|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
(a) Mrs. Salter quit her job.
(b) Mrs. Salter threw books at Mr. Moore.
(c) Mrs. Salter burned a pile of books.
(d) Mrs. Salter took an extended vacation.
2. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
(a) As deformities of language.
(b) As examples of the flexibility of language.
(c) As slang in the age of political correctness.
(d) As perfectly acceptable words.
3. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
(a) A woman buying lipstick.
(b) A child choosing crayons.
(c) A dog picking a bone.
(d) A man selecting a neck tie.
4. What do Barney and Luke claim happened to them over the summer?
(a) They were recruited by the baseball team.
(b) They were possessed.
(c) They were grounded.
(d) They were kidnapped.
5. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
2. What, according to Dickenson, is the best way to fight a lie?
3. What does Nora state about books in general?
4. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
5. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
2. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
3. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
4. What do we learn about Barney in Chapter 6?
5. How does Nora explain Mrs. Salters' departure?
6. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
7. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
8. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made against books, and why hadn't it happened in the past few years?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what impression does Deidre have of Barney?
10. Why does Matthew Griswold believe religious concepts should be introduced in schools?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)