|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard calls Hannah's first book _________________.
(a) A romance novel.
(b) A work of fiction.
(c) A work of historical value.
(d) A novelette.
2. What is Valentine looking for?
(a) Thomasina's drawing of the hermit.
(b) Thomasina's diagram.
(c) Thomasina's turtle.
(d) Thomasina's essay.
3. Hannah does not want to be called ______________.
4. What is Valentine working on at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Planning his proposal to Hannah
(b) Writing a letter to the editor protesting Bernard's findings
(c) Pushing Thomasina's equations through his computer
(d) Looking through the game book for information on Grouses
5. How are the modern characters dressed differently in this scene?
(a) They are wearing Elizabethan clothing.
(b) They are wearing Victorian clothing.
(c) They are wearing Edwardian clothing.
(d) They are wearing Regency clothing.
6. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her in her sitting room later.
(b) Join her in the gazebo later.
(c) Join her for dinner later.
(d) Join her for a bath later.
7. How does Hannah reconcile the tension between science and religion?
(a) Science is God's method of ordering the universe
(b) Science measures what is quantifiable, while religion explains what is qualitative
(c) Science is the countenance of God's creation
(d) Science is valuable as an earthly struggle; religion a cheat
8. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
(a) A bull in a china shop.
(b) A rooster in the henhouse.
(c) A rabid dog.
(d) A lamb among lions.
9. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He defends her.
(b) He pleads with her.
(c) He flatters her.
(d) He threatens to leave her.
10. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
(a) He will not concede any of her points.
(b) He has questioned her research.
(c) He is a sexist.
(d) He has no proof.
11. What is the title of Bernard's publication?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) Even in Arcadia--Sex, Literature, and Death at Sidley Park
(c) Byron's duel, and the hidden genius of Ezra Chater
(d) The wit and wisdom of Thomasina Croom
12. Why is Lady Croom upset with Byron?
(a) She caught Byron leaving Thomasina's room.
(b) She caught Byron leaving Mrs. Chater's room.
(c) She caught Thomasina leaving his room.
(d) She caught Mrs. Chater leaving his room.
13. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(b) He wants her to explain Determinism.
(c) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(d) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
14. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
(a) She is trying to prove he is wrong.
(b) She is objecting to his offensive language.
(c) She is objecting to unsupported statements.
(d) She is afraid to interrupt him aloud.
15. Who has gone by morning?
(a) Only the Chaters.
(b) Brice and the Chaters.
(c) Brice, the Chaters, and Byron.
(d) Only Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bernard's response to Hannah's statement that she has a theory but cannot prove it?
2. What are the four actors onstage doing when the lights go down?
3. Valentine is _____________.
4. What is Septimus doing while the others sleep?
5. Bernard's dialogue reveals _____________________-.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)