|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
(a) The letter is badly written.
(b) He has written other women love letters as well.
(c) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) He has written the exact same letter to Mrs. Chater.
2. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(d) Lord Byron.
3. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are trying to steal his ideas.
(b) They don't understand him.
(c) They are angry with him.
(d) They are jealous.
4. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
(b) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(c) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(d) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
5. How old is Thomasina at this point?
(a) Seventeen and a half.
(c) Sixteen and a half.
(d) Sixteen and eleven months.
6. Why is Lady Croom upset with Byron?
(a) She caught Mrs. Chater leaving his room.
(b) She caught Byron leaving Thomasina's room.
(c) She caught Byron leaving Mrs. Chater's room.
(d) She caught Thomasina leaving his room.
7. Valentine is _____________.
8. Hannah's quoting of Byron's poetry suggests what to Valentine?
(a) Byron and Septimus may share a similar genius
(b) Byron was not as talented as history suggests
(c) Septimus may have secretly written much of Byron's poetry
(d) Thomasina was more brilliant than both men
9. Why will Bernard return to Sidley Park?
(a) For the press conference.
(b) For the book signing.
(c) For further research.
(d) For the dance.
10. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Fate vs. Free Will
(b) Good vs. Evil
(c) Rationality vs. Romanticism
(d) Science vs. Art
11. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
(a) The ability to repeat the action.
(b) The heat created by it.
(c) The importance of the action.
(d) The damage created by it.
12. What is the difficulty with Thomasina's diagram?
(a) She did not have time to complete it.
(b) She hid the formulas so no one would be able to decipher it.
(c) She did not have the mathematical knowledge to complete it.
(d) She did not care enough about the subject to take it seriously.
13. What is Thomasina wearing when she enters?
(a) Regency clothing.
(b) Modern clothing.
(c) Travelling clothes.
(d) A nightgown.
14. What does Hannah discover in the book Bernard has given her?
(a) Septimus and Lord Byron had a duel in 1809.
(b) The hermit left Sidley Park after Byron did.
(c) The hermit was actually Lord Byron.
(d) Septimus and the hermit were born in the same year.
15. How did Chater actually die?
(a) He died from a monkey bite.
(b) He died from an alligator bite.
(c) He died from a dog bite.
(d) He died from a spider bite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
2. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
3. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
4. Where does Hannah find proof that Bernard's theory is incorrect?
5. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)