|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hugo Black?
(a) A Supreme Court Justice
(b) A school janitor.
(c) A student in Maggie's class.
(d) A participant in the debate.
2. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) George Mason High School
(b) Fitzgerald High School
(c) Lincoln High School
(d) Hagstrom High School
3. Who is Gordon McLean?
(a) The chairman of the P.T.A.
(b) An exchange student from Scotland.
(c) A student in Nora's class.
(d) A student who works on the school newspaper.
4. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is intelligent.
(b) Whether he is lost.
(c) Whether he is shy.
(d) Whether he is a bully.
5. According to Griswold, who has the right to participate in the activities of pubic school systems?
(a) Anyone with a driver's licence.
(b) Members of the Parent Teacher Association.
(d) Any taxpayer.
6. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
(a) A dog picking a bone.
(b) A man selecting a neck tie.
(c) A woman buying lipstick.
(d) A child choosing crayons.
7. What does Mr. Moore attempt to explain about the racist references in the novel?
(a) That the references are actually disapproving of racist attitudes.
(b) That the references really aren't that offensive.
(c) That the references are all in Mr. McLean's imagination.
(d) That the references are simply a sign of the times.
8. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A private school for girls.
(c) The town library.
(d) A pre-school.
9. What is Matthew Griswold's concern about freedom?
(a) That freedom is less individualized.
(b) That freedom is disappearing.
(c) That freedom is undervalued.
(d) That freedom is localized.
10. What is Barney's full first name?
11. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
(a) He would tear out the pages with offensive content.
(b) He would ask Mrs. Salter to remove them from the library.
(c) He would encourage students to read them.
(d) He would let the P.T.A. decide what to do.
12. What does Barney ask Kate to make her call him crude before walking away?
(a) Barney suggests Kate drop the class.
(b) Barney suggests Kate doesn't know how to read.
(c) Barney suggests the books be burned.
(d) Barney suggests the book should be more sexist.
13. Who does Carl suggest should be photographed to balance out the wall of photos?
(a) The teaching staff.
(b) The kitchen and custodial staff.
(d) The students.
14. Which of the following books is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) Animal Farm.
15. What is supposed to happen when complaints are made about books in the school library?
(a) The books should be banned immediately.
(b) The complaints should be submitted to the school board.
(c) A book review procedure should take place.
(d) The complaints should be ignored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Gordon take after reading Huckleberry Finn?
2. What book by Alexis de Tocqueville does Nora introduce in her class?
3. Who is Mrs. Salters?
4. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
5. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)