|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomasina at this point?
2. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
3. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
4. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
5. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Stoppard's characters have to say about love and sex in his play? Using any one character's dialogue as support, write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's messages about love and sex.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 3
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)