|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brice want Septimus to accept Chater's challenge?
2. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
3. In what year does the play begin?
4. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
5. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernard confirm that Byron visited Sidley Park?
2. What, according to Valentine, is iteration?
3. What effect does Hannah's discovery about Chater have on Bernard's article?
4. Why does Bernard cover his face before the photograph is taken for the newspaper?
5. What is Thomasina's major objection to Cleopatra's obsession with love and sex?
6. How does Septimus avoid a duel with Chater?
7. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
8. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
9. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
10. What is the relationship between Thomasina and Septimus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Especially in Act 2, Scene 7, the piano music and steam engine are overheard in the background. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of either one of these sounds to the message of the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of free will and determination in the play. Write an essay in which you explain the characters' views on both motifs, and how these motifs contribute to Stoppard's message in the play. Use specific examples of dialogue to support your ideas about the characters' views.
Essay Topic 3
According to Chloe, individual attraction is the one reason why determinism doesn't work as a theory. Consider the events of the play and defend, refute, or quality the accuracy of this sentiment.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)