|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barney say will happen when his story is published?
(a) Karen Salter will be a heroine.
(b) The "Huckleberry Finn" issue will be quickly settled.
(c) Principal Moore will be fired.
(d) He will be expelled from school.
2. What did Karen warn she might do which spurred Principal Moore to threaten to fire her?
(a) Report him for incompetence.
(b) Go to the media.
(c) Return any 'removed' books to the shelves.
(d) Burn down the library.
3. What does Barney want printed next to his article?
(a) A photo of Mark Twain.
(b) An illustration of Huckleberry Finn.
(c) A photo of Principal Moore.
(d) A photo of Karen Salter.
4. What are Reuben Fosters personal feelings for Principal Moore?
(a) Foster respects Principal Moore.
(b) Foster thinks Principal Moore is funny.
(c) Foster dislikes Principal Moore.
(d) Foster distrusts Principal Moore.
5. What are Luke, Barney and Nora doing in the library?
(a) Waiting for the names of the review committee to be released.
(b) Holding a tutoring session.
(c) Creating petitions to save "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) Researching book bannings in America.
6. Which of the following is not a member of the review committee?
(a) Ben Maddox
(b) Frank Sylvester
(c) Helen Cook
(d) Cynthia Morgan
7. What does Maggie suggest might happen if Barney offends Principal Moore?
(a) Barney might be suspended.
(b) Principal Moore might take legal action.
(c) Principal Moore might interfere with his college applications.
(d) Barney might be removed from the school newspaper staff.
8. What does Reuben Foster state the Board will have a session to review?
(a) Principal Moore's censorship policies in the past.
(b) Barney's newspaper article.
(c) The terms of Karen Salter's deal with Principal Moore.
(d) Additional books from the school library.
9. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
(a) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(b) Principal Moore
(c) Nora Baines.
(d) Maggie Crowley.
10. What does Kate believe educational institutions should guide students on?
(a) The difference between right and wrong.
(b) Their religious practices.
(c) The media students are exposed to.
(d) Social interactions.
11. What does Moore say of his past with Karen Salter?
(a) That she misunderstood the issues between them.
(b) That she blackmailed him.
(c) That she took advantage of the situation.
(d) That she was right.
12. What has Deirdre heard some people described as worse than books that degrade minorities?
(a) Books with no minorities at all.
(b) Badly written books.
(c) Books that degrade women.
(d) Books that glorify war.
13. What does Luke question Barney about in regards to the school paper?
(a) Why he can't find a copy to read.
(b) Why he did not write any stories about the previous year's censorship issue.
(c) Why there is so much coverage of the "Huckleberry Finn" controversy.
(d) Why he would want to work for it.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 11, some students object to staying in what sort of class?
(a) A harmful class.
(b) An oppressive class.
(c) An offensive class.
(d) A racist class.
15. What offends Matthew Griswold about "Huckleberry Finn"?
(a) The portrayal of women in the book.
(b) The author's overt religious intolerance.
(c) The author's use of the word "nigger".
(d) The lack of positive role models in the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. A teacher at the school has filed a complaint against the book for what reason?
2. What makes Kate question her original beliefs?
3. What is Reuben Foster doing at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What do Luke and Barney see a lack of at the review hearing?
5. During her appearance on television, on which point did Deirdre state her agreement with Kate?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)