|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, The Sphere and the Cylinder.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If you took a sphere and made a cylinder whose base was the greatest circle of the sphere and whose height was the diameter of the sphere, how much space or volume would the cylinder take up compared to the sphere?
(a) 3 1/2 times.
(b) 1 1/2 times.
(c) 6 times.
(d) 4 times.
2. What field of mathematics is necessary to create rockets and space travel?
3. Whom did Archimedes enjoy arguing with regarding whether pure reason was better than practical knowledge?
(b) King Hiero.
4. What did Archimedes want on his tomb?
(a) Drawings of plane figures.
(b) Drawing of a cylinder.
(c) Drawing of a sphere.
(d) A figure of a sphere and cylinder.
5. Where would Archimedes sketch his diagrams when he was in his workroom?
(a) On papyrus.
(b) In sand on the floor.
(c) On pieces of cloth.
(d) On a clay tablet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the solid of a circle?
2. What dimensions does a plane figure have?
3. What type of lever has the force at one end, the resistance at the other end, and the fulcrum in between?
4. If you took a sphere and made a cylinder whose base was the greatest circle of the sphere and whose height was the diameter of the sphere, how much larger would the surface of the cylinder be than the surface of the sphere?
5. What is the solid of a square?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)