|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amadeus get the building that will later be used as a hospital?
2. Who is the psychotherapist at the asylum?
3. Who has nightmares when Amadeus and his family move into the old house?
4. What is Two Face's real name?
5. Which patient has relieved himself on the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the dual personality of Harvey Dent.
2. What do Jung and Crowley symbolize and how do they become part of the story?
3. Explain the therapy being used to help cure Harvey Dent.
4. Why does Arkham want to create an asylum from his old house?
5. Why does the hero cut himself as he runs through the mirrored halls of the asylum?
6. Discuss the mental illness of Martin "Mad Dog" Hawkins.
7. Why does the Joker imply an illicit sexual relationship with the hero's sidekick? What exactly does he imply?
8. What is the importance of the Cheshire Cat in the opening of this novel?
9. What is the importance of Martin "Mad Dog" Hawkins to this novel?
10. Discuss the symbolism of the wedding dress in this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between tone and mood in literature. How are the two related? Discuss the tone and mood of Arkham Asylum.
Essay Topic 2
What is a theme in literature? What is the theme of this graphic novel? How is the theme related to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Relate the differences and similarities specifically to this graphic novel.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)