|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, No End to Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which astronomer said that the sun was nine times greater than the moon?
2. What branch of mathematics did Archimedes invent?
3. Which mathematicians probably used a decimal system of numbers?
(a) Euclid and Aristotle.
(b) Hipparchus and Ptolemy.
(c) Archimedes and Apollonius.
(d) Thales and Pythagorus.
4. What was the value of the largest number for which the Greeks had a name?
5. How long would it have taken Archimedes to sail from Syracuse to Alexandria?
(a) 10 to 12 days.
(b) 16 to 17 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 20 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which planet did the Greeks name after the king of the gods?
2. If two weights weigh the same, where will they balance?
3. With Archimedes' polygons, how much more was the circumference than the diameter?
4. For how many planets was Archimedes able to estimate the distance from earth?
5. Which of these works of Archimedes exists today?
This section contains 172 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)