|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the debate Maggie invites Nora and her class to attend?
(a) Freedom of the press.
(c) Constitutional rights.
(d) Individual freedoms.
2. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A pre-school.
(c) The town library.
(d) A private school for girls.
3. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(b) "Where is Freedom?"
(c) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
(d) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
4. Who is Barney named after?
(a) His uncle.
(b) A comic strip character.
(c) A famous author.
(d) His grandfather.
5. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is intelligent.
(b) Whether he is shy.
(c) Whether he is lost.
(d) Whether he is a bully.
6. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
(a) New books in the library.
(b) Principal Moore.
(c) The weather.
(d) Her overdue books.
7. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
8. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
(a) The book will be censored of all offensive content.
(b) The book will no longer be taught.
(c) The book will be taught in the context of anti-racism.
(d) The black students will be excused from the class.
9. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
(a) She anticipates a "big explosion".
(b) She anticipates a "coup d'etat".
(c) She anticipates a "pointless confrontation".
(d) She anticipates a "heated discussion".
10. What do Barney and Luke claim happened to them over the summer?
(a) They were kidnapped.
(b) They were grounded.
(c) They were recruited by the baseball team.
(d) They were possessed.
11. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
12. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
(a) American Point of View.
(b) American Problems.
(c) American Debates.
(d) American Geography.
13. Who is Carl McLean?
(a) The leader of the Parent Teacher Association.
(b) The school superintendant.
(c) Gordon's father.
(d) A student in Nora's class.
14. It is Black's belief that having the ability to explore, grow and adapt free of government control will create what for the people?
(a) Happiness and security.
(b) Misery and anguish.
(c) Fortune and prosperity.
(d) Sense and sensibility.
15. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The portrayal of women in the novel.
(b) The use of the word "nigger" in the novel.
(c) The novel's sexual content.
(d) The novel's stereotypical characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
2. What subject does Nora Baines teach?
3. Which of the following describes Deidre Fitzgerald?
4. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
5. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)