|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the scene uninvited?
2. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
3. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(b) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
(c) The three letters from Septimus' book.
(d) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
4. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
(a) Septimus' lack of mathematical vision
(b) The advances of Captain Brice
(c) The lost plays of of the Athenians and Aristotle's library.
(d) Augustus' endless teasing
5. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
(a) Piano music in the next room
(b) Clicking of a pen
(c) Mr. Noakes' engine
(d) Rifle fire
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
2. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
3. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
4. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
5. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gus considered a genius?
2. What, according to Valentine, is iteration?
3. What question does Bernard repeatedly ask throughout his reading?
4. Why isn't Hannah interested in listening to Bernard read his article?
5. What mistake has Bernard made in researching the letters he found in Byron's book?
6. What does Thomasina's theory about stirring jam into rice pudding represent to her?
7. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
8. What effect does Hannah's discovery about Chater have on Bernard's article?
9. Why does Septimus burn Byron's letter without reading it?
10. What is the theory of heat exchange discussed in the scene?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)