|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Valentine looking for?
(a) Thomasina's diagram.
(b) Thomasina's turtle.
(c) Thomasina's drawing of the hermit.
(d) Thomasina's essay.
2. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
(a) She never believed in him.
(b) She wasn't there.
(c) She doesn't care.
(d) She isn't smart enough to understand.
3. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are jealous.
(b) They are angry with him.
(c) They don't understand him.
(d) They are trying to steal his ideas.
4. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) A theodolite.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A thesaurus.
5. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
(a) A dog barking.
(b) A dog howling.
(c) A train's whistle.
(d) A steam engine.
6. Bernard calls Hannah's first book _________________.
(a) A work of fiction.
(b) A novelette.
(c) A romance novel.
(d) A work of historical value.
7. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
(a) They are being photgraphed for Bernard's article.
(b) They are being photographed for Chloe's wedding.
(c) They are reenacting Thomasina and Septimus' story.
(d) They are being photographed before the dance.
8. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(c) Lord Byron.
9. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from an alligator bite.
(b) He died from a dog bite.
(c) He died from a monkey bite.
(d) He died from a spider bite.
10. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(b) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(c) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(d) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
11. What is the title of Bernard's publication?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) Byron's duel, and the hidden genius of Ezra Chater
(c) Even in Arcadia--Sex, Literature, and Death at Sidley Park
(d) The wit and wisdom of Thomasina Croom
12. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
(a) She hid the formulas so no one would be able to decipher it.
(b) She did not have time to complete it.
(c) She did not care enough about the subject to take it seriously.
(d) She did not have the mathematical knowledge to complete it.
13. Why does Septimus say he cannot teach Thomasina to waltz?
(a) Because she is not wearing shoes.
(b) Because the music playing is too slow for a waltz.
(c) Because he does not know how.
(d) Because there is no music playing.
14. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
(a) A pansy.
(b) A dahlia.
(c) A mum.
(d) A daisy.
15. Septimus apologizes for ______________________________.
(a) Bringing an unworthy friend to Lady Croom's home.
(b) Bringing Chater to Byron's room.
(c) Bringing an unworthy lover to Mrs. Croom.
(d) Bringing Byron to Mrs. Chater's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hannah's quoting of Byron's poetry suggests what to Valentine?
2. Valentine describes Thomasina's diagram as ___________________.
3. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
4. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
5. What is Lady Croom unhappy about?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)