|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nora Bates make her class do in addition to studying their textbooks?
(a) Keep a journal.
(b) Interview local historians.
(c) Read novels.
(d) Watch the evening news.
2. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
(a) To borrow a copy from another school.
(b) An audio version.
(c) Her own private copy.
(d) To buy another copy.
3. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is intelligent.
(b) Whether he is shy.
(c) Whether he is lost.
(d) Whether he is a bully.
4. Who is Hugo Black?
(a) A school janitor.
(b) A participant in the debate.
(c) A student in Maggie's class.
(d) A Supreme Court Justice
5. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Maggie Crowley.
(b) Principal Moore.
(c) Nora Baines.
(d) Carl McLean.
6. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(b) "Where is Freedom?"
(c) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
(d) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
7. What is Kate's opinion of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) The novel is racist and sexist.
(b) The novel is Kate's favorite.
(c) The novel is misunderstood.
(d) The novel is too difficult to understand.
8. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(b) To throw her a party.
(c) To convince her to return to the school.
(d) To get her advice on an essay.
9. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
(a) Save Our Children from Austen, Shakespeare & Hemmingway.
(b) Save Our Children from American School Heretics.
(c) Save Our Children from Authors, Satirists & Humorists.
(d) Save Our Children from Atheist Secular Humanism.
10. Who is Carl McLean?
(a) Gordon's father.
(b) A student in Nora's class.
(c) The school superintendant.
(d) The leader of the Parent Teacher Association.
11. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
(a) Mrs. Salter was offered a better position elsewhere.
(b) Mr. Moore didn't like Mrs. Salter.
(c) Mrs. Salter had fallen ill.
(d) Mrs. Salter took early retirement.
12. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
(a) As deformities of language.
(b) As perfectly acceptable words.
(c) As examples of the flexibility of language.
(d) As slang in the age of political correctness.
13. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(b) Barney Roth.
(c) Gordon McLean.
(d) Nora Baines.
14. What, according to Dickenson, is the best way to fight a lie?
(a) With righteous indignation.
(b) By telling another lie.
(c) By showing the truth simultaneously.
(d) With legal action.
15. What is the name of the class Maggie Crowley teaches?
(a) American Problems.
(b) American Geography.
(c) American Point of View.
(d) American Debates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
2. What does Nora ask Matthew Griswold?
3. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
4. Who is Gordon McLean?
5. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)