Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. Describe Thomasina's character.
3. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
4. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
7. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
8. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
9. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
10. Describe Lady Croom's character.
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of free will and determination in the play. Write an essay in which you explain the characters' views on both motifs, and how these motifs contribute to Stoppard's message in the play. Use specific examples of dialogue to support your ideas about the characters' views.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the research styles of Bernard and Hannah's characters, write an essay in which you determine whether one of them is a more responsible historian than the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
What do Stoppard's characters have to say about love and sex in his play? Using any one character's dialogue as support, write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's messages about love and sex.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)