|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
(a) A theodolite.
(b) A microscope.
(c) A thesaurus.
(d) A dictionary.
2. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Rationality vs. Romanticism
(b) Science vs. Art
(c) Fate vs. Free Will
(d) Good vs. Evil
3. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
(a) Give him credit for finding the game book.
(b) Give him credit for proving Byron killed Chater.
(c) Give him credit for proving Chater was dead in 1810.
(d) Give him credit for editing the Bernard's book.
4. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain Determinism.
(b) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(c) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
(d) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
5. Why won't Valentine drive Bernard home from Sidley Park?
(a) Valentine wants Chloe to drive Bernard.
(b) Valentine sold his car.
(c) Valentine is too angry to drive Bernard.
(d) Valentine is too drunk to drive.
6. Chloe believes the deterministic universe cannot work because _____________________.
(a) Egos get in the way.
(b) History gets in the way.
(c) Sex gets in the way.
(d) Math will not allow it.
7. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from an alligator bite.
(b) He died from a dog bite.
(c) He died from a spider bite.
(d) He died from a monkey bite.
8. Where does Hannah find proof that Bernard's theory is incorrect?
(a) In Noakes' garden sketches.
(b) In Lady Croom's garden book.
(c) In Lady Croom's letter from Septimus.
(d) In Thomasina's portfolio.
9. Why is Lady Croom upset with Byron?
(a) She caught Byron leaving Thomasina's room.
(b) She caught Thomasina leaving his room.
(c) She caught Mrs. Chater leaving his room.
(d) She caught Byron leaving Mrs. Chater's room.
10. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
(a) Were caught leaving together.
(b) Were caught together by Chloe's father.
(c) Were caught falsifying his research.
(d) Were caught together by Chloe's mother.
11. Why is Lady Croom upset with Septimus?
(a) Because he has written a bad review of Byron's poem.
(b) Because he has written her a love letter in the event of his death.
(c) Because he has written Thomasina a love letter in the event of his death.
(d) Because he has written a bad review of Chater's poem.
12. How has Lady Croom punished her brother for choosing his acquaintances unwisely?
13. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
(a) He has questioned her research.
(b) He has no proof.
(c) He will not concede any of her points.
(d) He is a sexist.
14. What sound effect signals a change in eras?
(c) The music fades away.
(d) The music grows modern.
15. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
(a) He would have to apologize to Chater.
(b) He would have to apologize to Lady Croom.
(c) He would have to face Septimus.
(d) He would have to face Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
2. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
3. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
4. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
5. Why will Bernard return to Sidley Park?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)