|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard's dialogue reveals _____________________-.
(a) That Byron was never at Sidley Park.
(b) That Byron left England in a hurry.
(c) That Byron left the States in a hurry.
(d) That Byron fought Chater in a duel.
2. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Science vs. Art
(b) Good vs. Evil
(c) Fate vs. Free Will
(d) Rationality vs. Romanticism
3. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
(a) The hermit was actually Lord Byron.
(b) The hermit left Sidley Park after Byron did.
(c) Septimus and Lord Byron had a duel in 1809.
(d) Septimus and the hermit were born in the same year.
4. What is unusual about the staging in this scene?
(a) The period characters are wearing modern clothing.
(b) The modern and period characters appear simultaneously.
(c) The modern characters do not speak.
(d) The modern characters are interacting with the period characters.
5. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
(a) He would have to face Lord Byron.
(b) He would have to face Septimus.
(c) He would have to apologize to Lady Croom.
(d) He would have to apologize to Chater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Thomasina asks Septimus to meet her in her room, he _______________.
2. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
3. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
4. According to Lady Croom, who is in love with Mrs. Chater?
5. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)