|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Archimedes and His Lever.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Archimedes claim he could move if he had a place to stand?
(a) A ship.
(b) The earth.
(c) A building.
(d) The moon.
2. What science did Archimedes begin that deals with the actions of forces on things?
3. What laws did Archimedes discover that led to machines that could move heavy loads or increase speeds, or change directions?
(a) Laws of the wedge.
(b) Laws of inclined plane.
(c) Laws of the pulley and lever.
(d) Laws of the wheel and axle.
4. Who was Archimedes' predecessor in the field of mathematics?
5. Near what country is Sicily located?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times in his life did Archimedes leave Sicily and travel?
2. What principle did Archimedes discover that is one of the basic scientific tests of all the elements?
3. How many books were included in Euclid's "The Elements"?
4. How long was Ptolemy's Museum the center of Greek learning?
5. During Archimedes' time, where did explorers say that savages called "gorillas" lived?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)