|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bernard's response to Hannah's statement that she has a theory but cannot prove it?
(a) He tells her she will never publish because she is too timid.
(b) He tells her to wait until she finds proof.
(c) He tells her no good theory can be proven.
(d) He tells her to publish it.
2. How old is Thomasina at this point?
(b) Sixteen and eleven months.
(c) Seventeen and a half.
(d) Sixteen and a half.
3. According to Chole, what is the flaw in the theory of the deterministic universe?
(a) The universe gradually moves from order to chaos
(b) Thomasina's math equations are wrong
(c) It ignores God's role in designing free will
(d) Sexual attraction breaks down the order
4. What assignment does Septimus give Thomasina?
(a) He wants her to explain her drawing of him and Plautus.
(b) He wants her to explain Newton's theories.
(c) He wants her to explain her diagram of heat exchange.
(d) He wants her to explain Determinism.
5. Chloe believes the deterministic universe cannot work because _____________________.
(a) Math will not allow it.
(b) Sex gets in the way.
(c) Egos get in the way.
(d) History gets in the way.
6. Why are the modern characters wearing period clothes in this scene?
(a) They are being photographed before the dance.
(b) They are reenacting Thomasina and Septimus' story.
(c) They are being photographed for Chloe's wedding.
(d) They are being photgraphed for Bernard's article.
7. Valentine describes Thomasina's diagram as ___________________.
(a) A diagram of the future.
(b) A diagram of heat exchange.
(c) A diagram of positive and negative charges.
(d) A diagram of chaos and order.
8. What does Bernard learn about his theory of Byron and the supposed duel with Chater?
(a) He learns that Chater and Byron were not at Sidley Park at the same time.
(b) He learns that Chater killed Byron at Sidley Park.
(c) He learns that Chater and Byron were actually friends.
(d) He learns that Chater was not killed at Sidley Park.
9. Why does Hannah encourage Valentine to continue working on his own equations?
(a) The completion of his work will validate Thomasina's genius
(b) The benefits of his discovery will save lives and improve society
(c) She believes he will find validation in the afterlife
(d) The struggle to know is what makes us matter
10. Who is Lady Croom's latest lover?
(b) Count Zelinsky.
11. Why do Valentine, Bernard, Hannah, and Chloe leave during the scene?
(a) They are being interviewed for the local paper.
(b) They are being photographed for Bernard's book.
(c) They are being photographed for the local paper.
(d) They are being photographed for Hannah's book.
12. Why does Brice bring Chater to the West Indies?
(a) So he can avoid a duel with Septimus.
(b) So he can have an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) So he can avoid a duel with Chater.
(d) So he can be sure Chater is killed.
13. What is Valentine looking for?
(a) Thomasina's drawing of the hermit.
(b) Thomasina's essay.
(c) Thomasina's turtle.
(d) Thomasina's diagram.
14. Who has gone by morning?
(a) Brice and the Chaters.
(b) Only the Chaters.
(c) Brice, the Chaters, and Byron.
(d) Only Byron.
15. Who does Thomasina claim she will marry?
(d) Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernard offer to do for Valentine?
2. Hannah leaves because ____________________________.
3. Lady Croom believes she must marry Thomasina off before _______________________.
4. What does Gus bring Hannah at the end of the scene?
5. Why does Hannah repeatedly raise her hand during Bernard's reading?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)