|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, No End to Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument did Archimedes create that told him the density of liquids?
2. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the actions of forces on things?
3. What type of lever has the force at one end, the resistance at the other end, and the fulcrum in between?
(a) Third-class lever.
(b) Fourth-class lever.
(c) Second-class lever.
(d) First-class lever.
4. Who were the first people to have ideas about gravity?
(a) Greek scientists.
(b) Babylonian scientists.
(c) Egyptian scientists.
(d) Persian scientists.
5. Marcellus ordered his soldiers to not take ______________as slaves.
(a) The scientists like Archimedes.
(b) All free citizens of Syracuse.
(c) The children of Syracuse.
(d) The women of Syracuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which astronomer said that the sun was nine times greater than the moon?
2. Who founded Alexandria?
3. When Buffon, a French scientist, made a mirror following the description of Archimedes' mirrors, how far away could he set fire to wood?
4. Before Archimedes, what did people use to figure the area of a circle?
5. Whom did Archimedes enjoy arguing with regarding whether pure reason was better than practical knowledge?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)