|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Greek poet would Archimedes have studied?
2. When did the Museum open in Alexandria?
(a) 200 B.C.
(b) 400 B.C.
(c) 350 B.C.
(d) 300 B.C.
3. Where was Archimedes taken when he had spent days staring at the King's crown and little else?
(a) To his parents' home.
(b) To a place to eat.
(c) To see the king.
(d) The baths.
4. After Archimedes spent days staring at the King's crown, who came to take him somewhere?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His slaves.
(d) The king's guard.
5. Which type of mathematics do architects needs to plan buildings?
(c) Applied Mathematics.
6. What was King Hiero's crown supposed to be made from?
7. What type of lever has the force at one end, the resistance at the other end, and the fulcrum in between?
(a) Third-class lever.
(b) Fourth-class lever.
(c) First-class lever.
(d) Second-class lever.
8. For how many planets was Archimedes able to estimate the distance from earth?
9. How many times in his life did Archimedes leave Sicily and travel?
(a) Three times.
(b) Two times.
10. How many books were included in Euclid's "The Elements"?
11. Who was Alexander the Great's tutor?
12. What is the study of shapes in space?
(b) Applied Mathematics.
13. How long did the Romans preserve some of Archimedes' astronomical machines?
(a) More than 200 years.
(b) 150 years.
(c) 75 years.
(d) About 100 years.
14. How often did three months have to be added to the Greek year?
(a) Every two years.
(b) Every eight years.
(c) Every four years.
(d) Every five years.
15. What is the work done on a lever called?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Archimedes born?
2. From which factories would ships bring manufactured goods?
3. What was the name of the bugaboo that Archimedes' nurse would read about that frightened him when he was bad?
4. Who believed that the earth was a flat rectangle with their country in the middle?
5. How old would Archimedes have been when he moved out of the women's quarters?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)