|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Governor of Georgia do in the story Lomax told?
(a) The Govenor overturned a ban on "Huckleberry Finn."
(b) The Govenor abused his power to make positive changes.
(c) The Govenor restricted the freedom of the press.
(d) The Govenor attempted to have books supporting integration burned.
2. What does Deirdre remind Moore he should be respectful of?
(a) The literary career of Mark Twain.
(b) The procedures of the school.
(c) The influence he has on the students.
(d) Her role as librarian.
3. What book containing rape, slavery and murder did Karen complain about to Moore?
(a) The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) Gone with the Wind.
(d) War and Peace.
4. What book does Kate cite as not possibly offensive to anyone?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Vanity Fair.
(c) Goodnight, Moon.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
5. What is Reuben Foster doing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Speaking with Carl McLean.
(b) Composing a letter to Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(c) Reading through "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) Role-playing conversations.
6. Who does Reuben Foster tell Principal Moore to share the School Board's decision with?
(a) The media.
(b) The George Mason faculty.
(c) No one.
(d) Nora and Deirdre.
7. What does Principal Moore talk to in his office?
(a) A photo of John Wayne.
(b) A copy of Huckleberry Finn.
(c) His pet turtle.
(d) The school coat of arms.
8. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(b) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(c) Researching book bannings in America.
(d) Holding a tutoring session.
9. What does Kate say is the only way to fight a lie?
(a) By shouting the truth.
(b) By getting the media on your side.
(c) Not to let it infect people in the first place.
(d) With legal action.
10. How does Principal Moore say the school will look if the article is published?
(d) Out of control.
11. What is the outcome of the board's vote?
(a) Huckleberry Finn is banned from the school.
(b) Principal Moore loses his job.
(c) Huckleberry Finn is kept free from restrictions.
(d) The vote is split and the committee is dissolved.
12. Which of the following is not a member of the review committee?
(a) Helen Cook
(b) Cynthia Morgan
(c) Ben Maddox
(d) Frank Sylvester
13. What did Karen warn she might do which spurred Principal Moore to threaten to fire her?
(a) Burn down the library.
(b) Return any 'removed' books to the shelves.
(c) Go to the media.
(d) Report him for incompetence.
14. What does Barney offer Principal Moore should his article be published?
(a) To step down as editor of the school paper.
(b) The opportunity to write a reply.
(c) The chance to speak to the television press.
(d) To leave his name out of the article.
15. What does Reuben Foster state the Board will have a session to review?
(a) The terms of Karen Salter's deal with Principal Moore.
(b) Additional books from the school library.
(c) Principal Moore's censorship policies in the past.
(d) Barney's newspaper article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora ask Griswold?
2. What does Steve Turney believe about many of the individuals who have complained about Huckleberry Finn?
3. Who does Kate say she would like to see debate Carl McLean?
4. What does Maggie suggest might happen if Barney offends Principal Moore?
5. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)