|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
2. What can't Noakes provide for the garden?
3. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
4. How has Lady Croom punished her brother for choosing his acquaintances unwisely?
5. How old is Thomasina at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of fate or determination in the play. Write an essay in which you use examples of seemingly fated or determined events in the play to explain the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
How does Stoppard use time to develop his message in "Arcadia?" Write an essay in which you determine and support Stoppard's message about time, using specific references to the author's mention and manipulation of time in the play.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)