|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
2. Hannah's quoting of Byron's poetry suggests what to Valentine?
3. What is unusual about the staging in this scene?
4. What does Bernard learn about his theory of Byron and the supposed duel with Chater?
5. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
Essay Topic 1
George Jean Nathan once remarked, "Common sense, in so far as it exists, is all for the bourgeoisie. Nonsense is the privilege of the aristocracy. The worries of the world are for the common people." Consider the role of wealth and privilege in Stoppard's play and then defend, refute, or qualify Nathan's quote as it applies to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title "Arcadia," and Septimus' translation "Even in Arcadia, there am I," implying that death is present even in any idyllic setting. In what ways is Sidley Park a seemingly idyllic setting, and how does Septimus' translation impact that idea? Write an essay in which you explore both ideas, using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)