|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Bernard's publication?
(a) The wit and wisdom of Thomasina Croom
(b) The Couch of Eros
(c) Byron's duel, and the hidden genius of Ezra Chater
(d) Even in Arcadia--Sex, Literature, and Death at Sidley Park
2. Valentine is _____________.
3. Why is Lady Croom upset with Septimus?
(a) Because he has written her a love letter in the event of his death.
(b) Because he has written a bad review of Byron's poem.
(c) Because he has written Thomasina a love letter in the event of his death.
(d) Because he has written a bad review of Chater's poem.
4. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
(a) The benefits of his discovery will save lives and improve society
(b) She believes he will find validation in the afterlife
(c) The completion of his work will validate Thomasina's genius
(d) The struggle to know is what makes us matter
5. Lady Croom objects to Septimus' love letter because _________________________.
(a) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(b) He has written the exact same letter to Mrs. Chater.
(c) He has written other women love letters as well.
(d) The letter is badly written.
6. Lady Croom compares Noakes to _________________.
(a) A rooster in the henhouse.
(b) A lamb among lions.
(c) A rabid dog.
(d) A bull in a china shop.
7. Bernard and Chloe ________________________.
(a) Were caught falsifying his research.
(b) Were caught together by Chloe's mother.
(c) Were caught leaving together.
(d) Were caught together by Chloe's father.
8. Lady Croom forgives Septimus because _____________________.
(a) He flatters her.
(b) He threatens to leave her.
(c) He defends her.
(d) He pleads with her.
9. How has Lady Croom punished her brother for choosing his acquaintances unwisely?
10. Lady Croom invites Septimus to ____________________.
(a) Join her for a bath later.
(b) Join her in her sitting room later.
(c) Join her for dinner later.
(d) Join her in the gazebo later.
11. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
(a) She is educated beyond eligibility.
(b) She is too sarcastic to be found desireable.
(c) She is too poor to be an eligible bride.
(d) She is too old to be found desireable.
12. What does Bernard suggest is incorrect about Hannah's first book?
(a) The theory she has about Byron.
(b) The picture on the biography page.
(c) The picture on the dust jacket.
(d) The theory she has about Septimus.
13. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(b) Lord Byron.
14. How are the modern characters dressed differently in this scene?
(a) They are wearing Elizabethan clothing.
(b) They are wearing Edwardian clothing.
(c) They are wearing Victorian clothing.
(d) They are wearing Regency clothing.
15. What does Thomasina say is significant about tomorrow?
(a) It is the last day of her life.
(b) It is her seventeenth birthday.
(c) It is the last day of Septimus' employment.
(d) It is her sixteenth birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
2. What sound effect signals a change in eras?
3. Hannah continues to question Bernard's theory about Byron because ___________________.
4. When Thomasina asks Septimus to meet her in her room, he _______________.
5. Who has gone by morning?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)