|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
2. What does Barney ask Kate to make her call him crude before walking away?
(a) Barney suggests Kate doesn't know how to read.
(b) Barney suggests the book should be more sexist.
(c) Barney suggests Kate drop the class.
(d) Barney suggests the books be burned.
3. Which of the following books is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) Animal Farm.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) The Catcher in the Rye.
4. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
(a) Mrs. Salter had fallen ill.
(b) Mr. Moore didn't like Mrs. Salter.
(c) Mrs. Salter was offered a better position elsewhere.
(d) Mrs. Salter took early retirement.
5. Where do Deirdre and Nora discuss the truth behind what happened to Mrs. Salter?
(a) In the teachers' lounge.
(b) At a fast food joint.
(c) At a coffeeshop.
(d) In the school library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
2. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
3. As Nora passes Gordon in the hall, what does he proclaim?
4. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
5. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
2. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
3. What is Barney doing at the library?
4. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
5. Describe Nora Baines.
6. What example does Matthew Griswold use to demonstrate that freedom has become less individualized?
7. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
8. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
9. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
10. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)