|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The World of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What great Greek teacher who lived more than one hundred years before Archimedes believed it was important to learn geometry?
2. From where would ships bring grain to Sicily?
3. How much would an educated man, like an architect, earn in Archimedes' day?
(a) 30 cents a day.
(b) 60 cents a day.
(c) 50 cents a day.
(d) 45 cents a day.
4. What did Archimedes invent that is still used to drain or irrigate fields, load grain, and run high-speed machines?
(a) Archimedean screw.
(b) Archimedean spiral.
(c) Block-and-tackle-pulley system.
(d) Claw of Archimedes.
5. How did Archimedes's family announce his birth?
(a) Draped eucalyptus branches around windows of the house.
(b) An announcement was made in the public square.
(c) Hung an olive branch on the doorpost of their house.
(d) A slave went to friends and family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dipped Archimedes in warm water and oil and then wrapped him from head to feet like an Indian papoose?
2. What hobgoblin would Archimedes' read about to scare him if he was bad?
3. From which factories would ships bring manufactured goods?
4. How old would Archimedes have been when he moved out of the women's quarters?
5. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the pressure of liquids?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)