|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which branch of mathematics deals with distances to directions?
2. How often did three months have to be added to the Greek year?
3. Whom did Archimedes enjoy arguing with regarding whether pure reason was better than practical knowledge?
4. How old was Archimedes when he received his name?
5. What laws did Archimedes discover that led to machines that could move heavy loads or increase speeds, or change directions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was known about the lands to the north, south, east, and west of Sicily?
2. What important discoveries did Archimedes make about solids?
3. What did Archimedes and King Hiero enjoy arguing about?
4. What would happen when Archimedes was engrossed in a problem?
5. What heavy object did King Hiero challenge Archimedes to move?
6. Why didn't Archimedes write about algebra?
7. How did Archimedes write?
8. What did the Egyptians believe about the earth and stars?
9. What did Archimedes notice at the baths, and how did he use that discovery to solve the problem of the crown?
10. What made King Hiero suspect that his crown might not be solid gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Greeks were a people who were different from people who had lived before them and people who lived after them. Discuss Greek society.
Essay Topic 2
There are three different classes of levers. Discuss how a lever works and how the relationship of the different parts of a lever create the different lever classes.
Essay Topic 3
Archimedes wanted to be more exact than mathematicians before him when figuring the area of a circle. Discuss different methods that Archimedes, mathematicians before him, and mathematicians after him have used to find the area of a circle.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)