Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. Describe Thomasina's character.
3. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
4. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
7. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
8. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
9. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
10. Describe Lady Croom's character.
Essay Topic 1
What forms of deception take place in Stoppard's play? Using examples of deception from the play, write an essay in determine the effect deception has on people, events, and ideas in Sidley Park.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the characters of Valentine and Septimus as character foils in Stoppard's play. Write an essay in which you identify their role in drawing out certain features of Hannah and Thomasina respectively.
Essay Topic 3
How does Stoppard use time to develop his message in "Arcadia?" Write an essay in which you determine and support Stoppard's message about time, using specific references to the author's mention and manipulation of time in the play.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)