|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
(b) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
(c) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(d) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
2. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
3. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(b) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
(c) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
(d) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
4. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
(a) The babe in the woods.
(b) The man in the moon.
(c) The Baptist in the wilderness.
(d) The ghost in the machine.
5. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) In the commode.
(d) In the closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
2. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
3. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
4. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
5. What sound recurs in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan of Byron's is objectionable to Lady Croom?
2. What major change has occurred since Septimus left the house the previous evening?
3. Why is Hannah writing about the garden at Sidley Park?
4. Why does Bernard cover his face before the photograph is taken for the newspaper?
5. What details of the duel does Septimus agree to?
6. Why couldn't Thomasina have carried out her calculations to completion?
7. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
8. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
9. How does Septimus manage to placate Lady Croom about his own behavior?
10. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)