|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article has Septimus loaned Byron?
2. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
3. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
4. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
5. Why does Septimus claim he had an affair with Mrs. Chater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the characters of Valentine and Septimus as character foils in Stoppard's play. Write an essay in which you identify their role in drawing out certain features of Hannah and Thomasina respectively.
Essay Topic 3
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)