|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Marcellus hold Syracuse in siege.
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
2. What part of the Mediterranean Sea did the ships of Carthage control?
3. How many sides did the polygons have that Archimedes used to determine the area of a circle?
4. What is the ratio of the area of a circle to the circle's diameter squared?
(a) 3 to 8.
(b) 5 to 9.
(c) 10 to 12.
(d) 11 to 14.
5. Before Archimedes, what did people use to figure the area of a circle?
(a) Pentagons inside and outside the circle.
(b) Squares inside and outside the circle.
(c) Octagons inside and outside the circle.
(d) Triangles inside and outside the circle.
6. What would be the area of a circle that had a radius of 3 inches?
(d) 28.27431 inches.
7. How did the people of Syracuse celebrate their favorite festival?
(a) By making sacrifices.
(b) With dancing, games, food and wine.
(c) By fasting.
(d) With plays and feasts.
8. What does it take to cause a chain reaction in a nuclear explosion?
(a) 30 atoms fused together.
(b) A single particle of an atom.
(c) 100 clusters of atoms.
(d) 15 atoms fused together.
9. What festival was a favorite of the people in Syracuse?
(a) Greater Dionysia.
(b) Festival of the Vine Flower.
(c) Feast to Diana.
(d) Hieros Gamos.
10. What time of day did Marcellus order his soldiers to make a noise when they entered Syracuse?
11. What strait did Carthage control?
12. Which of these would be a lemma?
(a) 1 + 1 = 2.
(b) 27 - x = 15.
(d) a + b = 4c.
13. In what book did Archimedes give mathematicians a logical way to start any problem and an orderly way of setting things down?
(a) The Sand Reckoner.
(c) On Floating Bodies.
14. With Archimedes' polygons, how much less was the circumference than the diameter?
(a) 2 1/2 times.
(b) 4 1/3 times.
(c) 3 1/7 times.
(d) 5 1/8 times.
15. Marcellus ordered his soldiers to not take ______________as slaves.
(a) The scientists like Archimedes.
(b) All free citizens of Syracuse.
(c) The women of Syracuse.
(d) The children of Syracuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much larger did Archimedes believe that the Greek universe (our solar system) was larger than the earth?
2. How did Marcellus feel when he watched his soldiers conquer Syracuse?
3. What sound did the author mention that could be made in a cave?
4. What is pi?
5. What word means balance?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)