|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Archimedes and Astronomy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Archimedes use to weigh the crown?
(a) Tare weight.
(b) A set of scales.
(c) An ampere balance.
(d) Water, jar, and a bowl.
2. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
(a) Claw of Archimedes.
(b) Archimedean spiral.
(c) Block-and-tackle-pulley system.
(d) Archimedean screw.
3. How long would it have taken Archimedes to sail from Syracuse to Alexandria?
(a) 20 days.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 16 to 17 days.
(d) 10 to 12 days.
4. How did Archimedes's family announce his birth?
(a) Draped eucalyptus branches around windows of the house.
(b) A slave went to friends and family
(c) Hung an olive branch on the doorpost of their house.
(d) An announcement was made in the public square.
5. To what did a series of ropes and wheels run from King Hiero's ship?
(a) A parabola.
(b) A helix.
(c) An ellipse.
(d) A hyperbola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was King Hiero's crown supposed to be made from?
2. From where would ships bring grain to Sicily?
3. From which factories would ships bring manufactured goods?
4. How long were the rolls that were used for Greek books?
5. What sea is near Sicily?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)