|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
(a) He has no proof.
(b) He is a sexist.
(c) He has questioned her research.
(d) He will not concede any of her points.
2. According to Chole, what is the flaw in the theory of the deterministic universe?
(a) It ignores God's role in designing free will
(b) The universe gradually moves from order to chaos
(c) Thomasina's math equations are wrong
(d) Sexual attraction breaks down the order
3. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from a monkey bite.
(b) He died from a spider bite.
(c) He died from an alligator bite.
(d) He died from a dog bite.
4. What is Lady Croom unhappy about?
(a) The affair she is having with Noakes.
(b) The damage Noakes has done to her garden.
(c) The damage Noakes has done to her piano.
(d) The affair she is having with Septimus.
5. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Good vs. Evil
(b) Rationality vs. Romanticism
(c) Science vs. Art
(d) Fate vs. Free Will
6. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
(a) The hermit was actually Lord Byron.
(b) Septimus and Lord Byron had a duel in 1809.
(c) Septimus and the hermit were born in the same year.
(d) The hermit left Sidley Park after Byron did.
7. What does Thomasina do to Septimus?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She blows out his oil lamp.
(c) She draws him out of the room.
(d) She takes his hand.
8. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
(a) Give him credit for finding the game book.
(b) Give him credit for editing the Bernard's book.
(c) Give him credit for proving Chater was dead in 1810.
(d) Give him credit for proving Byron killed Chater.
9. What is unusual about the staging in this scene?
(a) The modern characters do not speak.
(b) The modern and period characters appear simultaneously.
(c) The modern characters are interacting with the period characters.
(d) The period characters are wearing modern clothing.
10. According to Hannah, how is the study of history like science?
(a) Both seek to create universal laws
(b) Both rely on rigorous experimentation
(c) Both believe things can't be proved true, only not to be false yet
(d) Both have no room for romantic feelings
11. What does Augustus question Septimus about?
12. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are trying to steal his ideas.
(b) They don't understand him.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are angry with him.
13. Why doesn't Lord Croom hear the commotion during the night?
(a) He is too far away to hear the commotion.
(b) He is half-deaf from years of shooting.
(c) He is not interested in the actions of his guests.
(d) He is half-deaf from advanced age.
14. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
(a) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(b) He has written the exact same letter to Mrs. Chater.
(c) The letter is badly written.
(d) He has written other women love letters as well.
15. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(b) Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
2. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
3. Who has gone by morning?
4. Hannah leaves because ____________________________.
5. Hannah does not want to be called ______________.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)