|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
2. What does Gordon say about his parents?
(a) They don't know the meaning of the word 'discipline'.
(b) They are strict.
(c) They are tough like prison guards.
(d) They are too lenient.
3. Who is Carl McLean?
(a) The school superintendant.
(b) A student in Nora's class.
(c) The leader of the Parent Teacher Association.
(d) Gordon's father.
4. What does Nora state about books in general?
(a) That books are easily misunderstood.
(b) That books aren't meant to be taken personally.
(c) That books are a valuable teaching tool.
(d) That books all offend one person or another.
5. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
(a) A more comfortable chair for his office.
(b) An image of Martin Luther King.
(c) A copy of "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) Deirdre, so she can join the meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
2. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
3. What is the title of the debate?
4. What occurred prior to Mrs. Salters leaving her position at the school?
5. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nora Baines.
2. What did Alexis de Tocqueville have to say about life in America?
3. Of what does Kate inform Barney regarding the school librarian?
4. Describe Deirdre Fitzgerald.
5. How does the meeting between Nora Baines and Matthew Griswold go?
6. On what grounds is Gordon McLean offended by "Huckleberry Finn", and what has done about it?
7. What are some of the beliefs of Hugo Black shared by Kent Dickenson?
8. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom is, and how does he think it should be taught?
9. What does Carl McLean demand happen in regards to the novel, and how does Principal Moore respond?
10. What do we learn about Deirdre's previous place of employment?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)