|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books were in the library at Alexandria?
2. From where would ships bring grain to Sicily?
3. Where was Archimedes taken when he had spent days staring at the King's crown and little else?
4. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the pressure of liquids?
5. What would Archimedes' nurse read to him if he was good?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a hydrometer and how does it work?
2. Who was Eratosthenes?
3. What did the Egyptians believe about the earth and stars?
4. What is a machine, and how does it work?
5. What was the Museum, and who worked there?
6. What important discoveries did Archimedes make about solids?
7. Why was Archimedes an unusual man?
8. Why didn't Archimedes write about algebra?
9. What is geometry?
10. How did Archimedes write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why Archimedes created the Archimedean screw.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles that Archimedes learned about liquids which led to the beginning of hydrostatics.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast astronomy before and during the time of the Greeks.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)