|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
2. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
3. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
4. When Thomasina suggests they must hurry to dance, Septimus responds that __________________.
5. What objectionable article does Mrs. Chater wear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Stoppard's characters have to say about love and sex in his play? Using any one character's dialogue as support, write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's messages about love and sex.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the opposing motifs of chaos and order in the play. In an essay, describe any two examples of the motifs of chaos and order in Stoppard's play, and describe the contribution these motifs make to the overall meaning of "Arcadia."
Essay Topic 3
Traditionally, temperaments that lean toward math and science might be viewed in opposition to those that favor literature and art. Considering the development of ideas surrounding math, science, literature, and art in "Arcadia," write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's message about the significance of any one discipline to our human experience.
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)