|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Gordon McLean?
(a) An exchange student from Scotland.
(b) A student who works on the school newspaper.
(c) The chairman of the P.T.A.
(d) A student in Nora's class.
2. Why does Griswold believe high school students should not be allowed to have free choice?
(a) Students are too selfish.
(b) Students are not able to think clearly.
(c) Students lack common sense.
(d) Students are not ready for such degrees of freedom.
3. What is Barney's full first name?
4. What does Gordon say about his parents?
(a) They are strict.
(b) They are too lenient.
(c) They are tough like prison guards.
(d) They don't know the meaning of the word 'discipline'.
5. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
(a) He would encourage students to read them.
(b) He would tear out the pages with offensive content.
(c) He would ask Mrs. Salter to remove them from the library.
(d) He would let the P.T.A. decide what to do.
6. According to Nora Baines, what or who had been a victim of assaults in the previous school year?
(a) Members of the glee club.
(b) Library books.
(c) The chairs in the cafeteria.
(d) The school mascot.
7. What does Barney want to do as an adult?
(a) Barney wants to be a librarian.
(b) Barney wants to be a researcher.
(c) Barney wants to be a writer.
(d) Barney wants to be a teacher.
8. What organization will the lawyer invited to the debate represent?
(a) Amnesty International.
(b) The Constitutional Rights Foundation.
(c) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(d) People For The American Way.
9. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Principal Moore.
(b) Carl McLean.
(c) Maggie Crowley.
(d) Nora Baines.
10. How does Maggie hope to get her students to learn to think for themselves?
(a) By assigning lots of homework.
(b) By letting them set the curriculum for the class.
(c) By having them hear educated people speak on all topics.
(d) By making them read newspapers daily.
11. Where is the debate being held?
(a) The cafeteria.
(b) The library.
(c) The auditorium.
(d) A classroom.
12. What does Carl McLean demand?
(a) That the library be closed.
(b) The Nora be fired.
(c) That his son be transferred to another school.
(d) That the book be removed from the school.
13. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
(a) To borrow a copy from another school.
(b) Her own private copy.
(c) To buy another copy.
(d) An audio version.
14. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
(a) Principal Moore.
(b) The weather.
(c) Her overdue books.
(d) New books in the library.
15. At which university was the speaker Matthew Griswold referred to in his story booed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
2. Why does Griswold approve of censorship?
3. Who is Hugo Black?
4. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
5. What does Mr. Moore attempt to explain about the racist references in the novel?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)