|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
(a) Talk Thomasina out of leaving.
(b) Talk Brice out of leaving.
(c) Talk Byron out of leaving.
(d) Talk Chater out of leaving.
2. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A theodolite.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
3. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
(a) As a savant.
(b) As a sexist.
(c) As a genius.
(d) As a threat.
4. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) Piano music.
(c) A scream.
(d) The steam engine.
5. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(d) Lady Croom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
2. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
3. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
4. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
5. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernard confirm that Byron visited Sidley Park?
2. Why does Thomasina get angry when Septimus translates from Latin?
3. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
4. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
5. Why couldn't Thomasina have carried out her calculations to completion?
6. Why isn't Hannah interested in listening to Bernard read his article?
7. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
8. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
9. Describe Valentine's view of Bernard's article.
10. Why have the Chaters and Captain Brice gone off together?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)