|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Salters?
(a) The school's former librarian.
(b) The school's former history teacher.
(c) The school's former music teacher.
(d) The school's former principal.
2. What does Nora Bates make her class do in addition to studying their textbooks?
(a) Watch the evening news.
(b) Read novels.
(c) Interview local historians.
(d) Keep a journal.
3. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
(a) Moore the Bore.
(b) Mighty Mike.
(c) Mr. Say-no-Moore.
(d) Monster Mike.
4. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) A teacher at the school.
(c) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(d) The school superintendant.
5. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
(a) The mysteries of the universe.
(b) The marvels of the body.
(c) The miracles of the mind.
(d) The essence of the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
2. Who is Barney named after?
3. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
4. Why does Griswold approve of censorship?
5. What organization will the lawyer invited to the debate represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
2. Of what does Kate inform Barney regarding the school librarian?
3. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
4. What example does Matthew Griswold use to demonstrate that freedom has become less individualized?
5. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
6. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
7. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
8. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
9. How does Principal Moore attempt to calm Mr. McLean over what he finds offensive in "Huckleberry Finn"?
10. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)