|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Barney named after?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A comic strip character.
(d) A famous author.
2. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
3. In his meeting with Nora, what does Principal Moore say causes teacher burnout?
(a) Coaching too many sports.
(c) Planning too many activities.
4. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
(a) Mrs. Salter threw books at Mr. Moore.
(b) Mrs. Salter took an extended vacation.
(c) Mrs. Salter quit her job.
(d) Mrs. Salter burned a pile of books.
5. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
2. Why does Griswold approve of censorship?
3. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
4. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
5. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
2. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
3. What is Barney doing at the library?
4. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
5. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
6. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
7. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
8. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
10. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)