|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lady Croom upset with Byron?
2. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
3. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
4. What is Thomasina wearing when she enters?
5. Why does Septimus claim he had an affair with Mrs. Chater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the characters of Valentine and Septimus as character foils in Stoppard's play. Write an essay in which you identify their role in drawing out certain features of Hannah and Thomasina respectively.
Essay Topic 3
According to Chloe, individual attraction is the one reason why determinism doesn't work as a theory. Consider the events of the play and defend, refute, or quality the accuracy of this sentiment.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)