|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story begins, who has taken over Arkham Asylum?
2. Who is the asylum's director?
3. Which patient has relieved himself on the floor?
4. What does the villain do when the hero tells him to release the hostages?
5. What kind of necklace was the hero's mother wearing when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Cheshire Cat in the opening of this novel?
2. Discuss the symbolism of the wedding dress in this story.
3. Were the asylum administrator and psychotherapist hostages? Explain why or why not.
4. Why does Arkham want to create an asylum from his old house?
5. The Joker's reasoning for having the hero come to the asylum seems to differ from other inmates' reasons. What is the difference?
6. Why does the Joker imply an illicit sexual relationship with the hero's sidekick? What exactly does he imply?
7. Discuss briefly two ways in which the clown fish is important to this story.
8. Briefly discuss Harvey Dent's observation about the moon and earth.
9. Who is the hero's biggest enemy as he races through the asylum halls? What do the halls represent?
10. How does Arkham see his drive to turn the family house into an asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which type of conflict is present in this graphic novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Amadeus Arkham. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
Essay Topic 3
Other than Batman, what is the importance of the bat to this novel?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)