|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
2. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
3. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
4. Chater realizes that Byron intends ____________________.
5. What event is going to occur at Sidley Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hannah writing about the garden at Sidley Park?
2. What information does Bernard seek at Sidley Park?
3. What is the theory of heat exchange discussed in the scene?
4. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
5. What example of dramatic irony occurs between Septimus and Thomasina?
6. How does Septimus avoid a duel with Chater?
7. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
8. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
9. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
10. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the research styles of Bernard and Hannah's characters, write an essay in which you determine whether one of them is a more responsible historian than the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates said, "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." Consider the concept of honor or honorable behavior in Stoppard's play, and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Socrates' quote, using evidence from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)