|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day did Marcellus order his soldiers to make a noise when they entered Syracuse?
2. What books did Archimedes send to friends in Alexandria with deliberate errors?
3. What strait did Carthage control?
4. What can a giant radio telescope fill with broadcast signals?
5. What did Archimedes call the largest number that he worked with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Marcellus watch the battle for Syracuse with tears in his eyes?
2. What did Archimedes set out to prove in "The Sand Reckoner"?
3. Before Archimedes, how did people find the area of a circle?
4. How do mathematicians figure the area of a circle?
5. Why did Archimedes not want to help King Hiero make plans to defend Syracuse from a possible attack?
6. How do people know that some of Archimedes' writing have been lost?
7. What happens when a pebble is dropped into a pond?
8. What did Marcellus do while he held Syracuse in siege?
9. What calculations did Archimedes use to show how numbers were infinite?
10. Describe Marcellus' fleet that he sent to attack Syracuse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Archimedes wanted to be more exact than mathematicians before him when figuring the area of a circle. Discuss different methods that Archimedes, mathematicians before him, and mathematicians after him have used to find the area of a circle.
Essay Topic 2
Archimedes thought about and experimented with equilibrium and centers of gravity. Discuss centers of gravity and what Archimedes learned about the subject.
Essay Topic 3
A famous scientist once said that he was able to see so far because he stood on the shoulders of giants. Discuss what it means to stand on the shoulders of giants.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)