|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time does the enemy give the hero to get to the asylum?
2. What does the hero reveal about his plan to go to the asylum?
3. When Amadeus dreams he is a child, what does he dream that he is afraid to enter?
4. Which Biblical book does Amadeus typically quote?
5. To what does the French term for April Fool translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the hero initially say he will not go to the asylum?
2. What does the slap on the hero's rear indicate when he enters into the asylum? Who slaps him?
3. Briefly discuss what the bat skeleton symbolizes in the opening pages.
4. What role does the setting of this novel have on its theme?
5. Why does the hero cut himself as he runs through the mirrored halls of the asylum?
6. Discuss briefly two ways in which the clown fish is important to this story.
7. How does the display of art in the opening of this graphic novel engage the reader?
8. What do Jung and Crowley symbolize and how do they become part of the story?
9. Who is the hero's biggest enemy as he races through the asylum halls? What do the halls represent?
10. Explain the therapy being used to help cure Harvey Dent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the difference between dynamic and static characters. Identify five characters and label them appropriately, either as static or dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is a theme in literature? What is the theme of this graphic novel? How is the theme related to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Define flashback. How does this graphic novel use flashbacks to tell the story? Choose two different characters and give detailed examples of flashbacks that they experience.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)