|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
(b) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(c) "Where is Freedom?"
(d) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
2. What point does Griswold make about the Supreme Court upholding the separation of Church and state?
(a) That slavery and segregation were once upheld, too.
(b) That American will one day suffer as a result.
(c) That the Supreme Court is full of clowns.
(d) That people will support a change someday.
3. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
4. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
(b) The fields of science and technology.
(c) The global economy.
(d) The modern age.
5. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(c) The school superintendant.
(d) A teacher at the school.
6. Who is Mrs. Salters?
(a) The school's former principal.
(b) The school's former history teacher.
(c) The school's former music teacher.
(d) The school's former librarian.
7. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A warden.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A fairy tale step-mother.
(d) A school principal.
8. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
(a) A devious behavior.
(b) A natural behavior.
(c) A social behavior.
(d) A learned behavior.
9. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
(a) The books should be banned immediately.
(b) The complaints should be submitted to the school board.
(c) A book review procedure should take place.
(d) The complaints should be ignored.
10. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To convince her to return to the school.
(b) To get her advice on an essay.
(c) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(d) To throw her a party.
11. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
(a) Banned books.
(b) Human rights.
(c) Newspaper publishing,
(d) Mark Twain.
12. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(c) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
13. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
(a) Whether she can grade him on his Americanism.
(b) Whether she can grade him on his individualism.
(c) Whether she can grade him on his socialism.
(d) Whether she can grade him on his professionalism.
14. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
(b) A committee of local citizens.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The headmistress.
15. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
(a) Deirdre, so she can join the meeting.
(b) A more comfortable chair for his office.
(c) A copy of "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) An image of Martin Luther King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
2. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
3. What did de Tocqueville fear was lost in an effort by Americans to assimilate?
4. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
5. What does Nora Bates make her class do in addition to studying their textbooks?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)