|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kelly's friend that is a well-known talk show host?
2. What does Detective Greenburg ask Tanner if he is experimenting with in Chapter 15?
3. How old is a murder case that Detective Earl Greenburg believes is connected with the deaths of Sonja, Mark and Gary?
4. What is Gary Reynolds' sister woken up by at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What is the name of Gary Reynolds' sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Diane describe the lengths her future husband Richard went through to make her go on a date with him?
2. How did Tanner feel about Pauline when they first met?
3. How is Kelly's modeling career described in Chapter 10?
4. What does Tanner reveal to Diane regarding a woman named Olga in Chapter 19?
5. What happens when Andrew proposes to Princess?
6. What happens to Sonja Verbrugge after she receives a call from her husband to go to the Artesemia Hotel?
7. What do the two notes found on Richard Stevens' body reveal?
8. What happens to Gary Reynolds when he is flying a plane?
9. What does Kelly do with her dog before leaving for New York?
10. What happens to Mark Harris after the men he's waiting for arrive at the observatory deck of the Eiffel Tower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of widowhood in the book. What role does widowhood play in Diane and Kelly's ability to form a common bond in the book?
Essay Topic 2
After reading the afterword, it becomes clear that the author may have a larger purpose for writing the book than simply entertaining his readers.
Part 1.) What reason might the author have for imparting factual information in a book that seems to be purely for entertainment purposes?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the dangerous nature of weather control based on his afterword?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the implications of having or seeking too much power or control over others and even nature based on the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of courage that is represented in the book. Where are Diane and Kelly able to find the courage they need to fight against Tanner, and what does this say about their characters?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)