|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dante's mother's nickname?
2. Why is Dante mad at Ari at the beginning of Section 2, Chapter 4?
3. How long does Ari have to have his arm in a cast?
4. How many nieces and nephews does Ari have?
5. In Section 1, Chapter 12, what type of dog does Dante want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dante get along with his cousins?
2. What is the weather like when Ari comes home from the hospital?
3. Why does Ari write in his journal that he is glad Dante is leaving for Chicago?
4. Were does Ari wake up and how does he feel in Section 3, Chapter 1?
5. What is Dante's father like?
6. How often does Ari's father visit Ari when he is in the hospital and what do they do together?
7. Why does Ari like the drawing of the chair that Dante creates for him?
8. Where does Ari go for a drive with Dante and his parents in Section 1, Chapter 10 and why?
9. How does Ari describe his surgeon?
10. Why doesn't Ari ask his father questions and how does he learn who is father is without asking questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ari almost feels pain when he sees how much his mother loves him. Why is it so difficult for Ari to accept love from anyone and why is love painful for him?
Essay Topic 2
Ari's relationship with Dante changes in the novel. How does their relationship change, and how do those changes relate to experiences they share and their growing maturity?
Essay Topic 3
Ari's father changed when he returned from the Vietnam war. How did Ari's father change and how did that affect the way that Ari's father lived his life and his relationships with his family, especially with Ari?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)