|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The World of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Archimedes' predecessor in the field of mathematics?
2. What was the name of Archimedes' father?
3. Who dipped Archimedes in warm water and oil and then wrapped him from head to feet like an Indian papoose?
(a) His mother.
(b) A slave.
(c) His godmother.
(d) His father.
4. What laws did Archimedes discover that led to machines that could move heavy loads or increase speeds, or change directions?
(a) Laws of inclined plane.
(b) Laws of the pulley and lever.
(c) Laws of the wedge.
(d) Laws of the wheel and axle.
5. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
(a) Archimedean screw.
(b) Archimedean spiral.
(c) Block-and-tackle-pulley system.
(d) Claw of Archimedes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would a skilled craftsman earn in Archimedes' day?
2. What hobgoblin would Archimedes' read about to scare him if he was bad?
3. For how many planets was Archimedes able to estimate the distance from earth?
4. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the actions of forces on things?
5. How long were the rolls that were used for Greek books?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)