|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
2. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
3. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
4. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
5. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Hannah interested in listening to Bernard read his article?
2. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
3. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
4. Why does Thomasina get angry when Septimus translates from Latin?
5. What comfort does Lady Croom take in her brother's marriage to Mrs. Chater?
6. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
7. What "compact" has Septimus made with Thomasina in the hermitage?
8. Describe Thomasina's character.
9. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
10. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard has "bitten" Hannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
According to Chloe, individual attraction is the one reason why determinism doesn't work as a theory. Consider the events of the play and defend, refute, or quality the accuracy of this sentiment.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Stoppard's stage directions in Arcadia, specifically his use of one common set to bridge the two eras. Write an essay in which you defend or criticize this storytelling strategy as it relates to his themes.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)