|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Fogg offer the previous captain for his ship?
2. Where will the unusual desert vehicle lent to Fogg and his party in America take them?
3. What does Fogg do once released from his cell?
4. When did Fogg make it half way around the world?
5. Who is taken prisoner by the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Passepartout and Fix engage Fogg in a game of whist on the train in America?
2. How is it possible Fogg and Passepartout arrived back in London with 24 hours to spare and neither of them knew it? Did Jules Verne give any indication this could happen?
3. What does Passepartout share with Fogg and Aouda about his experience in the tavern? How does Fogg respond to Passepartout's story?
4. What does the culmination of the relationship between Aouda and Fogg represent?
5. How does Fogg react when he sees Colonel Stamp Proctor on the train in America?
6. What problems do Fogg's actions aboard the Henrietta cause? What is Fogg's solution?
7. How does Passepartout come to rejoin Fogg and Aouda?
8. Fogg does an extremely good job solving the travel obstacles throughout his journey. How does he solve the issue of missing the steamer in New York?
9. How does the relationship between Passepartout and Fix change in America?
10. Describe the rest of Fogg's journey across America in Chapter 31. Where do he and his traveling party go? What happens when they reach New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We see Fogg undergo a change in character through out the story. What is the turning point in his transformation? Why do you think he's made this change? How does this affect the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Jules Verne introduces a number of critical characters that question the motives and actions of the main characters. Who are these characters and where do they appear in the story? Which of the main characters are questioned and to what end?
Essay Topic 3
How is Passepartout's experience in the Bombay temple significant for each of the main characters - Passepartout, Fogg, and Fix? In regards to local custom, how are Fogg's and Passepartout's experiences in Bombay similar?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)