|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Henrietta's captain's name?
2. What is the Japanese currency Passepartout receives for his clothes?
3. How many hours does the train leave behind schedule?
4. Where does the train stop after the attack?
5. Where do Fogg's friends plan to cash his check the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Fogg's friends at the Reform Club plan to do if he does not show up on time? What do they believe Fogg may do?
2. Why does Fogg return quietly in the night rather than going to the Reform Club to face those who have wagered against him?
3. In Chapter 26, how long does Fogg have to reach New York? Does Jules Verne give any hints to the reader that Fogg may not make his destination in time?
4. Who approaches Fogg with a solution for leaving Fort Kearney? Why is this significant?
5. What happens to Fogg as soon as he is back on British soil in Liverpool? How does he feel about this challenge?
6. Why do Passepartout and Fix engage Fogg in a game of whist on the train in America?
7. Why is the train crossing America stopped a second time? What decision is made? What does this mean for Fogg?
8. What does Passepartout share with Fogg and Aouda about his experience in the tavern? How does Fogg respond to Passepartout's story?
9. Fogg does an extremely good job solving the travel obstacles throughout his journey. How does he solve the issue of missing the steamer in New York?
10. How does Fogg react to the train passenger's disappearance? What does this say about the changes in his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Fix and Fogg evolve throughout the story? What does this mean for each character?
Essay Topic 2
Jules Verne paints a specific picture of the Old West in America, just as he did for India, China, and Japan. What impression does the reader get of his feelings toward America? How does Jules Verne express his opinions?
Essay Topic 3
Jules Verne uses a lot of symbolism in the story to create characters and compare situations between characters to larger issues. During the trip around the world, what does the developing relationship between Fogg and Aouda symbolize? What broader relationship does it parallel?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)