|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(b) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
(c) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(d) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
2. Why will Bernard return to Sidley Park?
(a) For the dance.
(b) For the press conference.
(c) For the book signing.
(d) For further research.
3. Why does Septimus say he cannot teach Thomasina to waltz?
(a) Because she is not wearing shoes.
(b) Because he does not know how.
(c) Because the music playing is too slow for a waltz.
(d) Because there is no music playing.
4. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
(a) The covers would have revealed the actual dates.
(b) The covers would have revealed that Byron read them.
(c) The covers would have born Septimus' name, not Byron's.
(d) The covers would have revealed the author of the letters.
5. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He pleads with her.
(b) He threatens to leave her.
(c) He defends her.
(d) He flatters her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
2. How old is Thomasina at this point?
3. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
4. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
5. Valentine believes ___________________________________________.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)