|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous movie character is quoted in the asylum?
2. The story is introduced with a quote from which story that is a long-time children's favorite?
3. Who has nightmares when Amadeus and his family move into the old house?
4. What is the last demand of the hostage holder when the asylum is under siege?
5. With whom does Amadeus get to play chess in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss Harvey Dent's observation about the moon and earth.
2. Name three of the patients inside the asylum and tell why they are there.
3. How does the display of art in the opening of this graphic novel engage the reader?
4. Why does Arkham want to create an asylum from his old house?
5. Briefly discuss what the bat skeleton symbolizes in the opening pages.
6. Discuss briefly two ways in which the clown fish is important to this story.
7. Why does the hero cut himself as he runs through the mirrored halls of the asylum?
8. What does the slap on the hero's rear indicate when he enters into the asylum? Who slaps him?
9. Briefly describe the mentality of the Joker and his opening joke while on the phone with the hero.
10. Why does the hero initially say he will not go to the asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this graphic novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Arkham Asylum? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Amadeus Arkham. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which type of conflict is present in this graphic novel?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)