|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for a bath later.
(b) Join her in her sitting room later.
(c) Join her in the gazebo later.
(d) Join her for dinner later.
2. What does Hannah insist she will find at the end of the scene?
(a) Proof for her theory that Bernard was wrong.
(b) Proof for her theory that the hermit never existed.
(c) Proof for her theory that Thomasina was a genius.
(d) Proof for her theory that Septimus was the hermit.
3. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
(a) They are being photgraphed for Bernard's article.
(b) They are being photographed for Chloe's wedding.
(c) They are reenacting Thomasina and Septimus' story.
(d) They are being photographed before the dance.
4. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
(a) She is objecting to his offensive language.
(b) She is trying to prove he is wrong.
(c) She is objecting to unsupported statements.
(d) She is afraid to interrupt him aloud.
5. What article has Septimus loaned Byron?
(a) His copy of The Maid of Turkey.
(b) His copy of Byron.
(c) His copy of Keats.
(d) His copy of The Couch of Eros.
6. What sound occurs in this part of the scene?
(a) A steam engine.
(b) A dog howling.
(c) A train's whistle.
(d) A dog barking.
7. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain Determinism.
(b) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(c) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(d) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
8. According to Lady Croom, who is in love with Mrs. Chater?
(a) Lord Croom.
(b) Captain Brice.
(c) Lord Byron.
9. What does Hannah propose to do with the new information?
(a) Write a letter refuting Bernard's article.
(b) Write a letter in support of Bernard.
(c) Write a letter apologizing to Bernard.
(d) Write a letter demanding an apology from Bernard.
10. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
(a) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(b) He has written other women love letters as well.
(c) He has written the exact same letter to Mrs. Chater.
(d) The letter is badly written.
11. What objectionable article does Mrs. Chater wear?
(a) A corset.
(c) A hoop skirt.
(d) A girdle.
12. Why won't Valentine drive Bernard home from Sidley Park?
(a) Valentine wants Chloe to drive Bernard.
(b) Valentine is too angry to drive Bernard.
(c) Valentine sold his car.
(d) Valentine is too drunk to drive.
13. Valentine describes Thomasina's diagram as ___________________.
(a) A diagram of the future.
(b) A diagram of chaos and order.
(c) A diagram of positive and negative charges.
(d) A diagram of heat exchange.
14. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
(a) A theodolite.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A thesaurus.
15. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
(a) The damage created by it.
(b) The heat created by it.
(c) The importance of the action.
(d) The ability to repeat the action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
2. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
3. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
4. Why does Hannah suggest an afterlife would be a mixed blessing for Bernard?
5. According to Hannah, how is the study of history like science?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)