|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can limitations in body type be overcome with respect to bodybuilding?
2. What type of attitude is critical to success in bodybuilding?
3. What exercise with weights develops the chest muscles?
4. What health improvement occurs with a bodybuilding exercise program?
5. In California, what type of lessons does Arnold take to improve his posing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter Two, describe two characteristics of freehand exercises.
2. After his year in America, how has Arnold's role in bodybuilding shifted?
3. In weightlifting, what process takes forty-eight hours to accomplish?
4. In what two contests does Arnold compete in one night in New York?
5. What two purposes are served by chin-ups behind the neck and rowing with the bar?
6. In Part Two, Chapter Five, what factors does Arnold say are influencing the rapid evolution of bodybuilding?
7. What is the outcome of the Mr. World contest?
8. What muscles are developed by the "Dips between Chairs" exercise in freehand training?
9. What muscle groups are worked on Mondays and Thursdays in a weight training program?
10. What are two activities that you should perform prior to a weightlifting workout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Arnold's compulsory year of Austrian Army service, he considers the situation and then takes a risk to leave the base without permission in order to compete in the Mr. Europe Junior bodybuilding competition.
What factors from Arnold's upbringing and passion for bodybuilding do you think motivate Arnold to take this risk?
Why do you think that Arnold's winning trophy is sufficient to help him endure the seven days of confinement, and what does this say to you about Arnold's internal fortitude?
Essay Topic 2
By reading magazines, Arnold learns about notable bodybuilders. He especially idolizes Reg Park.
Describe the reasons why Reg initially appeals to Arnold. What is it about Reg that motivates Arnold to escalate his workouts to six times a week?
When Arnold finally meets Reg in 1967, why do you think he acts nervous and embarrassed? Why doesn't that seem to be a problem for Reg?
Essay Topic 3
Arnold devotes several pages in the book to the importance of nutritional and balanced eating in order to develop muscles.
Arnold lists four basic food groups in his book, published in 1977. Research the food groups published this year by the U.S. government, and then compare and contrast the differences in the two philosophies.
What is your opinion of Arnold's recommendations given the year in which he publishes them and the fact that that they are based on personal experience?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)