|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard states that the drama of life at Sidley Park was about __________________-.
2. Why does Septimus claim he had an affair with Mrs. Chater?
3. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
4. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
5. What is Septimus doing while the others sleep?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 2
According to Chloe, individual attraction is the one reason why determinism doesn't work as a theory. Consider the events of the play and defend, refute, or quality the accuracy of this sentiment.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates said, "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." Consider the concept of honor or honorable behavior in Stoppard's play, and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Socrates' quote, using evidence from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)