|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Septimus burn Lord Byron's letter?
(a) Because the letter offends Lady Croom.
(b) Because the letter offends Septimus.
(c) Because the letter was addressed to Lady Croom.
(d) Because the letter is meant for Thomasina.
2. Who is Lady Croom's latest lover?
(a) Count Zelinsky.
3. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(b) Lord Byron.
4. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for dinner later.
(b) Join her in her sitting room later.
(c) Join her for a bath later.
(d) Join her in the gazebo later.
5. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
(a) The letter is badly written.
(b) He has written the exact same letter to Mrs. Chater.
(c) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) He has written other women love letters as well.
6. What secret does Augustus know about Thomasina?
(a) That she is in love with Byron
(b) That she is secretly a genius
(c) That she is adopted
(d) That she kissed Septimus
7. What can't Noakes provide for the garden?
(a) A hermit for the hermitage.
(b) Rocks for the cliff.
(c) Water for the waterfall.
(d) Flowers for the flowerbed.
8. Bernard refutes Hannah's suggestions about the events of the past by telling her ___________________.
(a) She doesn't care.
(b) She isn't smart enough to understand.
(c) She wasn't there.
(d) She never believed in him.
9. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
10. According to Chloe, what is her mother looking for?
(a) A microscope.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) A thesaurus.
(d) A theodolite.
11. Septimus apologizes for ______________________________.
(a) Bringing an unworthy friend to Lady Croom's home.
(b) Bringing an unworthy lover to Mrs. Croom.
(c) Bringing Byron to Mrs. Chater's room.
(d) Bringing Chater to Byron's room.
12. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
(a) The struggle to know is what makes us matter
(b) The benefits of his discovery will save lives and improve society
(c) The completion of his work will validate Thomasina's genius
(d) She believes he will find validation in the afterlife
13. When Thomasina suggests they must hurry to dance, Septimus responds that __________________.
(a) It would be improper for them to dance.
(b) They do not have time before her mother returns.
(c) They have time.
(d) They cannot waltz to the current song.
14. Hannah leaves because ____________________________.
(a) She has found proof of Lady Croom's affair with Byron.
(b) She has found proof to support Bernard's claim.
(c) She has found proof to refute Bernard's claim.
(d) She had found proof that Septimus was the hermit.
15. What philosophical dilemma is Chloe quizzing Valentine about at the beginning of the scene?
(a) Rationality vs. Romanticism
(b) Good vs. Evil
(c) Science vs. Art
(d) Fate vs. Free Will
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
2. How are the modern characters dressed differently in this scene?
3. What is Septimus doing while the others sleep?
4. Bernard's dialogue reveals _____________________-.
5. Why is Lady Croom upset with Byron?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)