|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the story begins, who has taken over Arkham Asylum?
(a) Another company.
(b) The inmates.
2. What is the name of the hero's sidekick?
3. With whom does Amadeus get to play chess in Europe?
(a) Lesli Crowburg.
(b) Aleister Crowley.
(c) Alex Trebeq.
(d) Alexis Cross.
4. How does Amadeus get the building that will later be used as a hospital?
(a) He inherits it.
(b) He rents it.
(c) He wins it gambling.
(d) He buys it.
5. What does the matter in the ill woman's mouth symbolize?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martin Hawkins use to cut himself?
2. What is the name of Martin Hawkins' villain?
3. Why does Amadeus move his family back to his childhood home?
4. What is above a pile of mannequins in the asylum?
5. To what does the French term for April Fool translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were the asylum administrator and psychotherapist hostages? Explain why or why not.
2. Discuss the symbolism of the wedding dress in this story.
3. What literary technique is used to tell Arkham's story in this novel and why?
4. Why does the hero cut himself as he runs through the mirrored halls of the asylum?
5. What is the importance of Martin "Mad Dog" Hawkins to this novel?
6. Briefly discuss the dual personality of the hero.
7. Why does the hero initially say he will not go to the asylum?
8. Briefly discuss what the bat skeleton symbolizes in the opening pages.
9. Why does the Joker imply an illicit sexual relationship with the hero's sidekick? What exactly does he imply?
10. What is the importance of the Cheshire Cat in the opening of this novel?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)