|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
2. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
3. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
4. In what year does the play begin?
5. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernard confirm that Byron visited Sidley Park?
2. Describe Valentine's view of Bernard's article.
3. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
4. What does Septimus' dialogue reveal about his character?
5. Describe Lady Croom's character.
6. What has Hannah found in a letter?
7. Describe Chater's character.
8. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
9. What events or ideas contribute to the humorous tone of the first scene?
10. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Consider the title "Arcadia," and Septimus' translation "Even in Arcadia, there am I," implying that death is present even in any idyllic setting. In what ways is Sidley Park a seemingly idyllic setting, and how does Septimus' translation impact that idea? Write an essay in which you explore both ideas, using examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2Compare and contrast Hannah and Bernard's attitudes towards academic research as they develop throughout the play. You may consider the extent of knowledge, interaction with historical documents, value of historical research, etc. that Hannah and Bernard represent in Stoppard's concept of academia.
Essay Topic 3Consider the two turtles mentioned in the play. Reviewing any mention of the turtles, write an essay in which you determine the symbolic meaning of the animals, and the reason for their constant presence onstage.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)