|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Arnold beat in the 1970 NABBA Mr. Universe contest in London?
2. If you sit for two minutes between each accelerated training set, what happens?
3. What type of attitude is critical to success in bodybuilding?
4. What is one important factor that should be considered when choosing a gym for progressive resistance weight training?
5. What is the worst mistake an individual can make with regard to progressive resistance weight training?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter Seven, describe the benefits received by Arnold and Joe Weider after Arnold comes to America under Weider's sponsorship.
2. What are the three pairs of workout days used with accelerated progressive resistance weight training?
3. Describe two considerations when choosing the amount of weight with which to train in accelerated progressive resistance weight training.
4. In Part Two, Chapter One, what are improvements to the body gained by weight resistance training?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Five, what factors does Arnold say are influencing the rapid evolution of bodybuilding?
6. After his year in America, how has Arnold's role in bodybuilding shifted?
7. What are four of the basic ten progressive resistance weight training exercises?
8. What two purposes are served by chin-ups behind the neck and rowing with the bar?
9. What are two general health improvements gained by bodybuilding?
10. In Part Two, Chapter Two, describe two characteristics of freehand exercises.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the entire book, analyze the reasons that you think motivated Arnold to write this book. Discuss all aspects: personal, familial, professional, and entrepreneurial. Cite examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Arnold carefully lays out a preparation program and the elements of a three-day-a-week progressive resistance weight training program.
What is the primary purpose of this weight training program? In what ways do the exercises in this program build a foundation for all other bodybuilding initiatives?
Of all the preparation considerations Arnold describes, which do you think is the most important? State your reasons, citing examples of the book where you feel they are necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Arnold meets Franco Columbu during a weight lifting contest in Munich, and is impressed with his strength. They begin working out together.
Arnold and Franco are an unlikely pair physically. What traits of Franco's inspire Arnold? For what reasons does Arnold decide to make Franco his training partner? From Arnold's remarks and pictures in the books, was this a productive relationship for both?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)