|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
2. What is the one word Valentine repeats in her first two entrances?
3. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
(a) Talk Thomasina out of leaving.
(b) Talk Chater out of leaving.
(c) Talk Byron out of leaving.
(d) Talk Brice out of leaving.
4. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
(a) Impolite to her elders.
(b) Wealthier than her elders.
(c) Cleverer than her elders
(d) Disrespectful to her elders.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
(b) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
(c) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(d) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
2. Who enters the scene uninvited?
3. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
4. What sound recurs in this scene?
5. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
2. What "compact" has Septimus made with Thomasina in the hermitage?
3. What is Lady Croom's reason for inviting Septimus to her sitting room?
4. Describe Chloe's relationship with Bernard.
5. Why does Bernard leave the party?
6. What does Hannah plan to do about her discovery?
7. What has Chloe's mother done to help Bernard?
8. How does Septimus avoid a duel with Chater?
9. What example of dramatic irony occurs between Septimus and Thomasina?
10. Why doesn't Bernard want Hannah to know his real name?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)