|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
(a) Mrs. Salter had fallen ill.
(b) Mrs. Salter was offered a better position elsewhere.
(c) Mr. Moore didn't like Mrs. Salter.
(d) Mrs. Salter took early retirement.
2. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
(a) New books in the library.
(b) Her overdue books.
(c) The weather.
(d) Principal Moore.
3. What is the topic of the debate Maggie invites Nora and her class to attend?
(a) Freedom of the press.
(c) Constitutional rights.
(d) Individual freedoms.
4. Which of the following books is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) The Catcher in the Rye.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Animal Farm.
5. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
(a) Authors are free to write whatever they want to.
(b) Authors are not all male.
(c) Authors often use pseudonyms.
(d) Authors don't make much money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
2. What does Nora suggest the students use instead of "he" or "she" to refer to authors?
3. Who is Mrs. Salters?
4. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
5. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Barney, Kate and Luke each think about Gordon's offense to Huckleberry Finn?
2. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
3. What do Luke, Gordon and Barney have to say about their respective parents when it comes to "freedom"?
4. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
5. Describe Nora Baines.
6. What is Barney doing at the library?
7. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
8. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
9. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
10. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)