|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bernard's response to Hannah's statement that she has a theory but cannot prove it?
2. Why is Lady Croom upset with Septimus?
3. Why won't Valentine drive Bernard home from Sidley Park?
4. Who is Lady Croom's latest lover?
5. According to Hannah, how is the study of history like science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the research styles of Bernard and Hannah's characters, write an essay in which you determine whether one of them is a more responsible historian than the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates said, "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." Consider the concept of honor or honorable behavior in Stoppard's play, and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Socrates' quote, using evidence from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)