|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hugo Black?
(a) A school janitor.
(b) A Supreme Court Justice
(c) A student in Maggie's class.
(d) A participant in the debate.
2. How does Nora describe the words like "clergyperson" and "policeperson"?
(a) As examples of the flexibility of language.
(b) As deformities of language.
(c) As slang in the age of political correctness.
(d) As perfectly acceptable words.
3. What action does Gordon take after reading Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Gordon burns the book.
(b) Gordon drops out of Nora's class.
(c) Gordon asks his father to file a complaint.
(d) Gordon starts and argument with Nora.
4. Deidre realizes she is late for a meeting with whom?
(a) Carl McLean.
(b) Nora Baines.
(c) Principal Moore.
(d) Maggie Crowley.
5. Who is Carl McLean?
(a) The school superintendant.
(b) Gordon's father.
(c) The leader of the Parent Teacher Association.
(d) A student in Nora's class.
6. For what purpose does Barney suggest finding Mrs. Salter?
(a) To throw her a party.
(b) To interview her for the school newspaper.
(c) To convince her to return to the school.
(d) To get her advice on an essay.
7. What is the topic of the debate Maggie invites Nora and her class to attend?
(a) Freedom of the press.
(c) Individual freedoms.
(d) Constitutional rights.
8. What book by Alexis de Tocqueville does Nora introduce in her class?
(a) Discovering America.
(b) Bonjour, America.
(c) America and her People.
(d) Democracy in America.
9. What would be Griswold's preferred title for the debate?
(a) "Where is Freedom?"
(b) "Is America Free for All, or Just for Few?"
(c) "Is False Freedom Giving True Freedom a Bad Name?"
(d) "Is Undervaluing Freedom Ruining America?"
10. Why does Griswold think schools should introduce religious concepts?
(a) Parents don't have time to teach religion.
(b) You need knowledge of religious concepts to get into college.
(c) Modern kids are lack morals.
(d) Schools are a place of learning.
11. What is the title of the debate?
(a) "Is Individual Freedom Getting out of Hand?"
(b) "Is America really Free?"
(c) "Is Individual Freedom Worth Fighting For?"
(d) "Is America out of Hand?"
12. Who does Principal Moore request to come to see him first thing in the morning?
(a) Barney Roth.
(b) Deirdre Fitzgerald.
(c) Gordon McLean.
(d) Nora Baines.
13. What does Luke compare his mother to in an effort to convey the lack of freedom in his life?
(a) A warden.
(b) A fairy tale step-mother.
(c) A school principal.
(d) A police officer.
14. What is the name of the school the students attend?
(a) Fitzgerald High School
(b) Lincoln High School
(c) George Mason High School
(d) Hagstrom High School
15. What reason does Nora give for Mrs. Salter's departure?
(a) Mr. Moore didn't like Mrs. Salter.
(b) Mrs. Salter had fallen ill.
(c) Mrs. Salter took early retirement.
(d) Mrs. Salter was offered a better position elsewhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kent Dickenson?
2. What does Mr. McLean do when he arrives for his meeting with Mr. Moore?
3. Why did Mrs. Salter become frustrated by her job?
4. What does Nora say Tocqueville felt Americans truly ruled?
5. What does Barney ask Kate to make her call him crude before walking away?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)