|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
2. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
3. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
4. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
5. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Stoppard's characters have to say about love and sex in his play? Using any one character's dialogue as support, write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's messages about love and sex.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the two turtles mentioned in the play. Reviewing any mention of the turtles, write an essay in which you determine the symbolic meaning of the animals, and the reason for their constant presence onstage.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)