|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offends Matthew Griswold about "Huckleberry Finn"?
(a) The author's use of the word "nigger".
(b) The portrayal of women in the book.
(c) The lack of positive role models in the book.
(d) The author's overt religious intolerance.
2. What does Barney's father say often comes of those who avoid the issues when pressed for details?
(a) They often find themselves under further scrutiny.
(b) They probably have nothing to hide.
(c) They must fit it easy to get through life.
(d) They get away with murder.
3. What has Barney arranged to meet Karen Salters for?
(a) Journalistic advice.
(b) An interview.
(c) To return a book.
(d) To introduce her to Deirdre Fitzgerald.
4. What does Steve Turney believe about many of the individuals who have complained about Huckleberry Finn?
(a) That they are villainizing Mark Twain.
(b) That they have carefully studied the book.
(c) That they are overreacting.
(d) That they have not read the book.
5. Who does Principal Moore have a telephone conversation with at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Carl McLean.
(b) Maggie Crowley.
(c) A member of the school board.
(d) Nora Baines.
6. What does Barney ask Principal Moore about the interview to determine whether it is fit to be published?
(a) Whether it would be offensive to the committee.
(b) Whether it is obscene or libellous.
(c) Whether his sources are reliable.
(d) Whether there are any spelling mistakes.
7. What does Reuben Foster state the Board will have a session to review?
(a) Barney's newspaper article.
(b) Additional books from the school library.
(c) The terms of Karen Salter's deal with Principal Moore.
(d) Principal Moore's censorship policies in the past.
8. Where is the review hearing being held?
(a) In the auditorium.
(b) In the school library.
(c) At the town library.
(d) At the town hall.
9. What does Barney offer Principal Moore should his article be published?
(a) To step down as editor of the school paper.
(b) The chance to speak to the television press.
(c) The opportunity to write a reply.
(d) To leave his name out of the article.
10. What book does Kate cite as not possibly offensive to anyone?
(a) Vanity Fair.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Goodnight, Moon.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
11. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(b) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(c) Researching book bannings in America.
(d) Holding a tutoring session.
12. In class, how does Barney describe "Huckleberry Finn" to Gordon?
(a) As a great work of American literature.
(b) As a book about two men who care for each other.
(c) As a story that transcends racial issues.
(d) As unintentionally offensive.
13. What does Barney state that no one should have the right to do?
(a) Criticize the words authors choose to use.
(b) Stop someone else from reading a specific book.
(c) Scrutinize another person's book selections.
(d) Force a person to read a book.
14. Why doesn't Steve Turney object to staying in the class?
(a) He doesn't find the book to be offensive.
(b) His parents have told him to stay in class.
(c) He thinks that Gordon is handling the situation wrong.
(d) He hasn't yet decided whether the book is racist or not.
15. Which committee members voted to keep Huckleberry Finn 'free' in the school?
(a) Deirdre and Matthew Griswold.
(b) Deirdre, Stanley Lomax and Ben Maddox.
(c) Deirdre and Nora.
(d) Deirdre, Kent Dickenson, and Cindy Dennis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
2. What area is it decided copies of "Huckleberry Finn" should be moved to?
3. What does Karen suggest is the reason Principal Moore wanted the Dickens novel removed?
4. What does Barney say will happen when his story is published?
5. What does Kate say is the only way to fight a lie?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)