|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
(a) The books should be banned immediately.
(b) The complaints should be ignored.
(c) A book review procedure should take place.
(d) The complaints should be submitted to the school board.
2. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Barney Roth.
(b) Nora Baines.
(c) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(d) Gordon McLean.
3. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The portrayal of women in the novel.
(b) The novel's sexual content.
(c) The novel's stereotypical characters.
(d) The use of the word "nigger" in the novel.
4. What does Nora state about books in general?
(a) That books aren't meant to be taken personally.
(b) That books all offend one person or another.
(c) That books are a valuable teaching tool.
(d) That books are easily misunderstood.
5. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The novel is racist and sexist.
(b) The novel is Kate's favorite.
(c) The novel is too difficult to understand.
(d) The novel is misunderstood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
2. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
3. Where is the debate being held?
4. How does Barney say Kate gets her fun?
5. Who is Barney named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relevance do the portraits on Principal Moore's wall have in this chapter?
2. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
3. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
4. How does Principal Moore attempt to calm Mr. McLean over what he finds offensive in "Huckleberry Finn"?
5. What does Nora Baines tell Deirdre about censorship issues at the school?
6. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
7. What are Griswold's beliefs about censorship?
8. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
9. What does Nora explain eventually happened to Mrs. Salters? What might this indicate to Deirdre?
10. What is Principal Moore's response to Nora's vehement refusal to allow "Huckleberry Finn" to be removed from her class?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)