|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book by Alexis de Tocqueville does Nora introduce in her class?
(a) America and her People.
(b) Bonjour, America.
(c) Discovering America.
(d) Democracy in America.
2. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
(a) Mrs. Salter was told to remove books from the library on a daily basis.
(b) Mrs. Salter became tired of explaining why certain books were no longer unavailable.
(c) There were not enough books in the library.
(d) Students never returned books by their due dates.
3. Who bounces a book off of Kate's head?
(a) Principal Moore.
4. Why does Griswold believe high school students should not be allowed to have free choice?
(a) Students are too selfish.
(b) Students are not ready for such degrees of freedom.
(c) Students lack common sense.
(d) Students are not able to think clearly.
5. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A warden.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A fairy tale step-mother.
(d) A school principal.
6. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From the local newspaper.
(b) From Mrs. Baines.
(c) From Principal Moore.
(d) From her mother.
7. Where do Deirdre and Nora discuss the truth behind what happened to Mrs. Salter?
(a) In the school library.
(b) In the teachers' lounge.
(c) At a coffeeshop.
(d) At a fast food joint.
8. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
(a) Save Our Children from Austen, Shakespeare & Hemmingway.
(b) Save Our Children from American School Heretics.
(c) Save Our Children from Atheist Secular Humanism.
(d) Save Our Children from Authors, Satirists & Humorists.
9. Where is the book that Barney is seeking?
(a) The book has been replaced.
(b) The book has been "removed".
(c) Nora has borrowed the book.
(d) Another sudent has borrowed the book.
10. What is Gordon's opinion of Nora after reading Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Nora must be a feminist.
(b) Nora must not care how her black students feel.
(c) Nora must be trying to offend the boys in her class.
(d) Nora must not have read the book.
11. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
(a) The headmistress.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A committee of local citizens.
12. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Banned books.
(c) Newspaper publishing,
(d) Human rights.
13. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
(a) The marvels of the body.
(b) The miracles of the mind.
(c) The essence of the soul.
(d) The mysteries of the universe.
14. In his meeting with Nora, what does Principal Moore say causes teacher burnout?
(a) Planning too many activities.
(b) Coaching too many sports.
15. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
(a) You need knowledge of religious concepts to get into college.
(b) Schools are a place of learning.
(c) Parents don't have time to teach religion.
(d) Modern kids are lack morals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
2. What does Barney want to do as an adult?
3. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
4. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
5. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)