Front Matter and Section 1, pages 1-11
• The front matter of Arkham Asylum includes a spread with an illustration of wood; a stylized, geometric cross; and nails, which calls the book a passion play.
• The spread following the front matter is an illustration of a fossil of a bat skeleton, an Icaronycteris, labeled icon.
• The title page and credits page contain imagery of windows, writing, shadows, and a clock bound in red string.
• The story is introduced with a quote from the Cheshire Cat from the book Alice in Wonderland. The cat says that everyone in Wonderland is mad.
• The journal of Amadeus Arkham is retold through a series of flashbacks.
• As a young boy, Arkham carries some food up to his ill mother.
• When Arkham comes into his mother's room, she will not eat. She finally opens her mouth to say she's eaten and he sees that her...
This section contains 3,571 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)