|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(b) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(c) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
(d) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
2. For what reason has Hannah enlisted Valentine in this scene?
(a) To translate a particularly difficult passage of Latin
(b) To help disprove Bernard's Byron theory
(c) To access a Croom family heirloom
(d) To explain Thomasina's math equations
3. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) Poetical Verses
(c) Lyrical Ballads
(d) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
4. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) Taking on another pupil.
(b) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(c) A second duel with Chater.
(d) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
5. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
(b) Romantic Poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
2. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
3. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
4. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
5. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
2. How does Chloe respond to Bernard's reading?
3. What mistake has Bernard made in researching the letters he found in Byron's book?
4. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
5. How does Septimus manage to placate Lady Croom about his own behavior?
6. What is Thomasina's major objection to Cleopatra's obsession with love and sex?
7. Describe Valentine's view of Bernard's article.
8. What major change has occurred since Septimus left the house the previous evening?
9. Why isn't Hannah interested in listening to Bernard read his article?
10. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)