|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Archimedes spent days staring at the King's crown, who came to take him somewhere?
(a) His father.
(b) His slaves.
(c) His mother.
(d) The king's guard.
2. What is the science that deals with the laws of nature that govern liquids at rest?
3. What is the study of shapes in space?
(d) Applied Mathematics.
4. Who was Alexander the Great's tutor?
5. What great Greek teacher who lived more than one hundred years before Archimedes believed it was important to learn geometry?
6. Which branch of mathematics deals with distances to directions?
7. How many times in his life did Archimedes leave Sicily and travel?
(b) Three times.
(c) Two times.
8. What hobgoblin would Archimedes' read about to scare him if he was bad?
9. To what did a series of ropes and wheels run from King Hiero's ship?
(a) An ellipse.
(b) A helix.
(c) A parabola.
(d) A hyperbola.
10. Who estimated the circumference of the earth to within one hundred miles?
11. What field of mathematics is necessary to create rockets and space travel?
12. Which astronomers believed that the earth was inside a hollow iron sphere?
13. What type of lever has the force at one end, the resistance at the other end, and the fulcrum in between?
(a) Second-class lever.
(b) Fourth-class lever.
(c) First-class lever.
(d) Third-class lever.
14. From where would ships bring fish to Sicily?
(a) Bering Sea.
(b) Red Sea.
(c) Black Sea.
(d) Arabian Sea.
15. What is heavier than wood?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books were included in Euclid's "The Elements"?
2. From where would ships bring grain to Sicily?
3. What was the name of Archimedes' father?
4. Who founded Alexandria?
5. For how many years did Archimedes' war machines defend the city of Syracuse?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)