|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Ptolemy's Museum the center of Greek learning?
2. What is the point on which the lever turns or moves?
3. What was the name of Archimedes' father?
4. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
5. Which branch of mathematics had the groundwork for its development laid by Archimedes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Egyptians and Babylonians use astronomy?
2. Who was Eratosthenes?
3. What important discoveries did Archimedes make about solids?
4. Who was Euclid?
5. How did a typical day start for Archimedes?
6. What are some examples of how force creates work?
7. How did Archimedes write?
8. Why did Aristotle believe that the earth was curved and shaped like a sphere?
9. What was the Museum, and who worked there?
10. What did Archimedes write about mathematics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book, "Archimedes and the Door of Science," is an analogy that relates Archimedes' contributions in the fields of science and mathematics and the value of those contributions to scientists and mathematicians who followed him. Discuss how Archimedes opened a door to science.
Essay Topic 2
Archimedes used a machine to move a heavy ship. Discuss machines and how they work.
Essay Topic 3
King Hiero wanted Archimedes to determine if his new crown was solid gold. Discuss how Archimedes solved the crown problem using what is called today the Scientific Method.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)