|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How or where might other writings of Archimedes be rediscovered?
2. When Buffon, a French scientist, made a mirror following the description of Archimedes' mirrors, how far away could he set fire to wood?
3. How many different sciences did Archimedes begin?
4. How did Marcellus' soldiers enter Syracuse?
5. What is the solid of a circle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carthage.
2. What is the center of gravity?
3. What happened when a soldier came to bring Archimedes to Marcellus?
4. What happens when a pebble is dropped into a pond?
5. How do mathematicians figure the area of a circle?
6. What are some reasons why Archimedes is held in such high esteem by mathematicians?
7. How did Archimedes estimate the number of grains that would fill the universe?
8. Where is the earth's center of gravity?
9. Describe Marcellus' fleet that he sent to attack Syracuse.
10. Before Archimedes, how did people find the area of a circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Archimedes worked with plane and solid figures. Discuss plane and solid figures and the work Archimedes did with them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles that Archimedes learned about liquids which led to the beginning of hydrostatics.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book, "Archimedes and the Door of Science," is an analogy that relates Archimedes' contributions in the fields of science and mathematics and the value of those contributions to scientists and mathematicians who followed him. Discuss how Archimedes opened a door to science.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)