|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, The War Machines of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Archimedes' teacher of mathematics at the Museum?
(c) Conon of Samos.
(d) Apollonius of Rhodes.
2. What tower does not fall because its center of gravity is still over the tower's base?
(a) Leaning Tower of Pisa.
(b) The London Post Office Tower.
(c) Galatia Tower.
(d) Eiffel Tower.
3. What great Greek teacher who lived more than one hundred years before Archimedes believed it was important to learn geometry?
4. How many miles long would Archimedes' lever have had to be if he had tried to move the earth?
(a) 95 trillion.
(b) 66 billion.
(c) 88 sextillion.
(d) 100 million.
5. What is the formula for the area of a circle?
(a) Subtract the radius from the circumference of a circle.
(b) Multiply the radius times the circumference of a circle.
(c) Multiply the length of the circle from rim to rim times pi.
(d) Multiply pi times the radius of the circle times the radius again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the work done on a lever called?
2. During Archimedes' time, where did explorers say that savages called "gorillas" lived?
3. What branch of mathematics did Archimedes invent?
4. What Greek poet would Archimedes have studied?
5. What is the study of shapes in space?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)