|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which villain calls out to the hiding hero that the asylum plays tricks on the mind?
(b) Harvey Dent.
(c) The Mad Hatter.
(d) The Joker.
2. What leads the hero to a room where a hostage is being held?
(a) Scratch marks on the floor.
(b) Coins point the way.
(d) A trail of blood.
3. Which villain represents a Christ figure at the end of the novel?
(b) Doctor Destiny.
(d) Maxie Zeus.
4. During their fight, what does Cavendish call the hero?
(a) A dumb bat.
(b) A mommy's boy.
(c) A loser.
(d) A crazy night stalker.
5. What does Arkham carve into the floor?
(a) A spell.
(b) His initials.
(c) The word "mad."
(d) A bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who released the prisoners from the asylum?
2. On what day does Amadeus electrocute his victim?
3. In what does Two Face lose interest at the end of the novel?
4. Which character drags a pitchfork along the floor of the asylum as he walks?
5. After the pitchfork walker has passed the hero, what does the hero feel on the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do colleagues offer specific praise to Amadeus when he opens his asylum?
2. Explain why Cavendish gets involved in crossing the lives of Arkham and the hero.
3. Explain what happens when the villain decides whether the hero lives or dies?
4. How does the Mad Hatter explain "disorder"? What does he warn the hero about the asylum?
5. Why does Arkham write his journal? What does the location where he stores it say about him?
6. How does a memory from decades earlier described in Arkham's journal relate to the hero?
7. Explain how a statue helps save the hero's life.
8. What idea does the hero contrive to allow the inmates to decide whether he lives or dies?
9. What does Croc symbolize in the novel?
10. Describe Doctor Destiny's appearance and what made him a dangerous villain. How does the hero defeat him?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)