|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
2. What does Bernard learn about his theory of Byron and the supposed duel with Chater?
3. When Thomasina suggests they must hurry to dance, Septimus responds that __________________.
4. Why does Septimus say he cannot teach Thomasina to waltz?
5. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traditionally, temperaments that lean toward math and science might be viewed in opposition to those that favor literature and art. Considering the development of ideas surrounding math, science, literature, and art in "Arcadia," write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's message about the significance of any one discipline to our human experience.
Essay Topic 2
What forms of deception take place in Stoppard's play? Using examples of deception from the play, write an essay in determine the effect deception has on people, events, and ideas in Sidley Park.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)