|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of behavior does Griswold believe freedom to be?
(a) A devious behavior.
(b) A social behavior.
(c) A natural behavior.
(d) A learned behavior.
2. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) A pre-school.
(b) A private school for girls.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) The town library.
3. What offends Gordon about the novel, Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The use of the word "nigger" in the novel.
(b) The novel's stereotypical characters.
(c) The novel's sexual content.
(d) The portrayal of women in the novel.
4. What did the school founder George Mason claim?
(a) That freedom of the press was vital.
(b) That freedom of speech is a luxury.
(c) That children should be seen and not heard.
(d) That money makes the world go 'round.
5. Who is Kate Stevens?
(a) A student teacher.
(b) A student at the school.
(c) Barney's sister.
(d) The school librarian.
6. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Gordon McLean.
(b) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(c) Barney Roth.
(d) Nora Baines.
7. Who is Hugo Black?
(a) A Supreme Court Justice
(b) A participant in the debate.
(c) A student in Maggie's class.
(d) A school janitor.
8. Who will represent The Citizen's League for the Preservation of American Values in the debate?
(a) Principal Moore.
(b) Matthew Griswold.
(c) Carl McLean.
(d) The Mayor.
9. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
(a) Modern kids are lack morals.
(b) You need knowledge of religious concepts to get into college.
(c) Parents don't have time to teach religion.
(d) Schools are a place of learning.
10. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
(a) Save Our Children from Austen, Shakespeare & Hemmingway.
(b) Save Our Children from Authors, Satirists & Humorists.
(c) Save Our Children from Atheist Secular Humanism.
(d) Save Our Children from American School Heretics.
11. Who bounces a book off of Kate's head?
(a) Principal Moore.
12. What is the topic of the debate Maggie invites Nora and her class to attend?
(a) Constitutional rights.
(c) Individual freedoms.
(d) Freedom of the press.
13. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
14. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
(a) A couple of them are strangely dressed.
(b) Many of them have passed away.
(c) Some of them are very distinguished looking.
(d) Very few of them are black.
15. At which university was the speaker Matthew Griswold referred to in his story booed?
Short Answer Questions
1. In his meeting with Nora, what does Principal Moore say causes teacher burnout?
2. What did Principal Moore fail to have Mr. McLean do?
3. What does Nora wish to speak to Deidre about when she enters the library?
4. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
5. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)