|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ratio of the area of a circle to the circle's diameter squared?
2. What does radius mean?
3. How did Marcellus feel when he watched his soldiers conquer Syracuse?
4. How do people know that some of Archimedes' writings have been lost?
5. When do most people believe that the first real understanding of the laws of gravitation began?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Archimedes set out to prove in "The Sand Reckoner"?
2. Where is the earth's center of gravity?
3. What is the center of gravity?
4. What practical joke did Archimedes play on his friends in Alexandria?
5. Describe Marcellus' fleet that he sent to attack Syracuse.
6. Why is it possible for a person to balance standing on one foot?
7. What agreement did the Romans and Carthaginians make to divide the Mediterranean between themselves?
8. What is the difference between a plane and a solid figure?
9. What did Archimedes consider to be his most important work?
10. What did Marcellus do while he held Syracuse in siege?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Archimedes worked with plane and solid figures. Discuss plane and solid figures and the work Archimedes did with them.
Essay Topic 2
War came to Syracuse as King Hiero had feared. Discuss how Syracuse defended their city.
Essay Topic 3
King Hiero was concerned that sooner or later Syracuse was going to be caught in the war between Rome and Carthage. Discuss why King Hiero was concerned about war and what he did about his concerns.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)