|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Fogg enjoy playing at the Reform Club?
2. What does Passepartout fail to remove when entering the Indian temple?
3. Who assists Passepartout in running errands before the Mongolia leaves port?
4. What is the name of the Captain's ship Fogg and his party take from Hong Kong?
5. What does Detective Fix do when he finds the warrant has not arrived from London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fix respond to Fogg's kindness aboard the Tankadere? What is Fogg's response? Based on what you know of each character, are their responses a surprise?
2. What mix of emotions does Passepartout experience when he reaches Yokohama?
3. What does Passepartout learn when he goes to purchase tickets for the Carnatic? What happens to Passepartout, and how does this impact the journey?
4. What ways do Fogg, Sir Francis, Passepartout, and their Parsee guide attempt to rescue Aouda? Who is able to successfully rescue her and why?
5. Who is Sir Francis Cromarty, and how does he feel about Fogg?
6. How does Fogg react when he is told a typhoon is building in the China Sea? How does this speak to his character?
7. In Suez, Detective Fix and the British Consul disagree about something. What do they disagree about and why?
8. What scene do Fogg, Passepartout, and Sir Francis come upon in the jungle? Why is it significant?
9. What does Detective Fix divulge to Passepartout in the tavern? What does he do to Passepartout? Why?
10. What does Fogg discover over breakfast at the Reform Club, and how does this spark his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jules Verne uses a lot of symbolism in the story to create characters and compare situations between characters to larger issues. During the trip around the world, what does the developing relationship between Fogg and Aouda symbolize? What broader relationship does it parallel?
Essay Topic 2
Jules Verne paints a specific picture of the Old West in America, just as he did for India, China, and Japan. What impression does the reader get of his feelings toward America? How does Jules Verne express his opinions?
Essay Topic 3
We see Fogg undergo a change in character through out the story. What is the turning point in his transformation? Why do you think he's made this change? How does this affect the story line?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)