|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
2. What great Greek teacher who lived more than one hundred years before Archimedes believed it was important to learn geometry?
3. What instrument did Archimedes create that told him the density of liquids?
4. Which branch of mathematics studies numbers?
5. What did Archimedes claim he could move if he had a place to stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a machine, and how does it work?
2. What did Archimedes notice at the baths, and how did he use that discovery to solve the problem of the crown?
3. What are some examples of how force creates work?
4. Who was Euclid?
5. What sciences did Archimedes begin, and with what did each type of science deal?
6. Describe a Greek school like Archimedes attended.
7. What would happen when Archimedes was engrossed in a problem?
8. What few ideas did Archimedes have that someone had already discovered about the distance between two points?
9. What was known about the lands to the north, south, east, and west of Sicily?
10. What might have been the first thing that thing that Archimedes saw when he entered the Alexandria harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what life was like for Archimedes growing up.
Essay Topic 2
Archimedes used a machine to move a heavy ship. Discuss machines and how they work.
Essay Topic 3
King Hiero wanted Archimedes to determine if his new crown was solid gold. Discuss how Archimedes solved the crown problem using what is called today the Scientific Method.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)