|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following books is mentioned as having been attacked in the past?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Animal Farm.
(c) The Catcher in the Rye.
(d) Oliver Twist.
2. Who is Barney named after?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A comic strip character.
(c) His uncle.
(d) A famous author.
3. How does Barney say Kate gets her fun?
(a) By sticking pins into people.
(b) By gossiping about people.
(c) By jumping on a bandwagon.
(d) By seeing people offended.
4. Who is Kent Dickenson?
(a) A teacher at the school.
(b) The debater from The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The school superintendant.
(d) The father of a student in Nora's class.
5. Where did Deirdre work previous to joining George Mason High School?
(a) The town library.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) A pre-school.
(d) A private school for girls.
6. Where do Deirdre and Nora discuss the truth behind what happened to Mrs. Salter?
(a) At a fast food joint.
(b) In the teachers' lounge.
(c) In the school library.
(d) At a coffeeshop.
7. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(b) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
(c) "Where is Freedom?"
(d) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
8. Where is the book that Barney is seeking?
(a) The book has been "removed".
(b) The book has been replaced.
(c) Another sudent has borrowed the book.
(d) Nora has borrowed the book.
9. In 1919, for what crime were who flew red flags, arrested?
(b) Bad taste.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
10. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
(a) As slang in the age of political correctness.
(b) As perfectly acceptable words.
(c) As examples of the flexibility of language.
(d) As deformities of language.
11. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Nora Baines.
(b) Carl McLean.
(c) Maggie Crowley.
(d) Principal Moore.
12. What does Deirdre wonder about Barney as she watches him look through the card catalog?
(a) Whether he is intelligent.
(b) Whether he is a bully.
(c) Whether he is lost.
(d) Whether he is shy.
13. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) Fitzgerald High School
(b) Lincoln High School
(c) Hagstrom High School
(d) George Mason High School
14. Who is Gordon McLean?
(a) A student in Nora's class.
(b) The chairman of the P.T.A.
(c) An exchange student from Scotland.
(d) A student who works on the school newspaper.
15. What does Carl McLean demand?
(a) That the library be closed.
(b) That his son be transferred to another school.
(c) That the book be removed from the school.
(d) The Nora be fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora state about books in general?
2. What word does Kate use to describe sexism and racism?
3. In a class discussion, what does Kate note about authors?
4. What does Nora suggest the students use instead of "he" or "she" to refer to authors?
5. What does Mr. Moore notice about the guest speakers whose photos hang on his wall?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)