|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
2. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) Fitzgerald High School
(b) George Mason High School
(c) Hagstrom High School
(d) Lincoln High School
3. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To get her advice on an essay.
(b) To throw her a party.
(c) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(d) To convince her to return to the school.
4. How did Kate learn about what happened to Mrs. Salters?
(a) From Mrs. Baines.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From the local newspaper.
(d) From Principal Moore.
5. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(a) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
6. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
(a) Authors are free to write whatever they want to.
(b) Authors often use pseudonyms.
(c) Authors don't make much money.
(d) Authors are not all male.
7. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
(a) Parents don't have time to teach religion.
(b) Modern kids are lack morals.
(c) You need knowledge of religious concepts to get into college.
(d) Schools are a place of learning.
8. In Matthew's story, what was the topic of the speaker's speech?
(a) The miracles of the mind.
(b) The marvels of the body.
(c) The essence of the soul.
(d) The mysteries of the universe.
9. Who is Mrs. Salters?
(a) The school's former principal.
(b) The school's former history teacher.
(c) The school's former librarian.
(d) The school's former music teacher.
10. In Chapter 7, what is said to be the enemy of true freedom?
11. Who is Kate Stevens?
(a) A student teacher.
(b) The school librarian.
(c) Barney's sister.
(d) A student at the school.
12. What does Nora state about books in general?
(a) That books are a valuable teaching tool.
(b) That books are easily misunderstood.
(c) That books aren't meant to be taken personally.
(d) That books all offend one person or another.
13. What is the topic of the debate Maggie invites Nora and her class to attend?
(a) Individual freedoms.
(c) Freedom of the press.
(d) Constitutional rights.
14. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is lost.
(b) Whether he is shy.
(c) Whether he is intelligent.
(d) Whether he is a bully.
15. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
(a) Many of them have passed away.
(b) Very few of them are black.
(c) Some of them are very distinguished looking.
(d) A couple of them are strangely dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which situation does Deirdre state that she is terrifying?
2. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
3. When he can't find the book that he wants, what does Deirdre offer Barney?
4. What book by Alexis de Tocqueville does Nora introduce in her class?
5. According to Nora, how did Principal Moore deal with controversial books?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)