Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. Describe Thomasina's character.
3. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
4. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
7. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
8. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
9. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
10. Describe Lady Croom's character.
Consider the motifs of free will and determination in the play. Write an essay in which you explain the characters' views on both motifs, and how these motifs contribute to Stoppard's message in the play. Use specific examples of dialogue to support your ideas about the characters' views.
What forms of deception take place in Stoppard's play? Using examples of deception from the play, write an essay in determine the effect deception has on people, events, and ideas in Sidley Park.
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)