|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
2. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
3. Why is Lady Croom upset with Septimus?
4. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
5. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Jean Nathan once remarked, "Common sense, in so far as it exists, is all for the bourgeoisie. Nonsense is the privilege of the aristocracy. The worries of the world are for the common people." Consider the role of wealth and privilege in Stoppard's play and then defend, refute, or qualify Nathan's quote as it applies to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of fate or determination in the play. Write an essay in which you use examples of seemingly fated or determined events in the play to explain the author's message.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)