|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
(a) He would have to apologize to Lady Croom.
(b) He would have to face Lord Byron.
(c) He would have to face Septimus.
(d) He would have to apologize to Chater.
2. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
(a) The covers would have revealed that Byron read them.
(b) The covers would have born Septimus' name, not Byron's.
(c) The covers would have revealed the actual dates.
(d) The covers would have revealed the author of the letters.
3. Why will Bernard return to Sidley Park?
(a) For the book signing.
(b) For further research.
(c) For the press conference.
(d) For the dance.
4. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
5. What is Valentine working on at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Writing a letter to the editor protesting Bernard's findings
(b) Looking through the game book for information on Grouses
(c) Pushing Thomasina's equations through his computer
(d) Planning his proposal to Hannah
6. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
(a) That she is adopted
(b) That she is in love with Byron
(c) That she kissed Septimus
(d) That she is secretly a genius
7. What does Hannah propose to do with the new information?
(a) Write a letter in support of Bernard.
(b) Write a letter demanding an apology from Bernard.
(c) Write a letter refuting Bernard's article.
(d) Write a letter apologizing to Bernard.
8. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
(a) Were caught leaving together.
(b) Were caught falsifying his research.
(c) Were caught together by Chloe's father.
(d) Were caught together by Chloe's mother.
9. Hannah leaves because ____________________________.
(a) She has found proof to support Bernard's claim.
(b) She has found proof to refute Bernard's claim.
(c) She has found proof of Lady Croom's affair with Byron.
(d) She had found proof that Septimus was the hermit.
10. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
(a) They are being photographed for the local paper.
(b) They are being photographed for Hannah's book.
(c) They are being photographed for Bernard's book.
(d) They are being interviewed for the local paper.
11. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
(a) Proof for her theory that Bernard was wrong.
(b) Proof for her theory that Thomasina was a genius.
(c) Proof for her theory that Septimus was the hermit.
(d) Proof for her theory that the hermit never existed.
12. What does Lady Croom ask Jellaby to bring her?
(a) Her indecision.
(b) Her incision.
(c) Her invitation.
(d) Her infusion.
13. Valentine is _____________.
14. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(b) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
(c) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(d) He wants her to explain Determinism.
15. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(b) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(c) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(d) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't Noakes provide for the garden?
2. In what style of dress are the Crooms attired as the scene opens?
3. How old is Thomasina at this point?
4. Who is Lady Croom's latest lover?
5. Septimus apologizes for ______________________________.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)