|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Griswold, who has the right to participate in the activities of pubic school systems?
(a) Members of the Parent Teacher Association.
(c) Anyone with a driver's licence.
(d) Any taxpayer.
2. What nickname do Barney and Luke have for their principal?
(a) Monster Mike.
(b) Mighty Mike.
(c) Moore the Bore.
(d) Mr. Say-no-Moore.
3. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
(a) Art teacher.
(d) Math teacher.
4. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(b) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
5. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A fairy tale step-mother.
(b) A warden.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A school principal.
6. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
(b) The fields of science and technology.
(c) The global economy.
(d) The modern age.
7. Which of the following describes Deidre Fitzgerald?
(a) An elderly woman with short hair.
(b) A tall, slender woman with a kind voice.
(c) A petite, fashionable woman.
(d) A short, heavy-set woman with glasses.
8. Who does Carl suggest should be photographed to balance out the wall of photos?
(a) The students.
(c) The kitchen and custodial staff.
(d) The teaching staff.
9. What does Nora suggest the students use instead of "he" or "she" to refer to authors?
(b) "The novelists."
(c) The wordsmiths."
(d) "The composers"
10. Who is Gordon McLean?
(a) The chairman of the P.T.A.
(b) A student who works on the school newspaper.
(c) An exchange student from Scotland.
(d) A student in Nora's class.
11. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(b) To throw her a party.
(c) To get her advice on an essay.
(d) To convince her to return to the school.
12. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
(a) An audio version.
(b) To borrow a copy from another school.
(c) To buy another copy.
(d) Her own private copy.
13. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
(a) Whether she can grade him on his individualism.
(b) Whether she can grade him on his Americanism.
(c) Whether she can grade him on his socialism.
(d) Whether she can grade him on his professionalism.
14. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) A teacher at the school.
(b) The school superintendant.
(c) The father of a student in Nora's class.
(d) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
15. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) Hagstrom High School
(b) Fitzgerald High School
(c) George Mason High School
(d) Lincoln High School
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
2. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
3. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
4. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
5. What does Nora state about books in general?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)