|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Valentine looking for?
(a) Thomasina's drawing of the hermit.
(b) Thomasina's turtle.
(c) Thomasina's diagram.
(d) Thomasina's essay.
2. Bernard calls Hannah's first book _________________.
(a) A novelette.
(b) A romance novel.
(c) A work of historical value.
(d) A work of fiction.
3. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
(a) Proof for her theory that Septimus was the hermit.
(b) Proof for her theory that Thomasina was a genius.
(c) Proof for her theory that Bernard was wrong.
(d) Proof for her theory that the hermit never existed.
4. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
(a) She believes he will find validation in the afterlife
(b) The benefits of his discovery will save lives and improve society
(c) The struggle to know is what makes us matter
(d) The completion of his work will validate Thomasina's genius
5. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(b) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
(c) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(d) He wants her to explain Determinism.
6. Why does Septimus burn Lord Byron's letter?
(a) Because the letter offends Septimus.
(b) Because the letter was addressed to Lady Croom.
(c) Because the letter offends Lady Croom.
(d) Because the letter is meant for Thomasina.
7. Why doesn't Lord Croom hear the commotion during the night?
(a) He is too far away to hear the commotion.
(b) He is half-deaf from years of shooting.
(c) He is not interested in the actions of his guests.
(d) He is half-deaf from advanced age.
8. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
(a) The hermit was actually Lord Byron.
(b) Septimus and the hermit were born in the same year.
(c) The hermit left Sidley Park after Byron did.
(d) Septimus and Lord Byron had a duel in 1809.
9. Who has gone by morning?
(a) Brice, the Chaters, and Byron.
(b) Only the Chaters.
(c) Brice and the Chaters.
(d) Only Byron.
10. Why won't Valentine drive Bernard home from Sidley Park?
(a) Valentine wants Chloe to drive Bernard.
(b) Valentine is too drunk to drive.
(c) Valentine sold his car.
(d) Valentine is too angry to drive Bernard.
11. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
(a) The covers would have revealed the actual dates.
(b) The covers would have revealed that Byron read them.
(c) The covers would have revealed the author of the letters.
(d) The covers would have born Septimus' name, not Byron's.
12. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
13. What does Augustus question Septimus about?
14. According to Lady Croom, who is in love with Mrs. Chater?
(a) Lord Croom.
(b) Captain Brice.
(c) Lord Byron.
15. What is Lady Croom unhappy about?
(a) The affair she is having with Septimus.
(b) The damage Noakes has done to her garden.
(c) The damage Noakes has done to her piano.
(d) The affair she is having with Noakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
2. Why does Hannah slap Bernard?
3. What is the only science God has seen fit to bestow on man, according to Septimus?
4. What does Bernard suggest is incorrect about Hannah's first book?
5. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)