|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
2. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
3. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
4. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
5. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Bernard seek at Sidley Park?
2. Why is Gus considered a genius?
3. Describe Chloe's relationship with Bernard.
4. What has Hannah found for Bernard?
5. What, according to Valentine, is iteration?
6. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
7. What is the relationship between Thomasina and Septimus?
8. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
9. Explain Chloe's theory that sex thwarts the deterministic universe.
10. What has Hannah found in a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the research styles of Bernard and Hannah's characters, write an essay in which you determine whether one of them is a more responsible historian than the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
What do Stoppard's characters have to say about love and sex in his play? Using any one character's dialogue as support, write an essay in which you identify Stoppard's messages about love and sex.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of fate or determination in the play. Write an essay in which you use examples of seemingly fated or determined events in the play to explain the author's message.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)