|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Gordon McLean.
(b) Nora Baines.
(c) Barney Roth.
(d) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
2. Who is Hugo Black?
(a) A student in Maggie's class.
(b) A Supreme Court Justice
(c) A participant in the debate.
(d) A school janitor.
3. Which of the following books is on the reading list for Nora's class?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
(c) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
(d) The Hobbit.
4. What is the title of the debate?
(a) "Is Individual Freedom Worth Fighting For?"
(b) "Is America really Free?"
(c) "Is America out of Hand?"
(d) "Is Individual Freedom Getting out of Hand?"
5. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
(a) A woman buying lipstick.
(b) A dog picking a bone.
(c) A man selecting a neck tie.
(d) A child choosing crayons.
6. Who does Carl suggest should be photographed to balance out the wall of photos?
(a) The teaching staff.
(b) The students.
(d) The kitchen and custodial staff.
7. What occurred prior to Mrs. Salters leaving her position at the school?
(a) An assault.
(b) An affair.
(c) An altercation.
(d) An accident.
8. Who does Kate claim truly ruled in America?
(a) The rich upperclass.
(b) Powerful businessmen.
(c) The lobbyists in Washington.
(d) Male, white people.
9. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
(a) A more comfortable chair for his office.
(b) An image of Martin Luther King.
(c) Deirdre, so she can join the meeting.
(d) A copy of "Huckleberry Finn".
10. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
(a) Mrs. Salter was offered a better position elsewhere.
(b) Mrs. Salter had fallen ill.
(c) Mr. Moore didn't like Mrs. Salter.
(d) Mrs. Salter took early retirement.
11. Where do Deirdre and Nora discuss the truth behind what happened to Mrs. Salter?
(a) At a coffeeshop.
(b) In the teachers' lounge.
(c) In the school library.
(d) At a fast food joint.
12. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To convince her to return to the school.
(b) To get her advice on an essay.
(c) To throw her a party.
(d) To interview her for the school newspaper.
13. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
(a) The book will no longer be taught.
(b) The book will be censored of all offensive content.
(c) The book will be taught in the context of anti-racism.
(d) The black students will be excused from the class.
14. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
15. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Nora Baines.
(b) Maggie Crowley.
(c) Principal Moore.
(d) Carl McLean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
2. Who is Carl McLean?
3. It is Black's belief that having the ability to explore, grow and adapt free of government control will create what for the people?
4. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
5. What does Gordon say about his parents?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)