|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tanner say Harry Flint is that had started when he was a young boy?
2. What names do Diane and Kelly use to sign in to the Adams Hotel in Brooklyn?
3. What is the name of the female scientist who Tanner has killed because she will not leave Tokyo First International for KIG?
4. What does an elderly man do that prevents Diane and Kelly from being shot?
5. What is the name of the air traffic controller that Diane and Kelly go to interview in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Diane and Kelly do at LaGuardia airport in Chapter 34?
2. What happens when Diane, Kelly and Detective Greenburg visit Altieri at his estate?
3. How do Kelly and Diane avoid being shot in Chapter 20?
4. What does Kelly do with her engagement ring in Chapter 33?
5. How does Tanner react when he learns Flint missed killing the women at the Mandarin Hotel?
6. What happens when a man knocks on Kelly's hotel room door in Chapter 21?
7. What happens when Diane is forced into a car by Greg Holliday?
8. What happens when Diane and Kelly see each other outside a hotel room in Chapter 30?
9. What does Tanner reveal is the reason for killing Madeline Smith?
10. What happens when Kelly is met in the stairwell by a man holding a gun in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading the afterword, it becomes clear that the author may have a larger purpose for writing the book than simply entertaining his readers.
Part 1.) What reason might the author have for imparting factual information in a book that seems to be purely for entertainment purposes?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the dangerous nature of weather control based on his afterword?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the implications of having or seeking too much power or control over others and even nature based on the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of greed in the book. What about the author's portrayal of greed suggests his feelings on the implications of acting in such a way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of widowhood in the book. What role does widowhood play in Diane and Kelly's ability to form a common bond in the book?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)