|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, The War Machines of Archimedes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With Archimedes' polygons, how much more was the circumference than the diameter?
(a) 2 5/84 times.
(b) 3 10/71 times.
(c) 6 15/94 times.
(d) 1 11/63 times.
2. Which branch of mathematics deals with motion and change?
(d) Applied Mathematics.
3. What is the work that is to be done with a lever called?
4. Who estimated the circumference of the earth to within one hundred miles?
5. What did Archimedes want on his tomb?
(a) Drawings of plane figures.
(b) A figure of a sphere and cylinder.
(c) Drawing of a cylinder.
(d) Drawing of a sphere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the Greek word "mathema" from which mathematics is derived?
2. What part of the Mediterranean Sea did the ships of Carthage control?
3. What does "eureka" mean?
4. What metal did the King suspect had been substituted in the crown?
5. For which type of science were Archimedes' demonstrations of centers of gravity the foundation?
This section contains 172 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)