|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
(a) Phooey to Death!
(b) Death is inevitable.
(c) Death be damned!
(d) Death cannot stop true love!
2. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
(a) Keep Thomasina in ignorance of certain matters.
(b) Inform Thomasina thoroughly in every matter.
(c) Guard Thomasina from gossip.
(d) Ignore Thomasina's requests for information.
3. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
4. Who is Mr. Noakes?
(a) The butler.
(b) The landscape architect.
(c) The tutor.
(d) Mrs. Croom's brother.
5. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A letter from Septimus
(b) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
(c) The journal of Lord Byron
(d) The Couch of Eros
Short Answer Questions
1. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
2. What is remarkable about Thomasina's math equations?
3. Where does the play take place?
4. What sounds end the scene?
5. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bernard's objection to Valentine's assertion that knowledge is all that matters?
2. What is Bernard's attitude about teaching?
3. Describe the relationship between Lady Croom and Thomasina.
4. Describe Valentine's view of Bernard's article.
5. Why has Thomasina come to see Septimus in the middle of the night?
6. What images has Thomasina captured in her drawing?
7. What are Lady Croom's major concerns for her daughter?
8. Describe Thomasina's character.
9. How does Lady Croom's interpretation of "Et in Arcadia ego!" differ from Septimus'?
10. What "compact" has Septimus made with Thomasina in the hermitage?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)