|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barney suggest Gordon should do in discussions about Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Gordon should raise his voice.
(b) Gordon should excuse himself.
(c) Gordon should speak out.
(d) Gordon should keep his opinions to himself.
2. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
(a) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(b) Nora Baines.
(c) Maggie Crowley.
(d) Principal Moore
3. What does Barney ask Principal Moore about the interview to determine whether it is fit to be published?
(a) Whether it would be offensive to the committee.
(b) Whether his sources are reliable.
(c) Whether there are any spelling mistakes.
(d) Whether it is obscene or libellous.
4. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(b) Researching book bannings in America.
(c) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(d) Holding a tutoring session.
5. What has Barney written for the school paper?
(a) An investigation of Prinicipal Moore's censorship.
(b) A profile of Principal Moore.
(c) An editorial about Huckleberry Finn.
(d) An interview with Deirdre Fitzgerald.
6. What right(s) does Kate feel are being infringed on by having to read "Huckleberry Finn"?
(a) The right to speak freely and demonstrate.
(b) The right to freedom of choice.
(c) The right to freedom of education.
(d) The right to be free from racism and sexism.
7. What does Moore claim in his local TV interview?
(a) That he is proud of Barney for his journalistic skill.
(b) That he never considered preventing Barney's article from being published.
(c) That he will be suing Barney and his family.
(d) That the article is 100% untrue.
8. What does Reuben Foster state the Board will have a session to review?
(a) Barney's newspaper article.
(b) Principal Moore's censorship policies in the past.
(c) The terms of Karen Salter's deal with Principal Moore.
(d) Additional books from the school library.
9. What does Moore commend Barney on?
(a) For his perfect score on a test.
(b) For attending the review hearing.
(c) For his interest in school activities.
(d) For his balanced presentation of the issues in the school paper.
10. What does Kate believe educational institutions should guide students on?
(a) The media students are exposed to.
(b) Their religious practices.
(c) The difference between right and wrong.
(d) Social interactions.
11. What does Barney state that no one should have the right to do?
(a) Stop someone else from reading a specific book.
(b) Criticize the words authors choose to use.
(c) Force a person to read a book.
(d) Scrutinize another person's book selections.
12. Who, by law, is prevented from controlling the school newspaper?
(a) The students.
(b) The school authorities.
(c) The teaching staff.
(d) The government.
13. Luke's comment that they should just take Huck out and shoot him is seen as proof of what by Carl McLean?
(a) That the novel inspired violence.
(b) That high school students are not mature enough to understand the novel.
(c) That young people lack respect.
(d) That white students are insensitive to black issues.
14. What did the Governor of Georgia do in the story Lomax told?
(a) The Govenor restricted the freedom of the press.
(b) The Govenor overturned a ban on "Huckleberry Finn."
(c) The Govenor abused his power to make positive changes.
(d) The Govenor attempted to have books supporting integration burned.
15. What does Kate say is the only way to fight a lie?
(a) With legal action.
(b) By getting the media on your side.
(c) Not to let it infect people in the first place.
(d) By shouting the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book containing rape, slavery and murder did Karen complain about to Moore?
2. What does Karen suggest is the reason Principal Moore wanted the Dickens novel removed?
3. What is the outcome of the board's vote?
4. In class, how does Barney describe "Huckleberry Finn" to Gordon?
5. What does Nora Baines walk into the library carrying?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)