|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(c) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
(d) It was illegible.
2. Who is Mr. Noakes?
(a) The landscape architect.
(b) Mrs. Croom's brother.
(c) The butler.
(d) The tutor.
3. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) The steam engine.
(b) A scream.
(c) Piano music.
(d) A gun shot.
4. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Piano music.
(b) Guitar music.
(c) Cello music.
(d) Violin music.
5. What sound recurs in this scene?
(a) A radio.
(b) Gun shots.
(d) Violin music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
2. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
3. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
4. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
5. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lady Croom's reason for inviting Septimus to her sitting room?
2. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
3. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
4. Why does Septimus receive a challenge?
5. Why does Bernard leave the party?
6. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
7. What events or ideas contribute to the humorous tone of the first scene?
8. Why is Lady Croom suddenly interested in the piano?
9. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
10. Why have the Chaters and Captain Brice gone off together?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)