|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Detective Fix issue a warrant for Fogg's arrest?
2. From whom does Detective Fix decide to get more information?
3. What train station do Fogg and Passepartout go to in order to leave London?
4. How many sails are left up on the Tankadere to catch the wind?
5. Who approaches Fogg with a ship he can use to continue his journey and leave Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Suez, Detective Fix and the British Consul disagree about something. What do they disagree about and why?
2. Why does Fix repeatedly hope for Fogg's journey to be delayed? How does he attempt to delay them?
3. What reactions does Fogg's journey spark in people around London?
4. What mix of emotions does Passepartout experience when he reaches Yokohama?
5. Who does Passepartout begin to suspect Fix represents? Why?
6. Passepartout's aggravation with delays in his master's journey have continued to build throughout the story. How does Passepartout react on the Rangoon, and how are his reactions different than Fogg's? Why is this significant?
7. Fix has boarded the Rangoon along with Fogg and his party. Why does Fix seek out Passepartout on board, and how does Passepartout react? Why?
8. What circumstance brings Phileas Fogg and Jean Passepartout together?
9. What scene do Fogg, Passepartout, and Sir Francis come upon in the jungle? Why is it significant?
10. What does Passepartout learn when he goes to purchase tickets for the Carnatic? What happens to Passepartout, and how does this impact the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passepartout is extremely loyal to Fogg and does not believe that Fogg is the bank robber Detective Fix claims him to be. However, Passepartout does not bring Fix's identity or his theory to Fogg's attention. Why? Does this go with or against what we know of Passepartout's nature? How would the story be different if Passepartout had shared this information with Fogg?
Essay Topic 2
Jules Verne creates an interesting situation for Fogg and Fix aboard the Tankadere during the typhoon. Describe the situation from three points of view: Fix's, Fogg's, and the reader's. How is the situation different for each?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Fix and Fogg evolve throughout the story? What does this mean for each character?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)