|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ship dock on the way to Hong Kong?
2. Who does Passepartout suspect Fix represents?
3. Where does Detective Fix wait for Fogg's arrival on the ship the Mongolia?
4. What bank does Fogg find out has been robbed?
5. When must Fogg be back in order to win the wager?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstance brings Phileas Fogg and Jean Passepartout together?
2. What does Aouda discover about her cousin in Hong Kong? What does this mean for Fogg and his traveling party?
3. Passepartout's aggravation with delays in his master's journey have continued to build throughout the story. How does Passepartout react on the Rangoon, and how are his reactions different than Fogg's? Why is this significant?
4. How does Fogg react to Aouda's growing affections toward him? Why?
5. Why are Fogg and his traveling party stopped in Calcutta by a policeman? How does Fogg handle the situation? What doesn't the party know about this misfortune?
6. Why does Detective Fix assist Passepartout with his errands?
7. What scene do Fogg, Passepartout, and Sir Francis come upon in the jungle? Why is it significant?
8. In Chapter 22, the reader discovers what has become of Passepartout. How does Passepartout make it back to the Carnatic? How does he feel about his experience?
9. Who is Sir Francis Cromarty, and how does he feel about Fogg?
10. What ways do Fogg, Sir Francis, Passepartout, and their Parsee guide attempt to rescue Aouda? Who is able to successfully rescue her and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passepartout is extremely loyal to Fogg and does not believe that Fogg is the bank robber Detective Fix claims him to be. However, Passepartout does not bring Fix's identity or his theory to Fogg's attention. Why? Does this go with or against what we know of Passepartout's nature? How would the story be different if Passepartout had shared this information with Fogg?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jules Verne build on the mystery and suspense between Passepartout and Fix? What techniques does Verne use? How is it that Fogg remains oblivious to the tension building between the men during the journey?
Essay Topic 3
How is Passepartout's experience in the Bombay temple significant for each of the main characters - Passepartout, Fogg, and Fix? In regards to local custom, how are Fogg's and Passepartout's experiences in Bombay similar?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)