|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which type of mathematics do architects needs to plan buildings?
(a) Applied Mathematics.
2. What did Archimedes write about mathematics?
(c) Theoretical books.
3. What sea is near Sicily?
4. What is heavier than wood?
5. From where would ships bring fish to Sicily?
(a) Black Sea.
(b) Red Sea.
(c) Arabian Sea.
(d) Bering Sea.
6. What was King Hiero's crown supposed to be made from?
7. How many days were in the Greek year?
8. What laws did Archimedes discover that led to machines that could move heavy loads or increase speeds, or change directions?
(a) Laws of the wedge.
(b) Laws of inclined plane.
(c) Laws of the wheel and axle.
(d) Laws of the pulley and lever.
9. For how many years did Archimedes' war machines defend the city of Syracuse?
10. How many books were in the library at Alexandria?
(b) Half a million.
(c) About a quarter of a million.
11. What is the work that is to be done with a lever called?
12. What was the mathematical subject that Archimedes did not write about?
13. What metal did the King suspect had been substituted in the crown?
14. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
(a) Archimedean screw.
(b) Block-and-tackle-pulley system.
(c) Archimedean spiral.
(d) Claw of Archimedes.
15. How much larger is the sun than the moon?
(a) 1,320,000 times larger.
(b) 750,000 times larger.
(c) 500,000 times larger.
(d) 250,000 times larger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which branch of mathematics deals with motion and change?
2. What constellations did Archimedes' teacher of mathematics discover?
3. When was Archimedes born?
4. Who founded Alexandria?
5. What was the name of the bugaboo that Archimedes' nurse would read about that frightened him when he was bad?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)