|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where would ships bring grain to Sicily?
2. From where would ships bring fish to Sicily?
3. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the actions of forces on things?
4. What did Archimedes write about mathematics?
5. What is heavier than iron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sciences did Archimedes begin, and with what did each type of science deal?
2. Why didn't Archimedes write about algebra?
3. What was the most important thing that Archimedes gave to the world?
4. What is geometry?
5. What heavy object did King Hiero challenge Archimedes to move?
6. How did a typical day start for Archimedes?
7. What might have been the first thing that thing that Archimedes saw when he entered the Alexandria harbor?
8. Why would a slave be put in charge of Archimedes when he started school?
9. What is a machine, and how does it work?
10. Where would a boy from Syracuse have spent many hours?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Hiero wanted Archimedes to determine if his new crown was solid gold. Discuss how Archimedes solved the crown problem using what is called today the Scientific Method.
Essay Topic 2
Archimedes believed that numbers never ended. Discuss large numbers and why Archimedes believed that numbers are infinite.
Essay Topic 3
Archimedes made many contributions to astronomy. Discuss Archimedes' contributions to astronomy.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)