|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only science God has seen fit to bestow on man, according to Septimus?
2. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
(a) A drawing of the hermit in his hermitage.
(b) A drawing of Septimus holding Plautus.
(c) A drawing of Septimus and Byron.
(d) A drawing of Septimus and Thomasina.
3. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
(a) So he can avoid a duel with Chater.
(b) So he can have an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) So he can be sure Chater is killed.
(d) So he can avoid a duel with Septimus.
4. Where does Hannah find proof that Bernard's theory is incorrect?
(a) In Lady Croom's garden book.
(b) In Thomasina's portfolio.
(c) In Noakes' garden sketches.
(d) In Lady Croom's letter from Septimus.
5. Chloe believes the deterministic universe cannot work because _____________________.
(a) Sex gets in the way.
(b) Egos get in the way.
(c) Math will not allow it.
(d) History gets in the way.
6. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
(a) A pansy.
(b) A dahlia.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A mum.
7. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
(a) A microscope.
(b) A thesaurus.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) A theodolite.
8. Bernard invites Hannah to London for ________.
(a) His lecture.
(b) More research.
(d) A book tour.
9. What does Augustus question Septimus about?
10. What does Lady Croom ask Jellaby to bring her?
(a) Her infusion.
(b) Her invitation.
(c) Her incision.
(d) Her indecision.
11. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
(a) Reading his manuscript.
(b) Reading Lady Croom's letters.
(c) Reading Byron's journal.
(d) Reading Hannah's manuscript.
12. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
(a) The hermit left Sidley Park after Byron did.
(b) The hermit was actually Lord Byron.
(c) Septimus and the hermit were born in the same year.
(d) Septimus and Lord Byron had a duel in 1809.
13. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
(a) A lamb among lions.
(b) A rabid dog.
(c) A bull in a china shop.
(d) A rooster in the henhouse.
14. Why does Septimus burn Lord Byron's letter?
(a) Because the letter is meant for Thomasina.
(b) Because the letter was addressed to Lady Croom.
(c) Because the letter offends Septimus.
(d) Because the letter offends Lady Croom.
15. Bernard states that the drama of life at Sidley Park was about __________________-.
(a) Philosophy and poetry.
(b) Sex and literature.
(c) Literature and philosophy.
(d) Sex and history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
2. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
3. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
4. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
5. What is Bernard's response to Hannah's statement that she has a theory but cannot prove it?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)