|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
(a) Art teacher.
(b) Math teacher.
2. Where is the book that Barney is seeking?
(a) The book has been "removed".
(b) Another sudent has borrowed the book.
(c) Nora has borrowed the book.
(d) The book has been replaced.
3. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(a) Disturbing the peace.
(d) Bad taste.
4. Where is the debate being held?
(a) A classroom.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The library.
(d) The auditorium.
5. What, according to Dickenson, is the best way to fight a lie?
(a) By telling another lie.
(b) With legal action.
(c) By showing the truth simultaneously.
(d) With righteous indignation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gordon say about his parents?
2. What is the name of the school the students attend?
3. What does Barney say about his parents?
4. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
5. What did the school founder George Mason claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
2. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
3. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
4. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
5. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
6. How does Principal Moore attempt to calm Mr. McLean over what he finds offensive in "Huckleberry Finn"?
7. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
8. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
9. What relevance do the portraits on Principal Moore's wall have in this chapter?
10. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)