|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
(a) Give him credit for editing the Bernard's book.
(b) Give him credit for proving Chater was dead in 1810.
(c) Give him credit for proving Byron killed Chater.
(d) Give him credit for finding the game book.
2. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are angry with him.
(b) They are trying to steal his ideas.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They don't understand him.
3. Why doesn't Lord Croom hear the commotion during the night?
(a) He is not interested in the actions of his guests.
(b) He is half-deaf from years of shooting.
(c) He is half-deaf from advanced age.
(d) He is too far away to hear the commotion.
4. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for a bath later.
(b) Join her in her sitting room later.
(c) Join her in the gazebo later.
(d) Join her for dinner later.
5. Where does Hannah find proof that Bernard's theory is incorrect?
(a) In Noakes' garden sketches.
(b) In Lady Croom's letter from Septimus.
(c) In Thomasina's portfolio.
(d) In Lady Croom's garden book.
6. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from a spider bite.
(b) He died from a dog bite.
(c) He died from a monkey bite.
(d) He died from an alligator bite.
7. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
(a) A dog barking.
(b) A steam engine.
(c) A dog howling.
(d) A train's whistle.
8. What does Thomasina do to Septimus?
(a) She draws him out of the room.
(b) She blows out his oil lamp.
(c) She takes his hand.
(d) She kisses him.
9. What does Augustus question Septimus about?
10. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
(a) So he can have an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(b) So he can avoid a duel with Septimus.
(c) So he can avoid a duel with Chater.
(d) So he can be sure Chater is killed.
11. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
(a) The importance of the action.
(b) The ability to repeat the action.
(c) The heat created by it.
(d) The damage created by it.
12. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
(a) He is a sexist.
(b) He will not concede any of her points.
(c) He has no proof.
(d) He has questioned her research.
13. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
(a) They are being photographed for Bernard's book.
(b) They are being photographed for the local paper.
(c) They are being interviewed for the local paper.
(d) They are being photographed for Hannah's book.
14. Chloe believes the deterministic universe cannot work because _____________________.
(a) Math will not allow it.
(b) History gets in the way.
(c) Egos get in the way.
(d) Sex gets in the way.
15. Valentine believes ___________________________________________.
(a) That science is trivial, and only personalities matter.
(b) That math is trivial, and only science matters.
(c) That personalities are trivial, and only science matters.
(d) That history is trivial, and only math matters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
2. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
3. Who has gone by morning?
4. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
5. What does Bernard suggest is incorrect about Hannah's first book?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)