|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The World of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which factories would ships bring manufactured goods?
2. What great Greek teacher who lived more than one hundred years before Archimedes believed it was important to learn geometry?
3. How long were the rolls that were used for Greek books?
(a) 150 feet long.
(b) 120 feet long.
(c) 75 feet long.
(d) 215 feet long.
4. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
(a) Archimedean spiral.
(b) Block-and-tackle-pulley system.
(c) Archimedean screw.
(d) Claw of Archimedes.
5. What branch of mathematics did Archimedes invent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bugaboo that Archimedes' nurse would read about that frightened him when he was bad?
2. How much would an educated man, like an architect, earn in Archimedes' day?
3. During Archimedes' time, where did explorers say that savages called "gorillas" lived?
4. What sea is near Sicily?
5. What Greek poet would Archimedes have studied?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)