|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
2. Valentine is _____________.
3. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
4. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
5. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the opposing motifs of chaos and order in the play. In an essay, describe any two examples of the motifs of chaos and order in Stoppard's play, and describe the contribution these motifs make to the overall meaning of "Arcadia."
Essay Topic 2
Consider the characters of Valentine and Septimus as character foils in Stoppard's play. Write an essay in which you identify their role in drawing out certain features of Hannah and Thomasina respectively.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title "Arcadia," and Septimus' translation "Even in Arcadia, there am I," implying that death is present even in any idyllic setting. In what ways is Sidley Park a seemingly idyllic setting, and how does Septimus' translation impact that idea? Write an essay in which you explore both ideas, using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)