|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
2. What does Mr. Moore attempt to explain about the racist references in the novel?
(a) That the references really aren't that offensive.
(b) That the references are all in Mr. McLean's imagination.
(c) That the references are actually disapproving of racist attitudes.
(d) That the references are simply a sign of the times.
3. Who is Kate Stevens?
(a) Barney's sister.
(b) The school librarian.
(c) A student at the school.
(d) A student teacher.
4. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
(a) Mighty Mike.
(b) Monster Mike.
(c) Mr. Say-no-Moore.
(d) Moore the Bore.
5. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
(a) Leave his telephone number.
(b) Contact the school board.
(c) Take his son home.
(d) Fill out a complaint form.
6. What is Barney's full first name?
7. Who bounces a book off of Kate's head?
(a) Principal Moore.
8. Who does Kate claim truly ruled in America?
(a) The rich upperclass.
(b) Male, white people.
(c) Powerful businessmen.
(d) The lobbyists in Washington.
9. What is Gordon's opinion of Nora after reading Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Nora must not care how her black students feel.
(b) Nora must be a feminist.
(c) Nora must not have read the book.
(d) Nora must be trying to offend the boys in her class.
10. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
(a) The modern age.
(b) The global economy.
(d) The fields of science and technology.
11. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
(a) The marvels of the body.
(b) The miracles of the mind.
(c) The mysteries of the universe.
(d) The essence of the soul.
12. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
13. Why does Griswold believe high school students should not be allowed to have free choice?
(a) Students are not able to think clearly.
(b) Students are too selfish.
(c) Students lack common sense.
(d) Students are not ready for such degrees of freedom.
14. What organization will the lawyer invited to the debate represent?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Constitutional Rights Foundation.
(c) People For The American Way.
(d) Amnesty International.
15. Where do Deirdre and Nora discuss the truth behind what happened to Mrs. Salter?
(a) At a fast food joint.
(b) In the school library.
(c) In the teachers' lounge.
(d) At a coffeeshop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
2. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
3. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
4. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
5. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)