(d) Students lack common sense.
3. Which of the following authors is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Kurt Vonnegut.
(d) Jane Austen.
4. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
(b) "Where is Freedom?"
(c) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(d) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
5. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
(a) You need knowledge of religious concepts to get into college.
(b) Parents don't have time to teach religion.
(c) Modern kids are lack morals.
(d) Schools are a place of learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
2. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
3. According to Nora Baines, what or who had been a victim of assaults in the previous school year?
4. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
5. What does Barney ask Kate to make her call him crude before walking away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
2. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
3. What is Barney doing at the library?
4. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
5. What happens when Principal Moore encourages Nora to think of herself as a black person?
6. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
7. Describe Nora Baines.
8. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
9. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
10. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)