|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The novel is misunderstood.
(b) The novel is too difficult to understand.
(c) The novel is Kate's favorite.
(d) The novel is racist and sexist.
2. It is Black's belief that having the ability to explore, grow and adapt free of government control will create what for the people?
(a) Happiness and security.
(b) Misery and anguish.
(c) Sense and sensibility.
(d) Fortune and prosperity.
3. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
(a) The book will be taught in the context of anti-racism.
(b) The book will be censored of all offensive content.
(c) The book will no longer be taught.
(d) The black students will be excused from the class.
4. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From Principal Moore.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From the local newspaper.
(d) From Mrs. Baines.
5. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
(a) As examples of the flexibility of language.
(b) As slang in the age of political correctness.
(c) As perfectly acceptable words.
(d) As deformities of language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
2. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
3. How does Barney say Kate gets her fun?
4. Who is Kent Dickenson?
5. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Steve Turney and why does he stay in Nora's class when other students walk out?
2. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
3. Of what does Kate inform Barney regarding the school librarian?
4. Deirdre and Kate both state that freedom can be dangerous. Explain their individual points of view.
5. What do Barney, Kate and Luke each think about Gordon's offense to Huckleberry Finn?
6. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
7. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
9. Describe the setting of the school board meeting.
10. What decisions does Barney come to in regards to his article?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)