|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
3. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
4. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
5. Who enters the scene uninvited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
2. Why is Hannah writing about the garden at Sidley Park?
3. What example of dramatic irony occurs between Septimus and Thomasina?
4. Why does Bernard cover his face before the photograph is taken for the newspaper?
5. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
6. How does Septimus avoid a duel with Chater?
7. Why is Gus considered a genius?
8. Why does Bernard leave the party?
9. Describe Thomasina's character.
10. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the two turtles mentioned in the play. Reviewing any mention of the turtles, write an essay in which you determine the symbolic meaning of the animals, and the reason for their constant presence onstage.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title "Arcadia," and Septimus' translation "Even in Arcadia, there am I," implying that death is present even in any idyllic setting. In what ways is Sidley Park a seemingly idyllic setting, and how does Septimus' translation impact that idea? Write an essay in which you explore both ideas, using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)