|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
(a) She is too poor to be an eligible bride.
(b) She is educated beyond eligibility.
(c) She is too old to be found desireable.
(d) She is too sarcastic to be found desireable.
2. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
(a) Proof for her theory that Septimus was the hermit.
(b) Proof for her theory that Bernard was wrong.
(c) Proof for her theory that the hermit never existed.
(d) Proof for her theory that Thomasina was a genius.
3. What article has Septimus loaned Byron?
(a) His copy of The Couch of Eros.
(b) His copy of Keats.
(c) His copy of The Maid of Turkey.
(d) His copy of Byron.
4. Bernard invites Hannah to London for ________.
(a) His lecture.
(b) A book tour.
(c) More research.
5. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
(a) That there is no mathematical equation for love
(b) That the universe moves from hot to cold, but not the other way around
(c) That math is reversable, but death is not
(d) That all life-- from grouse to human-- is unpredictable
6. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
(a) A rabid dog.
(b) A bull in a china shop.
(c) A lamb among lions.
(d) A rooster in the henhouse.
7. When Thomasina suggests they must hurry to dance, Septimus responds that __________________.
(a) It would be improper for them to dance.
(b) They have time.
(c) They cannot waltz to the current song.
(d) They do not have time before her mother returns.
8. When Thomasina asks Septimus to meet her in her room, he _______________.
(b) Kisses her.
(d) Gets angry.
9. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
(a) Give him credit for editing the Bernard's book.
(b) Give him credit for proving Chater was dead in 1810.
(c) Give him credit for finding the game book.
(d) Give him credit for proving Byron killed Chater.
10. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He flatters her.
(b) He defends her.
(c) He pleads with her.
(d) He threatens to leave her.
11. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
(b) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(c) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(d) Science is the countenance of God's creation
12. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
(a) A drawing of Septimus holding Plautus.
(b) A drawing of Septimus and Byron.
(c) A drawing of the hermit in his hermitage.
(d) A drawing of Septimus and Thomasina.
13. What does Hannah propose to do with the new information?
(a) Write a letter apologizing to Bernard.
(b) Write a letter refuting Bernard's article.
(c) Write a letter in support of Bernard.
(d) Write a letter demanding an apology from Bernard.
14. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
(a) That she is adopted
(b) That she is secretly a genius
(c) That she kissed Septimus
(d) That she is in love with Byron
15. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
(a) They are being photgraphed for Bernard's article.
(b) They are reenacting Thomasina and Septimus' story.
(c) They are being photographed before the dance.
(d) They are being photographed for Chloe's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valentine working on at the beginning of this scene?
2. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
3. According to Chole, what is the flaw in the theory of the deterministic universe?
4. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
5. According to Hannah, how is the study of history like science?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)