|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hannah's letter prove?
(a) It proves that Byron duelled with Chater in 1809.
(b) It proves that Byron was dead by 1810.
(c) It proves that Chater was dead by 1810.
(d) It proves that Brice wanted to kill Byron.
2. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(b) Killer instinct.
(c) Gut instinct.
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
(a) The Couch of Eros.
(b) The Hound of the Baskervilles.
(c) The Origin of Species.
(d) The Raven.
4. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her preference in her studies.
(b) Her middle name.
(c) Her cooperation.
(d) Her age.
5. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah demand of Bernard that prompts him to call her a silly bitch?
2. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
3. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
4. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
5. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Noakes propose for the garden?
2. What has Hannah found in a letter?
3. Why have the Chaters and Captain Brice gone off together?
4. Describe Lady Croom's character.
5. What effect does Hannah's discovery about Chater have on Bernard's article?
6. What information does Bernard seek at Sidley Park?
7. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
8. Why does Septimus burn Byron's letter without reading it?
9. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
10. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)