|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will represent The Citizen's League for the Preservation of American Values in the debate?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) Principal Moore.
(c) Carl McLean.
(d) Matthew Griswold.
2. What does Carl McLean demand?
(a) That the book be removed from the school.
(b) That the library be closed.
(c) That his son be transferred to another school.
(d) The Nora be fired.
3. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
4. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
(a) Authors often use pseudonyms.
(b) Authors don't make much money.
(c) Authors are free to write whatever they want to.
(d) Authors are not all male.
5. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A warden.
(b) A school principal.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A fairy tale step-mother.
6. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Nora Baines.
(b) Carl McLean.
(c) Maggie Crowley.
(d) Principal Moore.
7. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
(a) Very few of them are black.
(b) Many of them have passed away.
(c) Some of them are very distinguished looking.
(d) A couple of them are strangely dressed.
8. What is Gordon's opinion of Nora after reading Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Nora must be a feminist.
(b) Nora must be trying to offend the boys in her class.
(c) Nora must not care how her black students feel.
(d) Nora must not have read the book.
9. What does Gordon say about his parents?
(a) They are tough like prison guards.
(b) They are too lenient.
(c) They don't know the meaning of the word 'discipline'.
(d) They are strict.
10. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Gordon McLean.
(b) Nora Baines.
(c) Barney Roth.
(d) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
11. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
(a) American Point of View.
(b) American Geography.
(c) American Problems.
(d) American Debates.
12. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
(a) Math teacher.
(b) Art teacher.
13. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(b) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The school superintendant.
(d) A teacher at the school.
14. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From the local newspaper.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From Mrs. Baines.
(d) From Principal Moore.
15. What is the title of the debate?
(a) "Is Individual Freedom Worth Fighting For?"
(b) "Is America really Free?"
(c) "Is America out of Hand?"
(d) "Is Individual Freedom Getting out of Hand?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following books is on the reading list for Nora's class?
2. Which of the following books is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
3. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
4. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
5. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)