|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Piano music.
(b) Guitar music.
(c) Cello music.
(d) Violin music.
2. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(b) He lies about his name.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his work on Byron.
3. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(b) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(c) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
4. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In Thomasina's trainer.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) Underneath the table.
(d) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
5. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
2. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
3. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
4. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
5. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Hannah's discovery about Chater have on Bernard's article?
2. Why does Septimus burn Byron's letter without reading it?
3. What, according to Valentine, is iteration?
4. Why does Bernard leave the party?
5. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
6. Explain Chloe's theory that sex thwarts the deterministic universe.
7. Why does Augustus return to Septimus at the end of Thomasina's lesson?
8. How does Septimus manage to placate Lady Croom about his own behavior?
9. Why isn't Septimus bothered by the lost plays of Aeschylus as Thomasina is?
10. How does Septimus avoid a duel with Chater?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)