|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Nora passes Gordon in the hall, what does he proclaim?
(a) That the school football team just won a game.
(b) That Nora's job is in trouble.
(c) That Gordon will be dropping her class.
(d) That Huckleberry Finn is dead.
2. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
(a) Take his son home.
(b) Fill out a complaint form.
(c) Contact the school board.
(d) Leave his telephone number.
3. What is Barney's full first name?
4. Why does Griswold approve of censorship?
(a) Because ignorance is bliss.
(b) Because Griswold is easily offended.
(c) Because young minds should be protected from pollution.
(d) Because Griswold realizes modern children are corrupt.
5. What position does Deidre Fitzgerald hold at the school?
(b) Art teacher.
(c) Math teacher.
6. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
7. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(a) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
8. What does Mr. Moore attempt to explain about the racist references in the novel?
(a) That the references are all in Mr. McLean's imagination.
(b) That the references are simply a sign of the times.
(c) That the references are actually disapproving of racist attitudes.
(d) That the references really aren't that offensive.
9. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) The town library.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) A pre-school.
(d) A private school for girls.
10. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
(a) Students never returned books by their due dates.
(b) There were not enough books in the library.
(c) Mrs. Salter became tired of explaining why certain books were no longer unavailable.
(d) Mrs. Salter was told to remove books from the library on a daily basis.
11. Who is Barney named after?
(a) A famous author.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) A comic strip character.
12. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The portrayal of women in the novel.
(b) The novel's sexual content.
(c) The novel's stereotypical characters.
(d) The use of the word "nigger" in the novel.
13. What did Mrs. Salter do after fighting with Mr. Moore about what was happening in the library?
(a) Mrs. Salter took an extended vacation.
(b) Mrs. Salter quit her job.
(c) Mrs. Salter threw books at Mr. Moore.
(d) Mrs. Salter burned a pile of books.
14. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The novel is misunderstood.
(b) The novel is too difficult to understand.
(c) The novel is racist and sexist.
(d) The novel is Kate's favorite.
15. How does Barney say Kate gets her fun?
(a) By gossiping about people.
(b) By jumping on a bandwagon.
(c) By seeing people offended.
(d) By sticking pins into people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
2. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
3. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
4. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
5. What does Nora anticipate will happen at the school over the "Huckleberry Finn" issue?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)