Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. Describe Thomasina's character.
3. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
4. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
7. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
8. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
9. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
10. Describe Lady Croom's character.
Considering the research styles of Bernard and Hannah's characters, write an essay in which you determine whether one of them is a more responsible historian than the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Alfred North Whitehead said, "The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order." Does change in Stoppard's play indicate progress? Write an essay in which you explore Stoppard's message about change or progress, using specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)