|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
2. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
3. What is Valentine working on at the beginning of this scene?
4. According to Lady Croom, who is in love with Mrs. Chater?
5. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forms of deception take place in Stoppard's play? Using examples of deception from the play, write an essay in determine the effect deception has on people, events, and ideas in Sidley Park.
Essay Topic 2
Traditionally, temperaments that lean toward math and science might be viewed in opposition to those that favor literature and art. Considering the development of ideas surrounding math, science, literature, and art in "Arcadia," write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's message about the significance of any one discipline to our human experience.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of fate or determination in the play. Write an essay in which you use examples of seemingly fated or determined events in the play to explain the author's message.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)