|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
(b) A letter from Septimus
(c) The Couch of Eros
(d) The journal of Lord Byron
2. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
(a) She claims he is in love with Hannah.
(b) She claims he is leaving Sidley Park for good.
(c) She claims he has fought a duel.
(d) She claims he has information about her book.
3. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(a) Five o'clock
4. For what reason has Hannah enlisted Valentine in this scene?
(a) To help disprove Bernard's Byron theory
(b) To explain Thomasina's math equations
(c) To translate a particularly difficult passage of Latin
(d) To access a Croom family heirloom
5. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
(b) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
(c) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(d) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
2. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
3. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
4. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
5. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
2. What is the theory of heat exchange discussed in the scene?
3. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
4. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
5. Describe Thomasina's character.
6. Why is Lady Croom suddenly interested in the piano?
7. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
8. Why is Hannah writing about the garden at Sidley Park?
9. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
10. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)