|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Cavendish?
2. What do the words around the hero's image describe at the end of the novel?
3. What book is the hero shown when he discovers the secret room.
4. How does Arkham try to protect himself from perceived evil?
5. How does Amadeus stop the noise that he hears coming from an empty room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when the villain decides whether the hero lives or dies?
2. Who is the little girl at the end of the novel and why are her panels important?
3. Briefly discuss Amadeus' death.
4. What effect has the secret room had on Cavendish and why?
5. What is ironic about Cavendish calling the hero a "mommy's boy"?
6. Explain why Cavendish gets involved in crossing the lives of Arkham and the hero.
7. Where does the blood trail lead and what does the hero realize at the end of it?
8. Why does Arkham write his journal? What does the location where he stores it say about him?
9. How does Arkham get the laughing he hears from an empty room to stop. Why does this work?
10. Why do colleagues offer specific praise to Amadeus when he opens his asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description for the Joker. How does the Joker in the novel differ from the writer's original concept of him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Relate the differences and similarities specifically to this graphic novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Amadeus Arkham. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)