|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
2. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
(a) Very few of them are black.
(b) A couple of them are strangely dressed.
(c) Some of them are very distinguished looking.
(d) Many of them have passed away.
3. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(b) To throw her a party.
(c) To convince her to return to the school.
(d) To get her advice on an essay.
4. What did the school founder George Mason claim?
(a) That freedom of the press was vital.
(b) That money makes the world go 'round.
(c) That children should be seen and not heard.
(d) That freedom of speech is a luxury.
5. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
(a) Mrs. Salter threw books at Mr. Moore.
(b) Mrs. Salter quit her job.
(c) Mrs. Salter took an extended vacation.
(d) Mrs. Salter burned a pile of books.
6. What occurred prior to Mrs. Salters leaving her position at the school?
(a) An assault.
(b) An accident.
(c) An altercation.
(d) An affair.
7. What does Carl McLean demand?
(a) That the book be removed from the school.
(b) The Nora be fired.
(c) That his son be transferred to another school.
(d) That the library be closed.
8. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
(a) A committee of local citizens.
(c) The headmistress.
(d) The mayor.
9. According to Griswold, who has the right to participate in the activities of pubic school systems?
(a) Anyone with a driver's licence.
(b) Any taxpayer.
(c) Members of the Parent Teacher Association.
10. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
(a) The marvels of the body.
(b) The mysteries of the universe.
(c) The essence of the soul.
(d) The miracles of the mind.
11. Who is Barney named after?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His uncle.
(c) A comic strip character.
(d) A famous author.
12. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
(a) She anticipates a "coup d'etat".
(b) She anticipates a "pointless confrontation".
(c) She anticipates a "heated discussion".
(d) She anticipates a "big explosion".
13. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
(a) Moore the Bore.
(b) Monster Mike.
(c) Mighty Mike.
(d) Mr. Say-no-Moore.
14. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
(a) Students never returned books by their due dates.
(b) Mrs. Salter was told to remove books from the library on a daily basis.
(c) There were not enough books in the library.
(d) Mrs. Salter became tired of explaining why certain books were no longer unavailable.
15. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
(a) Save Our Children from Austen, Shakespeare & Hemmingway.
(b) Save Our Children from Atheist Secular Humanism.
(c) Save Our Children from American School Heretics.
(d) Save Our Children from Authors, Satirists & Humorists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization will the lawyer invited to the debate represent?
2. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
3. Who does Kate claim truly ruled in America?
4. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
5. What action does Gordon take after reading Huckleberry Finn?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)