|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Dante when he threw out all of his father's papers?
2. What is on Ari's t-shirt in Section 1, Chapter 2?
3. What does Dante want to do when he comes to see Ari in Section 2, Chapter 4?
4. Why does Ari's mother cry in Section 2, Chapter 3?
5. What does Ari hum after Dante apologizes in Section 3, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ari go for a drive with Dante and his parents in Section 1, Chapter 10 and why?
2. Why does Dante's mom want him to wear shoes?
3. How does Dante feel about a dead bird in Section 1, Chapter 12?
4. How does Ari feel when he awakes at the beginning of Section 2, Chapter 1?
5. Why doesn't Ari like dealing with his mother's Catholic-Church-lady friends?
6. What is the weather like when Ari comes home from the hospital?
7. What does Dante do with Ari when Dante comes over in Section 2, Chapter 4?
8. What did Dante used to call himself and why did he quit using that nickname?
9. What type of vehicle does Ari say he wants for his 16th birthday?
10. How does Ari describe his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ari and his father are alone together while his mother visits an aunt. What does Ari learn about his father and his family during that time, and how does that information affect his relationship with his father?
Essay Topic 2
Ari has mixed feelings about Dante's move to Chicago. What does Ari feel about Dante moving away and why he is conflicted about the move? Do his concerns about the move come true?
Essay Topic 3
Ari's relationship with Dante changes in the novel. How does their relationship change, and how do those changes relate to experiences they share and their growing maturity?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)