|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chloe believes the deterministic universe cannot work because _____________________.
(a) Math will not allow it.
(b) Sex gets in the way.
(c) History gets in the way.
(d) Egos get in the way.
2. What does Hannah propose to do with the new information?
(a) Write a letter demanding an apology from Bernard.
(b) Write a letter in support of Bernard.
(c) Write a letter refuting Bernard's article.
(d) Write a letter apologizing to Bernard.
3. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
(a) She is educated beyond eligibility.
(b) She is too old to be found desireable.
(c) She is too sarcastic to be found desireable.
(d) She is too poor to be an eligible bride.
4. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
(a) A drawing of the hermit in his hermitage.
(b) A drawing of Septimus holding Plautus.
(c) A drawing of Septimus and Byron.
(d) A drawing of Septimus and Thomasina.
5. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
(a) That there is no mathematical equation for love
(b) That the universe moves from hot to cold, but not the other way around
(c) That math is reversable, but death is not
(d) That all life-- from grouse to human-- is unpredictable
Short Answer Questions
1. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
2. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
3. Why does Septimus say he cannot teach Thomasina to waltz?
4. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
5. What does Bernard suggest is incorrect about Hannah's first book?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)