|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
(a) Some of them are very distinguished looking.
(b) A couple of them are strangely dressed.
(c) Very few of them are black.
(d) Many of them have passed away.
2. What does Mr. Moore consider searching the school for before Mr. McLean arrives?
(a) Deirdre, so she can join the meeting.
(b) A more comfortable chair for his office.
(c) A copy of "Huckleberry Finn".
(d) An image of Martin Luther King.
3. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
(a) He reads passages from the novel.
(b) He tears pages out of a copy of the novel.
(c) He asks that Nora join the meeting.
(d) He stares in surprise at the portraits on the wall.
4. How does Maggie hope to get her students to learn to think for themselves?
(a) By having them hear educated people speak on all topics.
(b) By letting them set the curriculum for the class.
(c) By making them read newspapers daily.
(d) By assigning lots of homework.
5. What does Mr. Moore believe will happen in Nora's class?
(a) The black students will be excused from the class.
(b) The book will be censored of all offensive content.
(c) The book will no longer be taught.
(d) The book will be taught in the context of anti-racism.
6. What is the topic of the book Barney went to the library to find?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Banned books.
(c) Human rights.
(d) Newspaper publishing,
7. At Deidre's former place of employment, who was responsible for choosing the books?
(b) The mayor.
(c) The headmistress.
(d) A committee of local citizens.
8. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(b) To convince her to return to the school.
(c) To throw her a party.
(d) To get her advice on an essay.
9. Which of the following describes Deidre Fitzgerald?
(a) A tall, slender woman with a kind voice.
(b) A petite, fashionable woman.
(c) A short, heavy-set woman with glasses.
(d) An elderly woman with short hair.
10. What does Nora suggest the students use instead of "he" or "she" to refer to authors?
(b) "The composers"
(c) "The novelists."
(d) The wordsmiths."
11. Where is the book that Barney is seeking?
(a) Another sudent has borrowed the book.
(b) The book has been "removed".
(c) Nora has borrowed the book.
(d) The book has been replaced.
12. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Principal Moore.
(b) Maggie Crowley.
(c) Nora Baines.
(d) Carl McLean.
13. What scenario does Griswald use to question the definition of freedom?
(a) A man selecting a neck tie.
(b) A child choosing crayons.
(c) A dog picking a bone.
(d) A woman buying lipstick.
14. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) A private school for girls.
(b) The town library.
(c) A pre-school.
(d) A bookstore.
15. As Nora passes Gordon in the hall, what does he proclaim?
(a) That Huckleberry Finn is dead.
(b) That the school football team just won a game.
(c) That Nora's job is in trouble.
(d) That Gordon will be dropping her class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point does Griswold make about the Supreme Court upholding the separation of Church and state?
2. What does the acronym SOCASH stand for?
3. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
4. How does Nora react to the complaint over Huckleberry Finn?
5. Who is Barney named after?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)