|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who admits to ignoring Frank Sylvester and Helen Cook since the vote?
(a) Nora Baines.
(b) Principal Moore
(c) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(d) Maggie Crowley.
2. What organization has also filed a complaint against the book?
(a) The Organization for Educational Morality.
(b) Christians for American Schools.
(c) The American Education League.
(d) Parents for Moral Schools.
3. What has Barney arranged to meet Karen Salters for?
(a) To introduce her to Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(b) To return a book.
(c) An interview.
(d) Journalistic advice.
4. What has Deirdre heard some people described as worse than books that degrade minorities?
(a) Books that degrade women.
(b) Books with no minorities at all.
(c) Badly written books.
(d) Books that glorify war.
5. What does Mr. Dennis claim Jim and Huck's nudity in the novel suggests?
(a) The author was a social deviant.
(c) Innocence and purity.
(d) A sense of freedom.
6. Who do Evelyn Kantrow and Stanley Lomax represent on the committee?
(a) The community.
7. What does Steve Turney believe about many of the individuals who have complained about Huckleberry Finn?
(a) That they are villainizing Mark Twain.
(b) That they have not read the book.
(c) That they have carefully studied the book.
(d) That they are overreacting.
8. What did Karen warn she might do which spurred Principal Moore to threaten to fire her?
(a) Report him for incompetence.
(b) Return any 'removed' books to the shelves.
(c) Burn down the library.
(d) Go to the media.
9. What does Principal Moore talk to in his office?
(a) His pet turtle.
(b) The school coat of arms.
(c) A photo of John Wayne.
(d) A copy of Huckleberry Finn.
10. What does Nora feel should never occur?
(a) Teachers going unchallenged.
(b) Students walking out of class.
(c) Books being put on trial.
(d) Parents interfering in the classroom.
11. Where is the review hearing being held?
(a) At the town hall.
(b) In the school library.
(c) At the town library.
(d) In the auditorium.
12. What does Moore ask Deirdre to do with the library's copies of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Mail them back to their publisher.
(b) Bring them to his office.
(c) To put them under her desk.
(d) Hide them in a closet.
13. What does Nora say is actually tried when a book is on trial?
(a) Those individuals who have read and found value in the book.
(b) The values of the American public.
(c) The imagination, free-speech and feeling of its author.
(d) The arts.
14. Who is Steve Turney?
(a) A member of the School Board.
(b) A student who writes for the school newspaper.
(c) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(d) The only black student who remains in the class.
15. How does Principal Moore try to convince Deirdre to remove the books from the library?
(a) By describing it as a kind and compassionate act.
(b) By expressing that it's for the good of the school.
(c) By offering her a pay raise.
(d) By threatening her job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barney say will happen when his story is published?
2. What do Barney, Luke, Gordon and Kate do during lunchtime?
3. What does Kate suggest of Barney to hurt his feelings?
4. What does Barney offer Principal Moore should his article be published?
5. Who argues with Principal Moore about the publishing of the Salters Interview at the beginning of Chapter 14?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)