|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard calls Hannah's first book _________________.
2. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
3. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
4. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
5. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1According to Chloe, individual attraction is the one reason why determinism doesn't work as a theory. Consider the events of the play and defend, refute, or quality the accuracy of this sentiment.
Essay Topic 2Alfred North Whitehead said, "The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order." Does change in Stoppard's play indicate progress? Write an essay in which you explore Stoppard's message about change or progress, using specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3Consider the motifs of free will and determination in the play. Write an essay in which you explain the characters' views on both motifs, and how these motifs contribute to Stoppard's message in the play. Use specific examples of dialogue to support your ideas about the characters' views.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)