|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to see why the train has stopped a second time?
2. Who goes to rescue the passengers taken prisoner by the Indians?
3. How does Fogg and his party get to London?
4. What does Detective Fix say to Fogg once they are on British soil?
5. What interrupts Fogg and Colonel Proctor's attempt to handle their differences on the train across America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who approaches Fogg with a solution for leaving Fort Kearney? Why is this significant?
2. Describe the rest of Fogg's journey across America in Chapter 31. Where do he and his traveling party go? What happens when they reach New York?
3. What does Passepartout share with Fogg and Aouda about his experience in the tavern? How does Fogg respond to Passepartout's story?
4. How are Fogg, Aouda, Fix, Colonel Proctor, and Passepartout effected by the Sioux Indian attack on the train?
5. What happens to Fogg as soon as he is back on British soil in Liverpool? How does he feel about this challenge?
6. Much to the readers surprise, at the end of Chapter 36, Fogg enters the Reform Club salon, winning the wager. How was this possible?
7. How does the relationship between Passepartout and Fix change in America?
8. Why is the train crossing America stopped a second time? What decision is made? What does this mean for Fogg?
9. In Chapter 26, how long does Fogg have to reach New York? Does Jules Verne give any hints to the reader that Fogg may not make his destination in time?
10. Fix tries hard to avoid Passepartout aboard the General Grant. Why? What happens when Fix does bump into Passepartout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the train station in Bombay, Fogg has an interesting exchange with the train station landlord. How does his interaction with the train station landlord signify Fogg's feelings, openness, and approach to the foreign cities he is visiting?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters does Jules Verne use to contrast Phileas Fogg's characteristics? What characteristics do those characters have that Fogg does not?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 36 is a confusing chapter for the reader. The reader has believed up to this point that Fogg already lost his wager, but now he appears just seconds before the time expires and wins his wager. What techniques does Jules Verne use to reveal this surprise to the reader?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)