|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
(a) Her overdue books.
(b) The weather.
(c) New books in the library.
(d) Principal Moore.
2. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is intelligent.
(b) Whether he is lost.
(c) Whether he is shy.
(d) Whether he is a bully.
3. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From Principal Moore.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From Mrs. Baines.
(d) From the local newspaper.
4. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
(a) Mr. Say-no-Moore.
(b) Moore the Bore.
(c) Mighty Mike.
(d) Monster Mike.
5. Who is Barney named after?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A famous author.
(c) His uncle.
(d) A comic strip character.
6. What does Nora Bates make her class do in addition to studying their textbooks?
(a) Watch the evening news.
(b) Read novels.
(c) Interview local historians.
(d) Keep a journal.
7. Who is Kate Stevens?
(a) A student teacher.
(b) Barney's sister.
(c) A student at the school.
(d) The school librarian.
8. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) Hagstrom High School
(b) Fitzgerald High School
(c) George Mason High School
(d) Lincoln High School
9. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
(a) Whether she can grade him on his socialism.
(b) Whether she can grade him on his Americanism.
(c) Whether she can grade him on his individualism.
(d) Whether she can grade him on his professionalism.
10. Who is Gordon McLean?
(a) A student in Nora's class.
(b) The chairman of the P.T.A.
(c) An exchange student from Scotland.
(d) A student who works on the school newspaper.
11. What does Nora suggest the students use instead of "he" or "she" to refer to authors?
(a) "The composers"
(b) "The novelists."
(d) The wordsmiths."
12. Where is the book that Barney is seeking?
(a) The book has been replaced.
(b) Another sudent has borrowed the book.
(c) Nora has borrowed the book.
(d) The book has been "removed".
13. Which of the following books is on the reading list for Nora's class?
(a) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
(b) A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
14. What did the school founder George Mason claim?
(a) That children should be seen and not heard.
(b) That freedom of the press was vital.
(c) That money makes the world go 'round.
(d) That freedom of speech is a luxury.
15. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The portrayal of women in the novel.
(b) The novel's sexual content.
(c) The use of the word "nigger" in the novel.
(d) The novel's stereotypical characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
2. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
3. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
4. What action does Gordon take after reading Huckleberry Finn?
5. What is Barney's full first name?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)