|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
2. What sounds end the scene?
3. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
4. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
5. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Septimus burn Byron's letter without reading it?
2. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
3. What is the relationship between Thomasina and Septimus?
4. What has Hannah found in a letter?
5. Why is Hannah interested in the hermit of Sidley Park?
6. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
7. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
8. What events or ideas contribute to the humorous tone of the first scene?
9. What information does Bernard seek at Sidley Park?
10. What has Chloe's mother done to help Bernard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stoppard use time to develop his message in "Arcadia?" Write an essay in which you determine and support Stoppard's message about time, using specific references to the author's mention and manipulation of time in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the two turtles mentioned in the play. Reviewing any mention of the turtles, write an essay in which you determine the symbolic meaning of the animals, and the reason for their constant presence onstage.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates said, "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." Consider the concept of honor or honorable behavior in Stoppard's play, and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Socrates' quote, using evidence from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)