|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The novel is racist and sexist.
(b) The novel is misunderstood.
(c) The novel is Kate's favorite.
(d) The novel is too difficult to understand.
2. What does Luke think of Gordon's reaction to Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Luke thinks Gordon is overreacting.
(b) Luke thinks Gordon is right.
(c) Luke thinks Gordon is misunderstanding the story.
(d) Luke thinks Gordon is seeking attention.
3. Which of the following books is on the reading list for Nora's class?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
(d) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
4. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
(a) Take his son home.
(b) Contact the school board.
(c) Leave his telephone number.
(d) Fill out a complaint form.
5. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A pre-school.
(c) A private school for girls.
(d) The town library.
6. What does Mr. Moore attempt to explain about the racist references in the novel?
(a) That the references really aren't that offensive.
(b) That the references are simply a sign of the times.
(c) That the references are actually disapproving of racist attitudes.
(d) That the references are all in Mr. McLean's imagination.
7. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
(a) A committee of local citizens.
(c) The headmistress.
(d) The mayor.
8. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
(a) Save Our Children from American School Heretics.
(b) Save Our Children from Atheist Secular Humanism.
(c) Save Our Children from Austen, Shakespeare & Hemmingway.
(d) Save Our Children from Authors, Satirists & Humorists.
9. Who is Carl McLean?
(a) A student in Nora's class.
(b) Gordon's father.
(c) The school superintendant.
(d) The leader of the Parent Teacher Association.
10. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
(a) The books should be banned immediately.
(b) The complaints should be ignored.
(c) The complaints should be submitted to the school board.
(d) A book review procedure should take place.
11. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
(a) Mrs. Salter burned a pile of books.
(b) Mrs. Salter quit her job.
(c) Mrs. Salter took an extended vacation.
(d) Mrs. Salter threw books at Mr. Moore.
12. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
(a) The global economy.
(c) The modern age.
(d) The fields of science and technology.
13. What, according to Dickenson, is the best way to fight a lie?
(a) By telling another lie.
(b) With legal action.
(c) With righteous indignation.
(d) By showing the truth simultaneously.
14. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
15. Who does Kate claim truly ruled in America?
(a) Powerful businessmen.
(b) The lobbyists in Washington.
(c) The rich upperclass.
(d) Male, white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
2. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
3. Why does Griswold believe high school students should not be allowed to have free choice?
4. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
5. According to Nora Baines, what or who had been a victim of assaults in the previous school year?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)