|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(b) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(c) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(d) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
2. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
(a) They are being photographed for Hannah's book.
(b) They are being interviewed for the local paper.
(c) They are being photographed for the local paper.
(d) They are being photographed for Bernard's book.
3. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
4. What is Septimus doing while the others sleep?
(a) He is reading Noakes' garden plans.
(b) He is reading Thomasina's essay.
(c) He is reading Chater's poetry.
(d) He is reading Byron's poetry.
5. What is unusual about the staging in this scene?
(a) The modern characters do not speak.
(b) The modern characters are interacting with the period characters.
(c) The modern and period characters appear simultaneously.
(d) The period characters are wearing modern clothing.
6. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(c) Lord Byron.
7. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
(a) She doesn't care.
(b) She wasn't there.
(c) She never believed in him.
(d) She isn't smart enough to understand.
8. Valentine describes Thomasina's diagram as ___________________.
(a) A diagram of chaos and order.
(b) A diagram of positive and negative charges.
(c) A diagram of heat exchange.
(d) A diagram of the future.
9. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
(a) A dog howling.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) A steam engine.
(d) A train's whistle.
10. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
(a) Proof for her theory that Thomasina was a genius.
(b) Proof for her theory that Bernard was wrong.
(c) Proof for her theory that Septimus was the hermit.
(d) Proof for her theory that the hermit never existed.
11. Who is Lady Croom's latest lover?
(a) Count Zelinsky.
12. What is the only science God has seen fit to bestow on man, according to Septimus?
13. How are the modern characters dressed differently in this scene?
(a) They are wearing Regency clothing.
(b) They are wearing Victorian clothing.
(c) They are wearing Edwardian clothing.
(d) They are wearing Elizabethan clothing.
14. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
(a) Were caught leaving together.
(b) Were caught falsifying his research.
(c) Were caught together by Chloe's mother.
(d) Were caught together by Chloe's father.
15. Why does Septimus say he cannot teach Thomasina to waltz?
(a) Because there is no music playing.
(b) Because he does not know how.
(c) Because she is not wearing shoes.
(d) Because the music playing is too slow for a waltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard states that the drama of life at Sidley Park was about __________________-.
2. When Thomasina suggests they must hurry to dance, Septimus responds that __________________.
3. What is the title of Bernard's publication?
4. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
5. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)