|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
(a) A drawing of Septimus and Byron.
(b) A drawing of the hermit in his hermitage.
(c) A drawing of Septimus holding Plautus.
(d) A drawing of Septimus and Thomasina.
2. Where does Hannah find proof that Bernard's theory is incorrect?
(a) In Lady Croom's garden book.
(b) In Noakes' garden sketches.
(c) In Thomasina's portfolio.
(d) In Lady Croom's letter from Septimus.
3. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
(a) Reading his manuscript.
(b) Reading Hannah's manuscript.
(c) Reading Lady Croom's letters.
(d) Reading Byron's journal.
4. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
(a) It is the last day of Septimus' employment.
(b) It is the last day of her life.
(c) It is her seventeenth birthday.
(d) It is her sixteenth birthday.
5. How are the modern characters dressed differently in this scene?
(a) They are wearing Regency clothing.
(b) They are wearing Elizabethan clothing.
(c) They are wearing Victorian clothing.
(d) They are wearing Edwardian clothing.
6. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
(a) She isn't smart enough to understand.
(b) She doesn't care.
(c) She never believed in him.
(d) She wasn't there.
7. Bernard's dialogue reveals _____________________-.
(a) That Byron fought Chater in a duel.
(b) That Byron left England in a hurry.
(c) That Byron left the States in a hurry.
(d) That Byron was never at Sidley Park.
8. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He threatens to leave her.
(b) He pleads with her.
(c) He defends her.
(d) He flatters her.
9. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are angry with him.
(b) They don't understand him.
(c) They are trying to steal his ideas.
(d) They are jealous.
10. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
(a) He would have to face Lord Byron.
(b) He would have to apologize to Chater.
(c) He would have to apologize to Lady Croom.
(d) He would have to face Septimus.
11. Why does Hannah slap Bernard?
(a) He insults Chloe.
(b) He proposes she leave with him.
(c) He insults her research.
(d) She misunderstands a statement he makes.
12. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from a dog bite.
(b) He died from an alligator bite.
(c) He died from a spider bite.
(d) He died from a monkey bite.
13. How old is Thomasina at this point?
(a) Seventeen and a half.
(b) Sixteen and eleven months.
(d) Sixteen and a half.
14. Why doesn't Lord Croom hear the commotion during the night?
(a) He is half-deaf from advanced age.
(b) He is too far away to hear the commotion.
(c) He is not interested in the actions of his guests.
(d) He is half-deaf from years of shooting.
15. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
(a) He is a sexist.
(b) He will not concede any of her points.
(c) He has questioned her research.
(d) He has no proof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the staging in this scene?
2. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
3. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
4. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
5. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)