|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Archimedes' teacher of mathematics at the Museum?
(b) Apollonius of Rhodes.
(d) Conon of Samos.
2. How many planets did Greek astronomers observe?
3. Which branch of mathematics deals with distances to directions?
4. What was Archimedes favorite branch of mathematics?
5. What is heavier than iron?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where would ships bring fish to Sicily?
2. What is the meaning of the Greek word "mathema" from which mathematics is derived?
3. What does "eureka" mean?
4. How much money would a laborer earn in Archimedes' day?
5. Who believed that the earth was a flat rectangle with their country in the middle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What heavy object did King Hiero challenge Archimedes to move?
2. What was the Museum, and who worked there?
3. What is a hydrometer and how does it work?
4. Why was Archimedes an unusual man?
5. Describe a Greek school like Archimedes attended.
6. What is a machine, and how does it work?
7. What would happen when Archimedes was engrossed in a problem?
8. How did a typical day start for Archimedes?
9. What tools did the Greek astronomers have?
10. What made King Hiero suspect that his crown might not be solid gold?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)