|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ari drive his parents after he gets his license?
2. How old was Dante's mother when he was born?
3. In Section 4, Chapter 7, where does Ari think will be the first place he wants to drive his new pickup?
4. In Section 4, Chapter 5, who writes her name on one of Ari's casts?
5. What did Ari's aunt leave him when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Quintana look different to Ari in Section 6, Chapter 2?
2. How do Gina and Susie react when Ari tells them how he got hurt?
3. What does Ari contemplate about storms as he and his parents drive home from Tucson at the end of Section 6?
4. What does Ari do when he finds an envelope with his brother's name on it?
5. How does Ari get a dog?
6. Why does Ari's mother do icebreakers with her students on the first day of school?
7. What does Ari do when Sam and Soledad admire his truck?
8. What does Ari dream in Section 4, Chapter 7?
9. Where does Dante get a job and why does he like working there?
10. At the end of Section 4, Chapter 9, what does Ari think he might do when he grows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ari's relationship with Dante changes in the novel. How does their relationship change, and how do those changes relate to experiences they share and their growing maturity?
Essay Topic 2
Ari's father teaches him to drive. What does Ari learn about himself and his father because of the lessons and how does he feel about that revelation?
Essay Topic 3
Dante's mother doesn't want him looking like a poor Mexican. What does Dante do that makes his mother think people will believe he is a poor Mexican, and why does it bother her so much that her son would be viewed as poor and Mexican?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)