|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, The War Machines of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is not a plane figure that Archimedes discovered a method for finding the center of gravity?
2. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the actions of forces on things?
3. What did Archimedes claim he could move if he had a place to stand?
(a) The earth.
(b) A ship.
(c) A building.
(d) The moon.
4. Before Archimedes, what did people use to figure the area of a circle?
(a) Octagons inside and outside the circle.
(b) Squares inside and outside the circle.
(c) Pentagons inside and outside the circle.
(d) Triangles inside and outside the circle.
5. What was the mathematical subject that Archimedes did not write about?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Archimedes taken when he had spent days staring at the King's crown and little else?
2. When was Euclid born?
3. How long would it have taken Archimedes to sail from Syracuse to Alexandria?
4. What was the value of the largest number for which the Greeks had a name?
5. What is always the same as the area of a circle if one side was the same as the radius of the circle?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)