|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taken prisoner by the Indians?
2. In what city does Fogg and his party arrive in America?
3. Who does Passepartout thrash on deck of the steamer?
4. What time does Fogg arrive in London?
5. When the train does not stop as planned, where do Fogg and Colonel Proctor handle their business together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the train crossing America stopped a second time? What decision is made? What does this mean for Fogg?
2. Why do Passepartout and Fix engage Fogg in a game of whist on the train in America?
3. What do Fogg's friends at the Reform Club plan to do if he does not show up on time? What do they believe Fogg may do?
4. What event disrupts both Fogg and Colonel Proctor's business and Fogg's journey? What happens as a result?
5. Much to the readers surprise, at the end of Chapter 36, Fogg enters the Reform Club salon, winning the wager. How was this possible?
6. In Chapter 26, how long does Fogg have to reach New York? Does Jules Verne give any hints to the reader that Fogg may not make his destination in time?
7. What does Passepartout share with Fogg and Aouda about his experience in the tavern? How does Fogg respond to Passepartout's story?
8. How does the relationship between Passepartout and Fix change in America?
9. What does Passepartout learn about polygamy, and how does he feel about Mormon women?
10. Describe the rest of Fogg's journey across America in Chapter 31. Where do he and his traveling party go? What happens when they reach New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Fix and Fogg evolve throughout the story? What does this mean for each character?
Essay Topic 2
What reason does Fix give Passepartout aboard the General Grant for now supporting Fogg's journey? Why is it important to Fix that Fogg complete his journey? What is Passepartout's reaction? Should he go to Fogg? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jules Verne paints a specific picture of the Old West in America, just as he did for India, China, and Japan. What impression does the reader get of his feelings toward America? How does Jules Verne express his opinions?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)