|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) In Thomasina's trainer.
(d) Underneath the table.
2. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
(b) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(c) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(d) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
3. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
(a) The proof is in the letter Hannah finds.
(b) The proof is in a game book that records him shooting a hare.
(c) The proof is in Bernard's book on Byron.
(d) the prrof is in Lady Croom's journal.
4. What sound recurs in this scene?
(a) Violin music.
(b) A radio.
(d) Gun shots.
5. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(b) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
(c) She is writing a history of the garden.
(d) She is writing a history of Noakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
2. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
3. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
4. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
5. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Hannah and Gus at the end of the scene?
2. What changes does Noakes propose for the garden?
3. Why does Bernard cover his face before the photograph is taken for the newspaper?
4. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
5. What does Hannah plan to do about her discovery?
6. What has Hannah found in a letter?
7. Why does Augustus join in Thomasina's drawing lesson?
8. Describe Valentine's view of Bernard's article.
9. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard has "bitten" Hannah?
10. What example of dramatic irony occurs between Septimus and Thomasina?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)