|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
(a) Death is inevitable.
(b) Death be damned!
(c) Phooey to Death!
(d) Death cannot stop true love!
2. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Mrs. Chater.
(b) Mr. Chater.
(c) Mr. Noakes.
(d) Lady Croom.
3. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(c) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
(d) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
4. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(c) Lady Croom.
5. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Guitar music.
(b) Violin music.
(c) Cello music.
(d) Piano music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
2. What event is going to occur at Sidley Park?
3. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
4. What does Hannah's letter prove?
5. What is remarkable about Thomasina's math equations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thomasina's major objection to Cleopatra's obsession with love and sex?
2. Why isn't Hannah interested in listening to Bernard read his article?
3. What is Bernard's attitude about teaching?
4. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
5. What information does Bernard seek at Sidley Park?
6. Why does Thomasina suggest Septimus is churlish with her?
7. Why couldn't Thomasina have carried out her calculations to completion?
8. Why does Thomasina get angry when Septimus translates from Latin?
9. Describe Thomasina's character.
10. What events or ideas contribute to the humorous tone of the first scene?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)