|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Noakes provide for the garden?
(a) Flowers for the flowerbed.
(b) A hermit for the hermitage.
(c) Water for the waterfall.
(d) Rocks for the cliff.
2. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
(a) A drawing of Septimus and Byron.
(b) A drawing of the hermit in his hermitage.
(c) A drawing of Septimus and Thomasina.
(d) A drawing of Septimus holding Plautus.
3. What is the title of Bernard's publication?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) Even in Arcadia--Sex, Literature, and Death at Sidley Park
(c) The wit and wisdom of Thomasina Croom
(d) Byron's duel, and the hidden genius of Ezra Chater
4. Chloe believes the others won't support Bernard's theory because __________________.
(a) They are angry with him.
(b) They don't understand him.
(c) They are trying to steal his ideas.
(d) They are jealous.
5. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Science vs. Art
(b) Fate vs. Free Will
(c) Good vs. Evil
(d) Rationality vs. Romanticism
6. When Thomasina asks Septimus to meet her in her room, he _______________.
(a) Gets angry.
(d) Kisses her.
7. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
(a) It is her seventeenth birthday.
(b) It is the last day of her life.
(c) It is her sixteenth birthday.
(d) It is the last day of Septimus' employment.
8. What is Thomasina wearing when she enters?
(a) Regency clothing.
(b) A nightgown.
(c) Modern clothing.
(d) Travelling clothes.
9. Why is it significant that the covers to the letters from Mrs. Chater have not survived?
(a) The covers would have revealed the author of the letters.
(b) The covers would have revealed the actual dates.
(c) The covers would have revealed that Byron read them.
(d) The covers would have born Septimus' name, not Byron's.
10. How old is Thomasina at this point?
(a) Sixteen and eleven months.
(b) Seventeen and a half.
(c) Sixteen and a half.
11. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He defends her.
(b) He threatens to leave her.
(c) He flatters her.
(d) He pleads with her.
12. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for dinner later.
(b) Join her in her sitting room later.
(c) Join her for a bath later.
(d) Join her in the gazebo later.
13. What is Valentine looking for?
(a) Thomasina's drawing of the hermit.
(b) Thomasina's turtle.
(c) Thomasina's essay.
(d) Thomasina's diagram.
14. What plant betrays Bernard's theory about Byron and the duel?
(a) A daisy.
(b) A mum.
(c) A pansy.
(d) A dahlia.
15. What does Thomasina do to Septimus?
(a) She blows out his oil lamp.
(b) She takes his hand.
(c) She kisses him.
(d) She draws him out of the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard invites Hannah to London for ________.
2. According to the diagram, what can never be recovered after an action is complete?
3. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
4. At the start of the scene, Bernard is _____________________.
5. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)