|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
(a) Bernard has only proved that a duel was fought.
(b) He has not established that Byron was even there
(c) Chater died from a monkey bite
(d) Byron was lame and could not shoot
2. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(b) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
(c) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(d) That Septimus is a formidable shot
3. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(b) Five o'clock
4. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
(a) Valentine and Gus.
(b) Chloe and Valentine.
(c) Chloe and Bernard.
(d) Bernard and Gus.
5. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
(a) You can't always get what you want.
(b) You cannot stir things apart.
(c) You cannot create chaos from order.
(d) You cannot separate things permanently.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
2. What does Hannah demand of Bernard that prompts him to call her a silly bitch?
3. What sound recurs in this scene?
4. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
5. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
2. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
3. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
4. Why does Bernard cover his face before the photograph is taken for the newspaper?
5. Why couldn't Thomasina have carried out her calculations to completion?
6. Why doesn't Bernard want Hannah to know his real name?
7. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
8. Why is Lady Croom suddenly interested in the piano?
9. Describe Lady Croom's character.
10. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)