|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(b) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(c) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
(d) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
2. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
(a) Chater died from a monkey bite
(b) Bernard has only proved that a duel was fought.
(c) He has not established that Byron was even there
(d) Byron was lame and could not shoot
3. What sounds end the scene?
(a) Piano music and the steam engine.
(b) A gun shot and crows crying.
(c) Violin music and crows crying.
(d) A gun shot and piano music.
4. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
5. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
(a) Manufactured images.
(c) Shapes in nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
2. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
3. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
4. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
5. What does Gus bring Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
2. How does Lady Croom's interpretation of "Et in Arcadia ego!" differ from Septimus'?
3. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
4. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
5. What has Hannah found for Bernard?
6. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
7. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
8. What, according to Valentine, is iteration?
9. Why does Thomasina get angry when Septimus translates from Latin?
10. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)