|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
(a) He stares in surprise at the portraits on the wall.
(b) He reads passages from the novel.
(c) He tears pages out of a copy of the novel.
(d) He asks that Nora join the meeting.
2. Who is Mrs. Salters?
(a) The school's former librarian.
(b) The school's former music teacher.
(c) The school's former history teacher.
(d) The school's former principal.
3. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
(a) A child choosing crayons.
(b) A woman buying lipstick.
(c) A man selecting a neck tie.
(d) A dog picking a bone.
4. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(c) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
5. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
(a) Whether she can grade him on his professionalism.
(b) Whether she can grade him on his Americanism.
(c) Whether she can grade him on his individualism.
(d) Whether she can grade him on his socialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Barney and Luke claim happened to them over the summer?
2. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
3. It is Black's belief that having the ability to explore, grow and adapt free of government control will create what for the people?
4. Who is Gordon McLean?
5. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Principal Moore attempt to calm Mr. McLean over what he finds offensive in "Huckleberry Finn"?
2. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
3. Describe the class that Maggie Crowley teaches.
4. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
5. What is Barney doing at the library?
6. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
7. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
8. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
9. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
10. How does Nora describe words such as 'clergyperson' and 'policeperson'?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)