|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
2. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
(a) The babe in the woods.
(b) The ghost in the machine.
(c) The man in the moon.
(d) The Baptist in the wilderness.
3. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
(a) An apple.
(b) A book.
(c) Another turtle.
(d) Another letter.
4. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his name.
(b) He lies about his job.
(c) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(d) He lies about his work on Byron.
5. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
(a) The Origin of Species.
(b) The Hound of the Baskervilles.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The Couch of Eros.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
2. Where are the game books kept?
3. What sound recurs in this scene?
4. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
5. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Septimus' dialogue reveal about his character?
2. Why does Septimus receive a challenge?
3. Why is Hannah writing about the garden at Sidley Park?
4. Why doesn't Bernard want Hannah to know his real name?
5. Describe Thomasina's character.
6. Describe Lady Croom's character.
7. What major change has occurred since Septimus left the house the previous evening?
8. What events does Lady Croom relate about the previous evening?
9. Why couldn't Thomasina have carried out her calculations to completion?
10. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard has "bitten" Hannah?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)