|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founded Alexandria?
(d) Alexander the Great.
2. For how many years did Archimedes' war machines defend the city of Syracuse?
3. When did the Museum open in Alexandria?
(a) 350 B.C.
(b) 300 B.C.
(c) 400 B.C.
(d) 200 B.C.
4. How often did three months have to be added to the Greek year?
(a) Every five years.
(b) Every four years.
(c) Every two years.
(d) Every eight years.
5. Who was the French scientist who later added to the laws of nature that govern liquids at rest?
(a) Marie Curie.
(b) Sebastian Basso.
(c) Blaise Pascal.
(d) Henri Becquerel.
6. Which planet did the Greeks name after the king of the gods?
7. What hobgoblin would Archimedes' read about to scare him if he was bad?
8. What branch of mathematics did Archimedes invent?
9. What type of mathematics must engineers use to build bridges?
(c) Applied Mathematics.
10. What was Archimedes' father's occupation?
11. How old would Archimedes have been when he moved out of the women's quarters?
12. What did Archimedes write about mathematics?
(a) Theoretical books.
13. What does "eureka" mean?
(b) I have found it.
(c) Watch out.
14. Where would Archimedes sketch his diagrams when he was in his workroom?
(a) On papyrus.
(b) In sand on the floor.
(c) On pieces of cloth.
(d) On a clay tablet.
15. What metal did the King suspect had been substituted in the crown?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Greek poet would Archimedes have studied?
2. How old was Archimedes when he received his name?
3. What principle did Archimedes discover that tells why some things float, some things sink, and some things rise into the air?
4. How many books were included in Euclid's "The Elements"?
5. What instrument did Archimedes create that told him the density of liquids?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)