|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From the local newspaper.
(b) From Mrs. Baines.
(c) From her mother.
(d) From Principal Moore.
2. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
(a) American Problems.
(b) American Point of View.
(c) American Geography.
(d) American Debates.
3. What do Barney and Luke claim happened to them over the summer?
(a) They were grounded.
(b) They were recruited by the baseball team.
(c) They were kidnapped.
(d) They were possessed.
4. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A fairy tale step-mother.
(b) A school principal.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A warden.
5. Which of the following authors is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Kurt Vonnegut.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Jane Austen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
2. At which university was the speaker Matthew Griswold referred to in his story booed?
3. Who does Carl suggest should be photographed to balance out the wall of photos?
4. Who is Mrs. Salters?
5. What occurred prior to Mrs. Salters leaving her position at the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Luke, Gordon and Barney have to say about their respective parents when it comes to "freedom"?
2. According to Dickenson, when is an apparent free choice not free at all, and what example does he provide?
3. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
4. How does Nora react to Principal Moore asking her to pull "Huckleberry Finn" from her class?
5. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
6. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
7. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
8. Of what does Kate inform Barney regarding the school librarian?
9. What reaction do we see from Kate when Barney comments that "it doesn't feel right" to refer to authors as 'she' in the abstract?
10. According to Nora, what types of people have been making complaints to the school library in the past few years?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)