|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(b) Poetical Verses
(c) Lyrical Ballads
(d) The Couch of Eros
2. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
(a) The ghost in the machine.
(b) The babe in the woods.
(c) The Baptist in the wilderness.
(d) The man in the moon.
3. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
(a) Attempts to change the subject.
(b) Attempts to offer a detailed explanation.
(c) Attempts to seduce her.
(d) Attempts to leave the room.
4. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
(b) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(c) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(d) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
5. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Free will and determination.
(b) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(c) Relativity and absolute truth.
(d) Ignorance and knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
2. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
3. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
4. What does Hannah's letter prove?
5. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
2. Why is Hannah interested in the hermit of Sidley Park?
3. What is the theory of heat exchange discussed in the scene?
4. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
5. Explain Chloe's theory that sex thwarts the deterministic universe.
6. What effect does Hannah's discovery about Chater have on Bernard's article?
7. What is Lady Croom's reason for inviting Septimus to her sitting room?
8. Why doesn't Bernard want Hannah to know his real name?
9. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
10. What does Septimus' dialogue reveal about his character?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)