|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meridian did Fogg cross at the half way point?
2. How does Passepartout answer when asked if he and Detective Fix are friends?
3. To what street do Fogg, Aouda, and Fix walk after leaving the hotel?
4. Why do Fix and Passepartout agree to be civil?
5. What does Passepartout do with the remaining money from his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rest of Fogg's journey across America in Chapter 31. Where do he and his traveling party go? What happens when they reach New York?
2. How does Passepartout come to rejoin Fogg and Aouda?
3. How is it possible Fogg and Passepartout arrived back in London with 24 hours to spare and neither of them knew it? Did Jules Verne give any indication this could happen?
4. Why is the train crossing America stopped a second time? What decision is made? What does this mean for Fogg?
5. What do we see happening to Fogg's character and appearances in Chapter 32? How has he changed throughout the book so far?
6. When Fix sees Fogg and Aouda in San Francisco, he acts as though he has not seen them since Yokohama. Why? How does he resolve this issue?
7. What happens to Fogg as soon as he is back on British soil in Liverpool? How does he feel about this challenge?
8. What does Passepartout learn about polygamy, and how does he feel about Mormon women?
9. What event disrupts both Fogg and Colonel Proctor's business and Fogg's journey? What happens as a result?
10. What does Passepartout share with Fogg and Aouda about his experience in the tavern? How does Fogg respond to Passepartout's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jules Verne paints a specific picture of the Old West in America, just as he did for India, China, and Japan. What impression does the reader get of his feelings toward America? How does Jules Verne express his opinions?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of foreshadowing in this book. Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in literature. Name at least two instances of foreshadowing, how the technique was used in that situation, and what event it foreshadowed.
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Fix and Fogg evolve throughout the story? What does this mean for each character?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)