|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
(a) It is the last day of her life.
(b) It is her seventeenth birthday.
(c) It is the last day of Septimus' employment.
(d) It is her sixteenth birthday.
2. What can't Noakes provide for the garden?
(a) A hermit for the hermitage.
(b) Flowers for the flowerbed.
(c) Rocks for the cliff.
(d) Water for the waterfall.
3. What sound effect signals a change in eras?
(b) The music fades away.
(d) The music grows modern.
4. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for dinner later.
(b) Join her for a bath later.
(c) Join her in the gazebo later.
(d) Join her in her sitting room later.
5. Valentine describes Thomasina's diagram as ___________________.
(a) A diagram of positive and negative charges.
(b) A diagram of chaos and order.
(c) A diagram of heat exchange.
(d) A diagram of the future.
6. What is Bernard's response to Hannah's statement that she has a theory but cannot prove it?
(a) He tells her to wait until she finds proof.
(b) He tells her no good theory can be proven.
(c) He tells her she will never publish because she is too timid.
(d) He tells her to publish it.
7. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain Determinism.
(b) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(c) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(d) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
8. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
(a) She is trying to prove he is wrong.
(b) She is objecting to his offensive language.
(c) She is objecting to unsupported statements.
(d) She is afraid to interrupt him aloud.
9. Bernard states that the drama of life at Sidley Park was about __________________-.
(a) Sex and history.
(b) Literature and philosophy.
(c) Philosophy and poetry.
(d) Sex and literature.
10. What does Bernard learn about his theory of Byron and the supposed duel with Chater?
(a) He learns that Chater and Byron were actually friends.
(b) He learns that Chater killed Byron at Sidley Park.
(c) He learns that Chater was not killed at Sidley Park.
(d) He learns that Chater and Byron were not at Sidley Park at the same time.
11. What tabloid headline does Hannah share with the Crooms?
(a) Bonking Byron Shot Poet
(b) Mad Monkey Bites Back
(c) Child Prodigy Solves Apple Leaf
(d) Sex, Literature, and Death at Sidley Park
12. What scientific constant fascinates Valentine?
(a) That all life-- from grouse to human-- is unpredictable
(b) That the universe moves from hot to cold, but not the other way around
(c) That math is reversable, but death is not
(d) That there is no mathematical equation for love
13. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
(a) A pansy.
(b) A mum.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A dahlia.
14. According to Lady Croom, who is in love with Mrs. Chater?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Lord Croom.
(d) Captain Brice.
15. According to Hannah, how is the study of history like science?
(a) Both seek to create universal laws
(b) Both believe things can't be proved true, only not to be false yet
(c) Both have no room for romantic feelings
(d) Both rely on rigorous experimentation
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
2. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
3. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
4. Why does Hannah slap Bernard?
5. Hannah does not want to be called ______________.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)