Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. Describe Thomasina's character.
3. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
4. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
7. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
8. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
9. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
10. Describe Lady Croom's character.
Essay Topic 1
Stoppard's play explores classical and romantic understanding in several situations. Write an essay in which you determine whether Stoppard seems to favor one of these schools of thought over the other. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of fate or determination in the play. Write an essay in which you use examples of seemingly fated or determined events in the play to explain the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motifs of free will and determination in the play. Write an essay in which you explain the characters' views on both motifs, and how these motifs contribute to Stoppard's message in the play. Use specific examples of dialogue to support your ideas about the characters' views.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)