|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
2. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
3. Bernard calls Hannah's first book _________________.
4. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
5. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alfred North Whitehead said, "The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order." Does change in Stoppard's play indicate progress? Write an essay in which you explore Stoppard's message about change or progress, using specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Traditionally, temperaments that lean toward math and science might be viewed in opposition to those that favor literature and art. Considering the development of ideas surrounding math, science, literature, and art in "Arcadia," write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's message about the significance of any one discipline to our human experience.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)