|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matthew Griswold's concern about freedom?
(a) That freedom is disappearing.
(b) That freedom is localized.
(c) That freedom is less individualized.
(d) That freedom is undervalued.
2. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
3. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
4. What point does Griswold make about the Supreme Court upholding the separation of Church and state?
(a) That American will one day suffer as a result.
(b) That the Supreme Court is full of clowns.
(c) That people will support a change someday.
(d) That slavery and segregation were once upheld, too.
5. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
(a) Deirdre, so she can join the meeting.
(b) An image of Martin Luther King.
(c) A copy of "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) A more comfortable chair for his office.
6. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
(b) The fields of science and technology.
(c) The global economy.
(d) The modern age.
7. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
(a) She anticipates a "heated discussion".
(b) She anticipates a "coup d'etat".
(c) She anticipates a "big explosion".
(d) She anticipates a "pointless confrontation".
8. What, according to Dickenson, is the best way to fight a lie?
(a) By telling another lie.
(b) With legal action.
(c) By showing the truth simultaneously.
(d) With righteous indignation.
9. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is a bully.
(b) Whether he is lost.
(c) Whether he is shy.
(d) Whether he is intelligent.
10. What does Barney say about his parents?
(a) They treat him like an adult.
(b) They follow his every move.
(c) They trust him.
(d) They don't seem to notice him.
11. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
(a) Principal Moore.
(b) Her overdue books.
(c) New books in the library.
(d) The weather.
12. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
(a) The book will no longer be taught.
(b) The book will be censored of all offensive content.
(c) The book will be taught in the context of anti-racism.
(d) The black students will be excused from the class.
13. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(b) The school superintendant.
(c) A teacher at the school.
(d) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
14. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) George Mason High School
(b) Lincoln High School
(c) Hagstrom High School
(d) Fitzgerald High School
15. According to Griswold, who has the right to participate in the activities of pubic school systems?
(a) Any taxpayer.
(b) Members of the Parent Teacher Association.
(c) Anyone with a driver's licence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will represent The Citizen's League for the Preservation of American Values in the debate?
2. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
3. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
4. What book by Alexis de Tocqueville does Nora introduce in her class?
5. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)