|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What calculation today does not use the unusual mathematical properties of a spiral?
(a) Distances in space.
(d) Finding an unknown quantity.
2. What mathematics is needed to figure the cattle problem?
3. When Archimedes worked with a sphere and cylinder, he figured the ratio or relationship of the cylinder to the sphere was ___________.
4. In how many books that Archimedes sent to his friends, did he make deliberate errors?
5. What did Archimedes want on his tomb?
(a) Drawing of a sphere.
(b) Drawings of plane figures.
(c) A figure of a sphere and cylinder.
(d) Drawing of a cylinder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it take to cause a chain reaction in a nuclear explosion?
2. How many sides did the polygons have that Archimedes used to determine the area of a circle?
3. What is the formula for the area of a circle?
4. Who was the Roman general who waged war against Syracuse?
5. What sound did the author mention that could be made in a cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Archimedes, how did people find the area of a circle?
2. How do people know that some of Archimedes' writing have been lost?
3. Why is it possible for a person to balance standing on one foot?
4. How do mathematicians figure the area of a circle?
5. What happens when a pebble is dropped into a pond?
6. Why is Archimedes' "Method" so important to all mathematicians who followed him?
7. What practical joke did Archimedes play on his friends in Alexandria?
8. What is the difference between a plane and a solid figure?
9. Describe Marcellus' fleet that he sent to attack Syracuse.
10. Where is the earth's center of gravity?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)