* The school year is beginning at George Mason High School.
* Mrs. Salters, the school librarian, has quit her job.
* The new school librarian is Deidre Fitzgerald , a tall, slender woman with a kind voice.
* The history teacher, Nora Baines, is introduced.
* Nora tells Deirdre about problems with assaults on books that occurred in the previous year.
* It is made clear that Mrs. Salter quit over the "resolution" of the complaints against the books.
* There are outbursts from Kate in Nora's history class on the subjects of sexism and racism.
* Nora introduces the book "Democracy in America" to the class.
* Barney notes that those who are alone in their thinking are often treated like criminals.
* When asked about Mrs. Salter's departure, Nora tells the class that she was offered a better position elsewhere.
* Gordon McLean tells a fellow student, Scott Berman, that he has filed a...
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)